AOC statement this morning

RABEL222

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2019 02:44 pm
Max and lash. Two of a kind. Claim to be liberals but talk like conservative republicans.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2019 03:03 pm
@RABEL222,
Somehow anyone who questions the extreme ideology that is now called "liberalism" is a "conservative republican"... as if there is no room in between. There was once a time that we liberals believed in free speech and didn't think that asking a woman for a drink was sexual assault.

I don't think anyone who calls themself a "conservative Republican" considers me one of them either. For those of us who don't fit into either of the extremes... there is a real question on how we should vote. I tend to agree with the liberal side more on the issues, but on the question of who is more ridiculous and irritating it is kind of a toss up.

I don't think this insistence of ideological obsequience... you either bow down to the idol of the day or you get pushed away as a heretic... is a good political strategy.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2019 03:22 pm
@blatham,
It makes your small world easier to think I’m something other than honest. It is sometimes sad to realize the world or people I’d previously admired aren’t who they appear to be. LOL, I definitely got an education about members here who I thought were legitimate liberals. Surprise!!!

If you can’t handle facts, just continue to duck and cover as necessary to maintain.

I was very disappointed that AOC left Omar swinging in the wind for very mild and honest statements about AIPAC. I’ve been disappointed a few times with her equivocations and silences. She’s still head and shoulders above the aged cronies.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2019 03:26 pm
@blatham,
You are not well-read enough to say her ‘progressive voice is unquestioned.’ It is coming under questioning.

You’re too limited anymore to make such wide judgments.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 05:50 am
Her "progressive voice" is certainly being questioned by phony-baloney liberals like Max and phony-baloney progressives like Lash. For those two, it's all about tearing down, not building. It's a strong coalition of all "voices" in the Democratic Party which will be needed next year, and one which involves compromise and cooperation--because no one wins if the moderates in the center don't come out to vote.

Ignore or loudly criticize those who come here to make slurs against Democrats; they're a part of the problem, not the solution.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 07:06 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Her "progressive voice" is certainly being questioned by phony-baloney liberals like Max and phony-baloney progressives like Lash. For those two, it's all about tearing down, not building

I love irony.
Lash

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 09:15 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Her "progressive voice" is certainly being questioned by phony-baloney liberals like Max and phony-baloney progressives like Lash. For those two, it's all about tearing down, not building. It's a strong coalition of all "voices" in the Democratic Party which will be needed next year, and one which involves compromise and cooperation--because no one wins if the moderates in the center don't come out to vote.

Ignore or loudly criticize those who come here to make slurs against Democrats; they're a part of the problem, not the solution.

Marshalling a group to loudly criticize people who espouse a certain opinion is briganding- against TOS.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 09:23 am
The inability of ideological liberals to accept people with differences (including people who don't find AOC so hot) is the reason that Trump won in 2016 and the best chance for Trump to win a second term. For whatever excuses they give, the real problem is that a whole lot of people who voted for Obama and hated Trump voted for Trump because the Democrats insulted them. Most people disliked Trump, but the 2016 election was a race to the bottom of which candidate annoyed people more. It turns out that Clinton and the Democrats pissed off more people.

A smart Democratic party will find a way to reach out to people like me, and people like Lash (if the Blatham-Setanta-AOC wing will allow them to).

I want to believe I am a liberal, and that although I disagree with the AOC people I should still consider myself a welcome part of the Democratic movement.... Am I?

I sure hope no one on this thread plans to work on an election campaign this cycle. Can you imagine Setanta on a phone bank?

Olivier5

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 10:33 am
@maxdancona,
How much are you able to "accept people with differences", though?
maxdancona

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 10:40 am
@Olivier5,
Obama and his followers reached out to people with differences. He reached out even to people with whom he disagreed and accepted people with a wide range of beliefs who wanted to be in his coalition. He won (two times).

Clinton and her followers insulted people with differences. She divided people and used insulting people as a way of rewarding her base. She lost.

Many people voted for Trump because they see the Democrats as an angry elitist mob. I think the Democrats can and should move back toward the Obama attitude of reaching out to as many people as possible. Instead there are deplorables and defensiveness.

Olivier5

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 12:03 pm
@maxdancona,
But AOC is not calling people deplorable, and she’s not been a divisive figure, so your beef is ill-placed.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 12:35 pm
@Olivier5,
My complaint about AOC is that she says things that aren't that smart. Her celebrity isn't deserved and fans are among the people who are pushing for ideological purity.

Actually... I think she has been a divisive figure. Maybe she isn't calling for people to be kicked out the party herself, her fans are the people pushing out the moderates.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 01:45 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
My complaint about AOC is that she says things that aren't that smart.

That is what happens when you ad lib. She is told what to say.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 02:02 pm
@maxdancona,
She says things you disagree with, and by your own standard you should be more tolerant of people with different ideas than yours, and you should not push divisive messages about fellow democrats.

She’s not responsible for what her fans say, nor for what her haters say. In fact her celebrity largely comes from people obsessing about her on the right, such as FAUX Noose. It is indeed undeserved in that she hasn’t done much yet, and you would be well in your rights to ignore her. Or you can do like FAUX and become obsessed about her. Your choice.

Personally, I think the celebrity of the Kardashians is totally undeserved, reason for which you won’t see me obsess about them. I just ignore them.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 02:20 pm
@Olivier5,
No. You have the idea of diversity backwards.

I disagree with Blatham, and Setanta, and Lash. I have never said that they weren't liberals, or that they shouldn't be hard a voice in the party. If Setanta or Lash or Blatham criticize Warren (a print Democrats who I personally respect) I don't lose it or tell them they are heretics.

That is how diversity works. AOC is a celebrity who I think is getting too much credit for saying things that aren't too smart. I have never said she doesn't have a place in the Democratic party. I am saying that having unquestionable people in a party is dangerous.

I am not a fan of AOC. I can tell you the exact moment I decided I didn't think she was too smart ifbyou are interested. But it doesn't matter.

You shouldnt have to buy into the celebrity fad of the day. Having everyone in lockstep agreement isn't good for a democratic party anyway.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 02:30 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Having everyone in lockstep agreement isn't good for a democratic party anyway.

Then they are doing great.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 02:35 pm
@coldjoint,
Thanks for the support coldjoint

Do you want to hear my opinion of the state of the Republican party?
glitterbag

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 02:40 pm
I don't understand why so many people are losing their crap over AOC. She is only one member in the House of Representatives, she represents New York's 14th congressional district only since Jan 3, 2019. She is extremely bright, well informed and apparently that's a sinful combination for some folks. But she's been in office less than 3 months, only time will tell how effective she is....I don't think she wants to tank the country.....I doubt that she wants to destroy 'right thinking' Americans nor do I think she's working for a foreign power.

She is a much younger politician than most older Americans are accustomed to, and the criticisms and slights and insults that used to damage or undercut women of the older generation are rolling off her back. All of the fuss budget bullshit that people like McConnell or Louie Gohmert or Matt Gaetz or Tucker Carlson toss out just doesn't stick..... and It's driving some of the dinosaurs crazy.

Give her some time, her constituents will decide if they want to keep her....it's been less than 90 days....I'm certainly willing to give her a fair chance. I don't live in her district or anywhere in New York.......so my opinion doesn't count. I'm certainly not going to form an opinion about her by listening to the malcontents on A2K or the Republican Party disinformation cadre.

maxdancona

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 02:49 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
She is extremely bright, well informed

No... she is not "extremely bright" or well informed. Like Sarah Palin she often has trouble answering straightforward questions and has said a couple pretty stupid things. I was thinking about compiling a list of 5 Sarah Palin quotes and 5 AOC quotes and seeing if people could tell the difference. It would be an interesting exercixe

The reason that many people are annoyed with the phenomenon of AOC. She is being pushed as the next great star of the Democratic party in spite of the fact that what she says is neither original, or intelligent.

She is just parroting what the left base wants to hear. The fact that she can't be questioned or criticized without nasty attacks from her fawning fans is part of the problem.

Here is a challenge for any AOC fan... anyone tell me something that AOC has said that you didn't already believe.

coldjoint

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 03:18 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Do you want to hear my opinion of the state of the Republican party?

Uh, no.
0 Replies