POMEGRANATES, WHAT DO I DO WITH THEM? by BBB

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 10:31 am
POMEGRANATES, WHAT DO I DO WITH THEM?
By BumbleBeeBoogie

My favorite way to use pomegranate seeds is to toss them into fruit salads. My winter season Waldorf salads always sparkle with tangy ruby pomegranate seeds. They also are great in green and spinach salads, and even soups and stews. Try a leg of lamb with a wine sauce that include pomegranates, you'll love it.

Pomegranates (from the Latin name "Many-seeded apple") are native to the Middle East and thrive in dry, hot climates. The pomegranate of choice is the "Wonderful" ranging in size from a baseball to a small grapefruit, with a tough but thin skin.

When selecting a pomegranate, look for relatively large fruits, especially those that seem heavy for their size, which is an indication of juiciness. A deep red color is fine, but not imperative. A nice luster is good. A dull finish means old fruit. Beware of pomegranates with cuts or splits because they won't store well. Pomegranates store well at home in the refrigerator for at least two to three weeks. Pomegranates are high in potassium and have some vitamin C. Their peak season is October and November.

How do you get to the seeds? The meat of the pomegranate consists of clusters of tiny, edible seeds surrounded by a juicy, sweet-tart, crimson-colored pulp. These clusters are encased in a white, spongy membrane. If you follow the following procedure, you can get at these wonderful seeds easily:

With a sharp knife, slice off both ends and score, north to south, the skin only into orange peel wedges. Fill a large bowl or pot with cold water and let the pomegranate soak there for a few minutes.

Then, while holding it under water, crack open the fruit along the cut scores. With your fingers, flick the seeds out from the membrane. The seeds will sink to the bottom, while the non-edible membrane debris will float to the top. Skim this off, and then drain the water in a colander or sieve.

Not only do you now have the wonderful seeds, but you've avoided the crimson red juice, which is strong enough to stain stainless steel. Is it any wonder that pomegranate juice has been used for centuries to dye fabrics and yarns?

The best and easiest way to enjoy fresh pomegranate juice just like the ancient Persian spice traders did, is as follows:

Roll the pomegranate on a firm surface (kitchen counter top or table. When all of the popping and snapping has ceased, poke a hole in the pomegranate with a sharp knife, insert a straw and sip---or just squeeze the juice into a glass and slurp.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,608 • Replies: 11
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 12:30 am
Yes, and keep the juice off your clothing. c.i.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 01:09 am
yum!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 12:26 pm
When I was a child, our friends lived on the farm in Sacramento, and we were city folks. They invited us to visit once in a while, and they had some pomegranate trees. That's the first first time I ate that fruit. During the past fifty years or so, I've eaten pomegranate less than a dozen times. c.i.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 02:01 pm
Um, I think you are supposed to eat the seeds.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 02:12 pm
Yes, the seeds.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 02:56 pm
I like to prepare homemade pomegranate syrup. I just put half a jar of seeds and cover them with sugar. Osmotic pressure gradient makes the juice to transude into sugar, and a sufficient amount of syrup appears after 2-3 days of treatment described above. I drink it with tasteless soda when I get fed up with different "Colas".
Seeds are edible per se, but often they are too much sour to eat them without anything.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 05:31 pm
Eat them and think of a wonderful version of the legend, in a song by a British singer/songwriter in which Pluto and his bride actually love each other and she was a willing visitor.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 10:50 am
Update: They're everywhere now! And, they're just not for Demeter's daughter anymore!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 09:05 am
Recommended for recipes and for reading: Chez Panisse Fruits by Alice Waters.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 09:21 am
My mom used to make pomegranite (pomegranate, pomegrant, whatever)jelly. Delicious on homemade biscuits!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 09:38 am
I bet it was!
0 Replies