landuse thread - Altamont shuts windmills for bird migration

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 10:17 am
Is that all three of them, bbb? The article ran three weeks.
Also, we should give a link to Sozobe's thread about it..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 10:24 am
Me too, ehBeth..

and I forgot to say Thanks, bbb..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 10:29 am
Here's the link the the Climate of Man thread; Sozobe gives links to all three parts of the New Yorker article in her first post.
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51153&start=0
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 10:41 am
And now a link with a short bio of Rybczynski, Slate's architecture/urban design critic.
http://info-poland.buffalo.edu/classroom/rybczynski.html
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 10:40 pm
More links -

Toronto on the Design Map - The Globe and the Mail

Santa Fe Civic Center - New Mexican (Click on black rectangle to see more)

Grand Rapids Art Museum - South Bend Tribune

Yorkshire Sculpture Park - Gabion

Towns not ready for aging populations - Wall Street Journal
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 12:21 pm
New German Art Academy in Berlin -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/news/story/0,11711,1488474,00.html
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 12:51 pm
More links from those listed in recent ArchNewsNow newsletters -

re modular home in Sunset magazine - article in SF Chronicle

Cities and movies - article in the Guardian

Birmingham firm helps blacks become architects

http://www.grist.org/news/muck/2005/05/20/little-destiny/index.html
Proposed clean energy mega-mall in upper NY state
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 12:57 pm
Very interesting thread ossobuco!

With this website http://www.bugmenot.com/
one can bypass the web registration of numerous
newspapers etc.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 01:05 pm
Hmm, I'll check that out, CJane - I mostly don't mind registering myself, but on the other hand, I don't feel much like being registered at, say, forty newspapers.

I've been skipping a lot of interesting articles for these lists because the registration business turns off so many people -
what links have been in my posts so far by and large don't require registration. But I've skipped some goodies...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 01:10 pm
Well, it's just an easy, convenient way to bypass the registration. I usually don't register at papers as it usually brings an avalanche of spam mail with it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 01:15 pm
Hmm, really? I've had a lot of spam for years, so it's hard for me to pin down where an increase might come from... but the number of them I get in my spam filter does hold pretty steady over time.

I do always get one individual popup with my washington post email updates, but that's a regular "subscription".
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 01:47 pm
marked
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 03:16 pm
Cities in movies from the perspective of the urban driver Evil or Very Mad

Went downtown this morning to meet the hamburgers - we were meeting to participate in the Doors Open event (the architecture/culture thingie I've posted about elsewhere).

Zooming down Richmond toward the Hilton the <swack> street closed. Confused Swoop to the left, then left, down Adelaide. Back down Richmond in the right lane to get into the parking arcade <swack> parking arcade closed - park >>>>> Swoop left, left, Adelaide, back down Richmond in the left lane and into the Bay-Richmond Parking Arcade.

Cursing in the elevator from the parking arcade - woman tells me Bruce Willis is filming. Toronto is being some American city again. The town's full of shiny happy Hollywood stars (Ben Affleck's filming near work) and shiny happy American money.

It's always fun to spot Toronto in a move - pretending to be Chicago - New York ...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 08:42 pm
Sydney and McMansions

Star Wars Architecture and Planning

San Francisco - Treasure Island

Eleven Most Endangered Buildings, National Historic Trust
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 02:19 pm
Thanks, osso, for starting this thread.
Osso and I exchanged a couple of pms last month in which I mentioned that realjohboy had just finished a little infill project on some property here in Charlottesville VA. Would yall like to hear about how the process went?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 02:39 pm
Yes, absolutely!!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 02:58 pm
Klee Museum in Switzerland by Renzo Piano

Trent University, Ontario
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 05:08 pm
Good evening. I don't have a ready comment on things like Klee, but this may turn out to be an interesting story for yall on land use and urban planning and the forces in play. Or it could crash in flames.
I am going to tell the story in small bits because I hate dreadfully long posts.
A little background music please. Charlottesville VA is about 100 miles south of DC and 70 miles west of Richmond. We are about 20 miles east of the Blue Ridge Mountains that run North-South (N-S).
The metro area is about 100,000 folks and the main industry in town is the University of Virginia, founded by Thomas Jefferson in 1819, and with about 16,000 students. The academic branch of UVA is doing a pretty good job of managing growth, moving slowly and carefully to the west and south and doing some very creative things with infill on the central Grounds (which is our word for Campus).
But then there is the UVA Medical Center, slightly to the east, that has a voracious appetite for land.
And that is where realjohboy comes in.
We were invited to participate in a discussion that began today and ends tomorrow on planning for our little stretch of West Main Street. Main Street with all that a Main Street in any town means.
If yall are interested, I'd like to report, as objectively as possible, how the process works, or perhaps doesn't. A little case study not so much about design but the political process that leads to, I would hope, consensus. Or I might get steam-rolled.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 07:13 pm
I'm all ears.

I'm going to be adding some more design-land use links but let that not deter you, it's just because my newsletters are piling up and I need to process them for what I can link here - many of the links need registering, so I only pull one or two from each newsletter, if that, but 5 newsletters a week sit in my Inbox, plus the odd other source.

Anyway, I am quite interested in how this is all working, or not, for you and Charlottesville. I have been there once, in 1987, when my hub (ex) and I went to see Monticello and the UVA during our trip to check out Washington DC. I lived in Alexandria when I was, lessee, 5, for a few months, faint memories, and had been to DC with the girl scouts when I was 13. This trip in '87 was an adults' venture to walk the mall...
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:17 pm
I think we can have more than one thought going on at once. Post away with your fascinating stuff, and I will try to tell you about how things play out here with a story not so much about the art of design (aesthetics) but the self-interested manueuvering that goes on, and how that works with a governmental body (the city), a quasi-governmental body (UVA) and the private sector (eg johnboy). In an ideal world, it should be a cordial relationship, but that doesn't happen in reality. Johnboy wrote a paper once for a graduate econ course that kept making reference to "Private Wants and Public Needs." (The phrase is cribbed from a book johnboy once read). I look forward to sharing with yall, if you are interested, how there are so many other factors that come into play. Thank you.
0 Replies