About anti-social personality disorder

XTFM

Reply Wed 13 Mar, 2019 06:13 am
I knew someone who had been diagnosed with anti-social personality disorder. From what I have read about the associated behaviors and symptoms, this makes sense as a diagnosis for him.
My question is this: when a person with this disorder accuses friends, family, etc. of stealing from him, lying to him, and so on, without any evidence to support his claims, is it more likely that he believes it to be true, or that he knows he is not correct, and has convinced himself that accusing people of these things is somehow justified and/or necessary? Since he is a very effective liar, I truly wasn’t able to tell.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 743 • Replies: 3
No top replies

blatham

Reply Wed 13 Mar, 2019 06:20 am
@XTFM,
You can do a google search on the term and get a lot of data to help you better understand this pathology. I'll give you one quote and source as an example.

[The sociopath] "Lies, deceives others, uses false identities or nicknames, and uses others for personal gain." https://www.healthline.com/health/mental-health/sociopath#diagnosis-and-symptoms
maporsche

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2019 10:16 pm
@blatham,
Some studies have shown that ~5% of the population may be sociopathic. See the book ‘The Sociopath Next Door’
blatham

Reply Tue 19 Mar, 2019 05:38 am
@maporsche,
Yes. Years ago I read something that I deemed credible which put it at half that, 2.5. But whatever, it certainly is some percentage of any population.

I think one aspect of this which needs more attention is what seems a natural affinity for sociopath to move themselves into positions of power.
0 Replies