The fly tornado

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 05:09 pm
Starting about this time every year I get this little tornado of flys that spin around my living room in this tight little circle. The only thing I can figure out is that the sky light somehow makes them cluster up since they do their little tornado thing right under the sky lights.

I don't want to have poisons in the house and I can't stand fly paper so what the heck do I do to get rid of these flys?

I don't want to close the house up and I don't want to close the sky lights but these flys are making me insane.

Thank you for any idea or suggestion!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 840 • Replies: 7
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 05:27 pm
Are screens an option?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 05:39 pm
I suppose they are an option but between Mo and the dogs they are probably about a 5 minute option -- that's about how long the last screen door lasted.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 05:47 pm
Ah!

Even if it's like mostly wood with a screen "window" in it?

(Or, I have no clue, but can imagine that a tornado of flies would be crazy-making...)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 06:14 pm
Yes indeed it is crazy making!

There is a sliding door and a big picture window in the room. Mo likes to climb in and out through the window and everybody runs in and out through the door. I don't think another screen would last.

I've thought about trying those citronella (?) candles but having candles in the house with monkey Mo hasn't proved to be too good an idea in the past.

Fly paper is so gross but may be my only option. The room has a vaulted ceiling so a ladder would be required for hanging/changing the nasty thing.

I have never seen anything like this little fly swarm. They just spin and spin in a circle over the same spot all day long, year after year.

It is truly weird.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 09:59 pm
Are you sure they're flies? This is way more typical of midges.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 10:01 pm
Hmmmm....

What is a midge and how do I get rid of them?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 10:08 pm
Midges are like real small flies, and don't worry if that's what they are. As soon as they discover the love of their short lives, they lay eggs on whatever plant that particular kind of midge favors, and die off. Now, if they are as big as a house fly, they aren't midges at all.
0 Replies