Tourists endanger legendary Inca citadel of Machu Picchu

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 11:15 am
Fri, Apr 15, 2005

AFP Features
AFP
Tourists endanger legendary Inca citadel of Machu Picchu

MACHU PICCHU, Peru (AFP) - Overrun by tourists in past years, the legendary Inca citadel of Machu Picchu has been so damaged that the United Nations has threatened to list it as one of the world's most endangered monuments if the Peruvian government does move to protect it.

Forty years ago a visitor could climb up to the 15th century sanctuary 2,430 meters (7,972 feet) high in the Peruvian Andes by taxi, where a sleepy guard would lift a bamboo-and-string barrier allowing tourists a private visit.

Today there are official ticket takers, a parking lot, a deluxe hotel, shops and a battalion of guides to direct the army of tourists that arrive each day through the stone buildings and temples of the ancient city.

According to Peru's National Institute of Culture, each year some 800,000 people visit Machu Picchu, dropping off some 200 million dollars.

Every day trains of blue railroad cars snakes through the Urubamba Valley from Cuzco carrying up to 2,500 tourists, who then climb aboard tour buses for the final trip up a steep and winding road to the city.

Upon arrival the tourists are assailed by vendors lining the paths.

Machu Picchu was discovered in 1911 by American explorer Hiram Bingham, and was named a Unesco World Heritage Site in 1983. The site however has been heavily damaged by centuries of rain and poor drainage, as well as by the construction of the village of Aguas Calientes (Hot Springs) at the mountain base.

Aguas Calientes, which had only a dozen or so houses in the 1970s, is now a hive of tourist businesses with some 180 restaurants, hotels and souvenir boutiques.

With tourism a major foreign exchange earner, the Peruvian government has fueled the boom of visitors by heavily advertising the site.

Machu Picchu also attracts a steady stream of "New Age" mystical worshippers who visit the site for shamanist rites and therapies which they say gives them "vital energy".

But the excessive commercialization of the Incan citadel has provoking a backlash. Anger peaked in 2000, when a crane damaged the Intiwatana -- the site's sacred stone pillar known as "the hitching post of the sun" -- during the filming of a beer commercial.

The accident unleashed an outcry in Peruvian media and among archeological conservation groups.

Faced with this onslaught, Unesco's World Heritage Committee stepped up its warnings in recent years, saying there were problems with site management and conservation.

The committee could place Machu Picchu on its list of endangered sites when it meets in two months in South Africa. Making such a designation alerts the international community and helps governments take appropriate steps for protection.

In March, Machu Picchu site director Fernando Astete said that one of the the biggest threats to the ruins is water accumulation and seepage.

"The monument can take 2,500 visitors a day," he said, adding however that research has shown "a risk" in taking so many tourists. "We will without a doubt make some adjustments" to the tourist flow, he said.

Currently, 25 of the 788 World Heritage sites are considered under threat, victims of pollution, poaching, uncontrolled urbanization, tourism, war and natural disasters.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 833 • Replies: 8
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 01:30 pm
I still want to set up a Latin American chicken joint. You know, call it Itza Chicken.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 01:47 pm
Bob, Roger is such a cut up, is he not? Actually, the same thing is happening in Angkor kahn and Angkor Wat:

http://www.cambodiaadventures.com/cityguides/rep_about.html

If I misspelled the ruins, don't care! Razz
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 01:52 pm
Letty my love make all the mistakes you want. If we were perfect we wouldn't be human.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 02:00 pm
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. ~A.A. Milne Laughing

Hey, Rog. Where's your rat, and where's Bob's Hawk?
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 06:17 am
I tried to put my hawk back in it's little cage. I guess it wanted to be free as the only thing accomplished was proving I can be inept. This depite instructions in glorious detail I might add. If I run into Cinderella I'll see if I can borrow her fairy godmother's magic wand.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 06:41 am
been there , bought a kipus. We were kind of put off at MP because the controls that are put in for site control had never been considered to be necessary. if we were just allowed to wander all over the place at Mesa Verde or Bandolier wed be arrested.Im glad its at least been recognized.
Theres a fine line between passive visitation and destructive invasion.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 09:04 pm
They do a pretty decent job on the Galapagos Islands. Everybody who visits must have a naturalist with them, and stay within the boundries they established. Visitors still get great opportuniteis to take pictures of wildlife, and birds don't fly away when you take their picture. On one of our boatings to a shallow area, we saw a shark, stingray and turtle all gathered in one place. Our guide told us that is an unusual site even for them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 10:29 pm
I am not actually sure if this is an oppressor book or what...
but I appreciated it in many ways, and recommend it to others so we can talk about it.

http://www.randomhouse.com/boldtype/0697/shakespeare/
0 Replies