Some Self-Developed BW Photos

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 02:13 am
These have been gathering dust on my hard drive for a while.

They aren't beautiful, but I think they'll do. Perhaps the dirt, grit, and faded edges add character to them, or maybe I'm just kidding myself.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/VijchtiDoodah/Escalator.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,476 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Individual

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 02:33 am
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/VijchtiDoodah/Adam2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/VijchtiDoodah/Adam1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/VijchtiDoodah/Building.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/VijchtiDoodah/Hands.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/VijchtiDoodah/Thinking.jpg
0 Replies

SlyEnemy

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 02:49 am
Excellent! I love black and white photo's, especially used in the world we live in today. There's a wonderful contrast between the retro-esque feel of black and white against the technological advantages of today.
The only picture I wasn't so keen on was the hands holdy. Slightly cliched perhaps? I felt like I'd seen the picture a thousand times before, though maybe that's the idea?
I'd say the last picture is my favourite though, the old lady. I think it's something to do with the window to her left, it looks like life is coming to an end and she's contemplating her last moments of Earth.
Am I reading too much into this? Forget what I just said actually, I say: "YOR PICTERS ROXXOR!!!"
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 04:26 am
Actually, someone else told me almost the exact same thing when I showed them the picture. She went on and on about how her right hand is illuminated and that's the hand of god...then I told her the truth - the old lady was actually staring down her daunting taxes and bills.

About the holding hands one, definitely cliche. But I don't think that makes the picture any less cute, just less original.

Thank you for your comments, Sly!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 05:38 am
Ooooh, I like!!!

I'm not a photographer so I can't really judge, but I like the buildings and escalators in black and white which is in contrast to their modernity.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 10:58 am
Great pics Individual!

The first of the empty escalator is my favorite. Great perspective shot.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 11:10 am
Oh, the hands are gorgeous!

What kind of a camera did you use?

This gets me really wanting to do some B & W photography...
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 02:34 pm
Thank you, all.

Sublime, that's my favorite too. I like how there's not only a contrast between the old-style black and white with how modern it is, but also between the sharp rows of grooves and the smooth distortion caused by the plastic around it.

Sozobe, I used a Minolta Maxxum 5. You should definitely get into Black and White photography, but don't forget to show off your pictures if you do.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 02:44 pm
I like the hands photo. The older woman is wearing PressOn Nails...

I like the escalator photo for many reasons having to do with perspective, etc., but also because I like the zigzag weave effects: they remind me of certain materials, such as Missoni knit fabrics. Cloth of course is a soft thing, or usually is, and the link to cloth in my mind plus the lacyness of the play of light on the escalator treads bring a soft heart to a steel and glass frame. The steps work like a carpet moving down into the picture.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 02:49 pm
very nice indeed;

however allow me a few words in criticism of the medium, NOT the work. I have droped black and white as i find it does not give the 'full picture'. It's like analogue watches; to me they no longer make sense, when the digital is available, and 12 hours should now be replaced with the true twenty four.

i am uncomfortable going backwards; that said your work shows great promise, i would love to see the same shots in colour. Colour is, i think harder to get equivalent results, but bears greater rewards, when successful.

A digital camera allows both, as you can render the image in monochrome if you wish.

[as we stride confidently into new territory, let us look back only to learn.]
0 Replies

SlyEnemy

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 03:09 pm
BoGoWo wrote:
A digital camera allows both, as you can render the image in monochrome if you wish.

[as we stride confidently into new territory, let us look back only to learn.]

But surely the romanticism of using a camera, non-digital and developing the pictures yourself is far more satisfying. Why listen to CD's when you can listen to Vinyl? Just because technology advances doesn't mean we should forget past procedures.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 03:38 pm
BoGoWo, I understand your point, but I don't think that art can go backwards or forwards - it can only expand.

For instance, if digital photography in color is what we should use to express ourselves, then past forms such as paint and pencil are obsolete. But I don't think that they are, they're just another way to get a feeling across.

However, I would love to get a nice digital camera and be able to edit my pictures however I please.

Thanks for your criticism BoGoWo.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 05:51 am
Individual wrote:
BoGoWo, I understand your point, but I don't think that art can go backwards or forwards - it can only expand.

For instance, if digital photography in color is what we should use to express ourselves, then past forms such as paint and pencil are obsolete. But I don't think that they are, they're just another way to get a feeling across.

However, I would love to get a nice digital camera and be able to edit my pictures however I please.

Thanks for your criticism BoGoWo.

I agree - black and white images can have a lovely quality that colour doesn't sometimes.

I haven't done any b&w for a while but loved developing and printing my own stuff - you can really make an image with good printing.

Having said that, I love colour too - as anyone who has seen my paintings will know Very Happy
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 07:49 am
I like black and white photos. With the right subject they can be very dramatic. Yes, very nice.

AE
0 Replies