Oil and water. And shoes.

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 10:12 am
I have a new pair of beautiful shoes that i paid through my nose for. Vegetable-colored leather (I'm told that's a real expression, they are simply light brown, with an orangy tint) high heeled italian shoes. Naturally, i had to do something to them after wearing them maybe two or three times. A big drop of oil plopped right smack in the middle of one of them. Is there any way how to get it out? Or do I have to oil both my shoes, which will inevitably turn them much darker?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,228 • Replies: 10
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 10:34 am
I haven't had a lot of luck at removing oil stains from leather in the past. But that was before the internet ...

Quote:
13. Oil Stain Removal from Leather Upholstery
To remove small oil stains from leather upholstery, rub corn starch briskly into the stain with your fingers until the heat from the friction is felt. That heat loosens the oil and allows the corn starch to absorb the oil before the leather can. Vacuum or brush the powder off. Repeat until the stain is gone. Larger stains will require professional treatment.

link
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 10:36 am
oooh. will definitely try that. if that won't work, i'll just oil the whole damn things and make them dark. they will still be breathtaking, hopefully.

...i knew ehbeth would have a word of advice on shoes!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 10:40 am
I'm sure you won't be too startled to discover I have a pair of exactly that colour of leather shoe, though I would have called it vegetable-dyed rather than vegetable-coloured.

(Mine is a very high-heeled Mary Jane)
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 10:42 am
not too startled, no. i'd be startled to know that you don't have some type of a shoe in your closet!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 11:04 am
Embarrassed
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 05:37 pm
Dag - have you tried it yet? Did it work? That techinique sounds promising.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 05:41 pm
well, i didn't have corn starch. only rice flower. i rubbed the rice flower, and i think it soaked a bit in, but perhaps corn starch would work better. gotta git some.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 05:46 pm
we have some
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 05:46 pm
errrrrrrr, yeah
corn starch and rice flour are rather different critters
but the absorbency of the rice flour shouldn't have hurt anything
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 05:53 pm
nah, it didn't hurt the shoes. it just looks silly - to have shoes on the kitchen counter sprinkled with white powder.
0 Replies