Lost Artist

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2019 12:52 am
(Hey, I need some help. Just as some background, I’m 17, I go to an art high school, and I need to choose something to apply for college for soon. I have what’s considered really good test scores and grades, and I’m also very interested in art.)
I know what I want to do, but I don’t.
I love art. Before anything else, even before I am a human, I am an artist.
But I love art so much that I can’t choose. My current “arts” are visual art, film, production design, makeup for film, photography, fashion design, etc. etc. etc. I love it all, and I love it all with rich intellectual depth.
But I don’t want to choose an art, or choose a field, either career-wise OR college-wise, because there’s too many things I’ve been interested in and shown capability and excellence in.
Sometimes, in a way, my art acts in phases, and currently I work a lot in film. I show a lot of talent and passion for film but I feel like it’s just another one of my art phases, that just happened to occur around the time that the world expects me to choose something to do for the rest of my life. I love film, but I love all the other things I’m passionate about. I don’t know what I REALLY want, because when I’m doing one thing, I’ll be wishing I were doing another thing. Then I’ll be doing THAT thing, and I’ll be wishing again for something else. My passion for art is unsatiable in the most frustrating way, it’s like I have so much of it that I can’t put it in one place. And I can’t choose. And I can’t be boxed in or else I’ll be miserable. No potential outcome seems as if it would be fulfilling.
It doesn’t sound like a real problem but this is the main source of stress in my life and has been for months, sometimes I feel like it’s eating me from the inside. I don’t know who to go to for help: I can’t ask my counselor or my therapist, or my mom. I know nobody can help me on this one besides me. I just want to know what I’m supposed to do; I just wanna know what’ll make me happy. And I don’t know where to begin figuring that out.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 3,318 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2019 01:31 am
@quarterlaundry,
First, calm down and relax.

Ask yourself which of the art mediums most interests you and has held your attention more than any of the others. If one in particular stands out, that may be the direction to go.

If there is one area in which you are better at, perhaps consider that as the item to list when applying to colleges and universities.

When selecting a school, try to find one which meets your needs. In this case, a school with top credentials and rankings, along with a good selection of courses in all, or at least most of the subjects you mentioned.

Quite often when applying for college it's difficult to make a decision. It's okay. You can change direction any time you choose. The thing which most excited you now may shift to a a different subject in a year or more. You can also switch to another school if they seem to be more in line with where you feel you are headed.

As to the future and career, calm down. That's still a few years off. A lot can change between now and then. I entered college with a strong interest in history (history major, theology minor) and exited with a degree in science and went on to become a science teacher.

Just remember there are many roads and you can always decide to go along a different one than the one you start out on.

Here's hoping that your future is happy.
farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2019 05:18 am
@quarterlaundry,
why do you think you must specialize and not enjoy "dabbling: in as amany media that your college offers. Id really look at the areas and equipment the school maintains. When you get there as a freshman, you will have several "core" courses that the uNi will rquire for the BFA or BA. You can add or delete programs as the several years go on. I did a BFA while I was finishing my advanced degrees in science. I selected studio art after getting a eal dousing in tuff lik sculpture, printing, and what is now called gamer coding.

I would do as Sturgis says, dont stress out about it becaue you can go as deeply as you wish in your BFA years. No instructor is gonna turn away a student from learning from them , sppecially as your portfolio grows in skills and voice.

I njoyed the almost chaotic ways that Unis allow students to engage in various courses that require skills.

Good Luck.
0 Replies

priyuspeterson

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 01:09 am
@quarterlaundry,
You can try once again focusing on art and if it doesn't seems to work then you can change to some other course.
0 Replies

petrosss

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2019 11:15 pm
@Sturgis,
very good
0 Replies

Gynaa

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2019 11:16 pm
@quarterlaundry,
you know, i really admire your passion and enthusiasm about art. honestly, you are fortunate enough to find out something you really interested in, which most of people are really puzzled in your age. so i think you should be happy not anxious about this. now that you have a clear interest, just insist on your inner real thoughts.despite what you choose, there are always many difficulties and challenges in life. but if you decide to study any subject that interests you, you won't feel scared or anxious in face of these troubles. at the end of the journey, you will be grateful to yourself about the right dicision.
0 Replies