Saving Outlook Express folder of mails for external use?

nimh

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 10:51 am
Hello.

At my work, I use Outlook Express. At home, I don't have Outlook. These are my last few hours at this job. I have a "Personal" folder in my email, the contents of which I would like to take home, in a way that enables me to read the messages, somehow, on my home computer. Is there a fast way to go about this?

I have a brand new memory stick with more than enough space - its process and usability I'm nonplussed about. I can't find a way to just save the whole folder - only individual emails. But open all X hundred emails individually and save them one by one? Not going to happen. I found a file called personal.dbx in C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxx\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\etc, but have seen no way in which I would be able to open it and have it be readable? Would I at least be able to open the emails if I copied that file if I were to have Outlook Express at home?

Thats at least two questions, I know. All rapid-response-help greatly appreciated though. <nods>
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 822 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 11:39 am
This should give you the information that you require

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1659335,00.asp
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 12:53 pm
Thanks Intrepid. That answers my second question: how to save, transfer and reaccess my files if I have Outlook Express on my home computer as well.

I don't, though, don't like it much. I suppose I could reinstall it somehow. Brings me back to my first question: is there also a way to save these messages in a way that I can access them externally, outside of Outlook?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 01:34 pm
You could save them as text files, but you would have to do them individually :-(
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 08:33 pm
Dummy here, can't you forward them to home?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 04:17 am
Several hundred of 'em, Osso? Pasting in my address into the "To" field of each of 'em would have cost as much time as saving each of 'em as a text file ... apparently the only other way to go about it.

I ended up just copying the .dbx file onto my memory stick. I'll have to reinstall Outlook somehow again on this computer some day to access the mails that are ensconced into it, I suppose.

Some things I really hate about technical 'progress'. I remember the first email programme I used, Nupop, and each message would simply be a numbered file of its own, that you could open in Notepad. OK, they didnt have attachments back then I think. But now, with how it works these days, you cant open any email that was received using one email programme with any other programme. It sucks. I have a big folder with emails from my Pegasus Mail days too that I cant access anymore (and I need this guy's email address that I used to correspond with ... its in there, somewhere).

Thats subject for another question, by the way. I used to use Pegasus, then one day my computer crashed and I had to reinstall everything, I think - or perhaps its when I got this computer in the first place and had to move everything here from my old one (laptop). So I moved all my Pegasus mailboxes onto here and tried reinstalling Pegasus from the download (it is/was a free download). But I never got to get the newly reinstalled Pegasus programme to show up those old mailboxes that I put right back into the same place they used to be in. I'll have to get back to that some time ...

( Idea perhaps I should use the same method Intrepid posted about Outlook ... copy those mailbox files into another folder temporarily, create mailboxes with the same names into the empty mail programme, copy the old mailbox files back into place, see what happens ...)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 11:59 pm
Outlook or Outlook Express?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 02:43 am
It was Outlook Express..
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 03:34 am
nimh: Which e-mail client do you have at home? Can it import Outlook Express's .dbx files? (These may be stupid questions)

Background: The idea that first came to me is that you save your mails to a .dbx file now. Later, without the time pressure of having to do it immediately now, you could either use or download a mail client that can read dbx files (such as Netscape messenger). You would then import them as, in the example of Netscape, described here. It's still awkward, but should be managable.

(Edit: Oops, didn't pay attention to the date of the first post. Never mind.)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 11:33 pm
nimh wrote:
It was Outlook Express..

Gotcha. You'd said as much but later abbreviated and some confuse the two.

You also mentioned that it wasn't installed, and it usually ships with windows so I thought you might mean Outlook.

Anywho, what you could have done (and if others find it they can do this as well) is go to your inbox, press CTRL A and then drag the emails to a windows explorer window (make sure to choose a folder for them).

They will then be saved as individual .eml files, which several applications read. Edit: Including a text editor like notepad.

There is softeware that will export to HTML etc as well. Ultimately, what one should use really depends on what one wants to do with them afterward.

e.g. getting them in html would not really help if you want to import them into a different client.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier..
0 Replies