landuse thread - Altamont shuts windmills for bird migration

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 02:54 pm
I'm starting this thread with the intention of our sharing links to articles on matters of land use - site design, engineering, architecture, planning, construction, land art....

Please comment on the articles and add some of your own, as the spirit moves you.
I'll change the title when I or someone else adds a new subject link.

Many of the articles that tweak my interest come from one source, ArchNewsNow.com, which follows these subjects in a variety of newspapers, but occasionally from other sources, such as my local newspaper North Coast Journal or from a magazine such as the New Yorker.

One problem I've run into before when trying to give links on some of the pieces I've been interested in is that some of them are from newspapers you have to register to read at, such as the New York Times. I'll probably still give the links, but will try to mention if it is a register-to-read site.

Ahem, the subject in the title is apt to be on the last page...

Here's an article in The Christian Science Monitor on Denver reinventing itself -
Denver Reinvents Itself
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,310 • Replies: 99
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 09:58 am
from the Moscow Times -

a proposed new wing at Hermitage Museum
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 10:06 am
BBB
bm
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 10:09 am
from the Environmental News Network -

illegal mahogony - furniture industry
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 10:12 am
On Portland, Oregon becoming a world class city like London or Paris -

Portland, Oregon
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 10:17 am
I only skimmed the Portland article: It's a great town (much nicer than Seattle, IMHO), and the powers that be have done a good job in reining in sprawl, due to imaginative growth planning. As for becoming "world class," who knows. Is that a good thing? I guess. What are the other w.c. cities in the U.S.?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 10:40 am
I suppose it would be good for some part of the business community, and thus there would be some trickle down. Whether good for the community as a whole - I think that would depend on the breadth of community inclusion, a matter discussed mid article.

World class seems defined early on in the article as "bringing travelers from around the world", and, sometime later, having cutting edge architecture is stated as part of it, in the same sentence as San Francisco is named. But... San Francisco is known to itself for avoidance of cutting edge architecture, at least according to many articles I've read.

This article mentions Atlanta as world class.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 11:25 am
I would imagine NYC is, too. And Chicago. Seattle? We get lots of Asian visitors, many to see Ichiro play baseball. Will Seattle lose its w.c. status if he's traded or retires?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 11:33 am
I think all of those are, as well as Los Angeles. I am thinking it is more of a PR concept than any term of exacting standards.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 11:36 am
I'm sure you're right. I recall when Eugene, OR, where I lived at the time, was billed an "All-American City." Some of us thought that was a hoot, as half the town was high at least part of every day. Or so we believed...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 09:49 am
School libraries

New library spaces in new york public schools were designed probono by various architecture firms. There are several photos in the article.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 07:49 pm
Excavators find coffins.. and whale jaw
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 07:52 pm
<trying to keep up>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 07:57 pm
<grin>

Hmm, did you see the new yorker article about diminishing glaciers? Oh no, now I have to find that link...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 08:00 pm
Saw the cover, and bought the other New York mag today.
Can hardly wait to get next week's issues and see what I'm really going to be able to see Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 08:10 pm
I always have the damndest time nabbing a new yorker link. Anyway, it's a three part series by Kolbert on the Climate of Man, and it started out, in this week's issue (April 25), on an inhabited island in Alaska.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 02:25 pm
ecofriendly wood at lumberyards -
http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0422/p01s04-woam.html
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 10:03 am
On Barnes Museum makeover, a slide show by Witold Rybczynski in Slate
click on the photos to move the slide show along..

Poop powers zoo...

Walker Museum addition and its relationship to the new De Young Museum

John King writes about Minneapolis

Design Quandary at Ground Zero
(note - you have to register to read this article at the NYTimes online)
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 10:14 am
Osso
This is the site for The New Yorker article "The Climate of Man" 3 part series

BBB

I: http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?050425fa_fact3

II: http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?050502fa_fact3

(III: has not posted to the internet yet)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 10:17 am
love Rybczynski

don't always 'get' him, but love him, nonetheless
0 Replies