is cheerleading a sport?

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 08:55 pm
Brooke was going to cheerleading practice the other day and didn't see Dennis Rodman approaching....

http://www.jagfire.net/lol/running3qk.gif

I sure hope she's ok.
0 Replies

buckeyegirl7

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 12:56 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Brooke was going to cheerleading practice the other day and didn't see Dennis Rodman approaching....

http://www.jagfire.net/lol/running3qk.gif

I sure hope she's ok.

i don't get that.... but okay... CHEERLEADING IS A SPORT. It is one of the most dangerous sports around... if you think that cheerleading is not a sport, you're crazy. It is absolutely disrespectful for one to say that cheering is not a sport... i love it!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 01:04 pm
Give me an...

S!

GIve me a...

P!

Give me an...

O!

Give me a...

R!

Give me a...

T!

What's it spell???

sport.

WHAT'S IT SPELL?!?!?!

SPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

tracy 4000

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 01:21 am
fatty
to the person who wrote that cheerleading is not a sport because there is no video game to play of it... get real. you are obviously a fat loser who thinks that athletics is getting up from the couch to get your remote control for the playstation. there is a thing called reality. it exists beyond a t.v. Cheerleading is competitive, physically demanding, dangerous, it requires skill, talent, dedication... not only that it's more than just bashing your body into someone like in football or rugby.. it involves strenght, grace, flexibilty... anyone who says it is not a sport, has never cheerleaded competitively.
0 Replies

tracy 4000

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 01:29 am
one more thing
and in addition to the it's not a sport, raw raw raw, pole dancing bullsh*t.... I hate pompoms and cheering at games. My team does it, because we were forced to by the school since they paid for our uniforms. Why would you be a cheerleader when you could play soccer with the boys? well frankly i find balancing a 120lbs girl who is standing on one foot on my hands alone extended above my head is far more impressive than running down the field holding a ball while my teammates rolled around with the opponents.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 07:38 am
Tracy, it isn't nice to call someone you've never met a "fat loser". It sounds like you have the bitchy, stuck up, high-maintance stereotypical cheerleader routine down pat.
0 Replies

tracy 4000

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 01:45 am
okay but pretty sure im not the high maintence bull **** why ? cuz in a fat ugly peice of **** and i dont give a flying **** what people think of what i look like. that's not what cheer is about AT ALL. we are not about make up and being pretty and all that ****. We are about muscle, about throwing up a stunt, and making it work. its nto about wow i threw a good pass but my teammate didn't catch, its about the whole team working TOGETHER to make something work. I played rubgy before and you know what? cheerleading is more intense and more of a sport than that could ever be. I've seen girls push through intense stunts with spraigned backs and broken wrists... I've seen people throw a 140lb girl in the air and catch them and run to throw someone else in the air without catching their ******* breath. anyone that hasn't tried cheer cannot say it isn't a sport.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 01:49 pm
tracy_4000 wrote:
I played rubgy before and you know what? cheerleading is more intense and more of a sport than that could ever be.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing LMFAO yeah whatever...go lift some pom poms!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 01:58 pm
tracy_4000 wrote:
okay but pretty sure im not the high maintence bull **** why ? cuz in a fat ugly peice of **** and i dont give a flying **** what people think of what i look like. that's not what cheer is about AT ALL. we are not about make up and being pretty and all that ****. We are about muscle, about throwing up a stunt, and making it work. its nto about wow i threw a good pass but my teammate didn't catch, its about the whole team working TOGETHER to make something work. I played rubgy before and you know what? cheerleading is more intense and more of a sport than that could ever be. I've seen girls push through intense stunts with spraigned backs and broken wrists... I've seen people throw a 140lb girl in the air and catch them and run to throw someone else in the air without catching their **** breath. anyone that hasn't tried cheer cannot say it isn't a sport.

Nope, you got that bitchy routine down just fine...no need to practice.
0 Replies

just me3

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 06:11 pm
it is a sport!
ok ok ok tracy_4000 i completely agree that cheerleading is a sport and that people deff. do not appreciate it like they should cuz i am a cheerleader and it does take a lot of work. Our cheer team goes to the gym twice a week to lift weights and practice 2 hours each day plus games and competitions. And above all that i keep up a straight A average. but you do need to calm down because people wont listen to you if you are going to bitch and be so defensive. I know it is hard to though when people make comments like

KiwiChic LMFAO yeah whatever...go lift some pom poms!

i dont know why you have to say things like that even if you dont believe cheerleading is a sport, you should be respectful to the people who love it and who work hard doing it. and just so you know a lot of teams do'nt even use pom poms ... we lift girls in the air! that comment was just rude!

well anyway i just wish people who attack cheerleading would be more respectful about it and maybe even know what we do instead of sit there and make fun of it Confused
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 07:23 pm
Re: it is a sport!
just me<3 wrote:
ok ok ok tracy_4000 KiwiChic LMFAO yeah whatever...go lift some pom poms!

i dont know why you have to say things like that even if you dont believe cheerleading is a sport, you should be respectful to the people who love it and who work hard doing it. and just so you know a lot of teams do'nt even use pom poms ... we lift girls in the air! that comment was just rude!

well anyway i just wish people who attack cheerleading would be more respectful about it and maybe even know what we do instead of sit there and make fun of it Confused

I found that the comment "Cheerleading was more intense and more of a sport than Rugby" hilariously amusing, being that Im from a Rugby playing Nation and cheerleaders are just half time entertainment for the lads here, which most of them dont even watch as they are off getting their beers which shows just how serious it is taken....
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 08:29 pm
The different cheerleading competitons, certainly bring light to the idea of cheerleading being a sport.

One thing for sure - you have to be an exceptional athlete in order to be a good cheerleader. And most are.

The intense physical training that any good instructor will put you through ....... is NOT done so you have a nice toned body to flaunt around at a game. Though many that do not understand what is involved - may look at it that way.

A cheerleader must be strong so she/he can toss and catch bodies. (Which are a lot heavier than footballs. :wink: )

A cheerleader must have a great amount of poise - like dancers must have. Everything she does must be done in sync.

A cheerleader must have the flexibility of a gymnast. She does an enormous amount of twists and turns and jumps - not to mention full splits.

There is no such thing as getting out of school for the summer. A cheerleader must continue to work out and attend cheerleading camp.

A cheerleader is expected to keep her grades up or risk being dropped from the squad. So, no matter how many times a week she has practice - she best find the time to do her hw and study.

Cheerleading is much more than shakin' your booty for an audience.

Too bad it gets such a bad rap from those that do not understand it.

Hey, just me<3 ....... don't worry about what others think. It's just their lack of understanding, tis all. You should be proud of your accomplishment! Smile Sounds like you are doing an awesome job, sweetie.

Keep up the good work!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 08:53 pm
prettygirl wrote:
is cheerleading a sport?
It can be for the winning team after the game Twisted Evil

Truthfully sure why not!

Sport:
Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 09:04 pm
I think of cheerleading as sometimes athletic, and often extremely athletic. I think of it as competitive, often extremely competitive.
I don't think of it as a sport.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 10:41 pm
Is noncompetitive skiing a sport?
Is noncompetitive swimming a sport?
Or do you figure cheerleading is more akin to modern dance?
0 Replies