Confused on Religion! Need Insight

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:48 am
victory
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 10:44 pm
Still waiting for those innumerable examples of order throwing itself together from chaos that are supposedly so common in the real universe. C'mon guys there should be LOTS of examples of this if it were so.

Remember? It's supposedly happening all the time. It's quite common. Not even odd enough to make headlines.

Not theory, now. Let's see some verifiable instances and lots of them.

Let's start cranking out (no pun intended) those examples! There should be thousands to chose from, all easily verifiable.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 10:51 pm
We gave you plenty of them, you didn't like them.
Your problem.

Still waiting for your mathematical proof of a creator.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 09:35 am
None so blind but those who will not see, and no blinders more effective than those formed of faith. I draw your attention once more to Loernz, real life.

What so far you have presented is desperate, contrarian, misininformed, psuedoscientific rambling. It is you who must supply proof should you wish to establish your proposition as anything more than folkloric superstition.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 01:53 pm
Personally I think any god who could be 'proved' to be anything, even proved to be real, would not be much of a god. Just my opinion though.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 02:47 pm
I agree with Foxfyre. It kind of almost changes the definition of 'God.' Once you present mathematical proof, a god -- any god -- is just another dry scientific fact, of no interest to us imaginative and artistic types.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 03:33 pm
Yeah, I think Foxfyre nailed that.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 04:54 pm
dont be silly

if you proved god

that would be the most outstanding thing ever

god would not be diminished because he [carefully adding she or it or of no sexual gender, race religion ethinic origin political disposition, whether believer or not, in father christmas, buddha, mohammed or jesus christ....er where was i] oh yes because he was proven.

just the opposite
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 09:19 pm
But if God is proven, then it would only be because we had the ability to reason, see, understand, consider, etc. etc. sufficiently to define God. In other words, God would have to be small enough and of such limited scope that man could comprehend Him.

As I think God is more than all of us who live, have ever lived, or will ever live can ever fully understand or contemplate, then God shall ever remain unknowable and unprovable.

I am comforted by belief that God is more than I am or can ever be. I don't want the universe or all eternal possibilities to be limited to what I can know and understand.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 11:02 pm
All a god needs to do is put the truth into each of our minds.

Instead he seems to prefer the game of making the entire universe look like it would have been just fine without him.

Funny guy...(I know...mysterious ways.....hilarious)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:05 am
There's always Pascal's Wager
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 02:46 am
he should have stuck with barometers
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 02:53 am
Pascal's;

It's a good bet if you place no value on truth and you're ok with self-delusion.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 02:59 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
he should have stuck with barometers

I disagree, steve. As an exercise in pure logic, the argument is intriguing. (Not necessarily persuasive but intriguig.)
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 04:44 am
Earl writes
Quote:
All a god needs to do is put the truth into each of our minds.

Instead he seems to prefer the game of making the entire universe look like it would have been just fine without him.

Or again, if He put all he knows into your head, you could be a god, yes? Or would you be a puppet incapable of reason or will other than how he manipulated the strings?

I accept that the idea that the universe would be just fine without him looks good to you. And of course you are nowhere near alone in that idea and, as that cannot be proved or disproved any more than God can be proved or disproved, I think you are on a sound logical foundation with your conclusion.

But simply based on other comments in this thread alone, it is obvious that many do not think the universe looks like it would have been just fine all by itself. Some see an order to the universe that seems beyond all reason if there is not some intelligence behind it. This idea also cannot be proved or disproved and I think is also on sound logical foundation.

The second Creation story of the Old Testament (Genesis 2) tells the story of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. It is an account of the crafty serpent convincing humankind that it was possible to know what God knows. Because they were not satisfied to just let God be God and wanted to be what He was, they spoiled their piece of God's perfect creation and have been screwing it up ever since. And God loves them anyway.

I know of no Jews and very few Christians who consider this story to be anything other than a metaphorical analogy, but the lesson it teaches is poignant; i.e. whenever humankind attempts to be God or put itself on a par with God or ignores or refuses those instructions that God puts in its head, it is going to screw up God's perfect creation.

So who is right? The athiest who believes the universe happened by chance? Or the theist who believes the universe happened by intelligent design? So long as we mere mortals keep reaching for the answers to those questions, and each answer generates new questions, we keep moving forward. Maybe that's how God puts the truth into our heads?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 05:25 am
foxfyre said "many do not think the universe looks like it would have been just fine all by itself."

This is the anthropic principle. The Universe is like it is because it is what it is, and unless it was like it is, we would not exist and would not be here to observe it. If you get my meaning.

There are the strong and weak versons of the anthropic principle, not sure which this is...no doubt someone will illuminate.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 05:38 am
Well I sure can't argue that the universe is like it is becaue it is what it is, Steve. The question that science has yet not even touched, however, is how did it get here in the first place? It has either always been here or something came from nothing. Or there is a supernatural force behind it that science cannot reach.

All these are quite mind boggling.

Quote:
anthropic principle

: either of two principles in cosmology: a : conditions that are observed in the universe must allow the observer to exist; called also weak anthropic principle b : the universe must have properties that make inevitable the existence of intelligent life; called also strong anthropic principle
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 05:42 am
Re: Confused on Religion! Need Insight
NumbFaint wrote:
I'm attending college this year and am a still in the youthful "question" phase of my life. My parents have never really instilled religion in my life, they let me believe what I want to.

So far I'm confused about religion; I've heard stories on creation of Adam and Eve from the Bible but they don't add up. What I mean is, how can we discredit science? There are dinosaur bones, findings of new types of cavemen that bridge the link of evolution. Humans have tailbones, and nature to this day is still evolving.

Right now I believe that people believe in Religion to make worth in their lives. To believe in a god gives one hope that someone is always there. I deeply respect any form of god because they instill values and principles to better life.

What bugs me the most is when other religions denounce other religions. I believe that any sort of god that one believes in, whether it be a shoe still gives the person a meaning to life.

Right now, I think Buddhism is a great religion.

What are your guy's feelings about religion?

I view Christianity somewhat the way Churchill viewed democracy, i.e. as the worst religion there could possibly be, except for all those other religions, including evolutionism.

Nobody defends any scientific theory the way evolution is defended, i.e. at all cost, to the last man, despite the overwhelming evidence of the fossil record and all other relevant facts, etc. Only religions are defended like that.

The two big hangups most people have with religion are one evolution, and two the problem of evil.

Evolution has been overwhelmingly disproven and discredited over the last century. At present, it is being defended by second-raters; nobody with brains or talent is defending it any longer.

And then there's "the problem of evil", i.e. how does an omnipotent and loving God allow the hardships which we see in our physical world. There are several similar and related problems, such as if the son of god actually came to this world 2000 years ago, how did the American Indians go 1500 years without ever hearing about it? Again, how does an omnipotent and loving God create the creatures of Pandora's box, biting flies, mosquitos, ticks, fleas, chiggers, and disease vectors?

There are a few others. All such questions basically hang on the question of what the word "omnipotent" is supposed to mean. Most people view it as meaning "having all the power which anybody could imagine", and it is that definition which leads to conundrums and breakdowns of logic. A more rational definition would be "having all the power that there actually is", and THAT definition does not lead to conundrums.

That view says that the spirit world and our physical realm are strongly separated, at least in our age of the world, and that the two are orthoganal to eachother and that the spirit world actually has little if any real power to act within our realm; that we in fact might have originally been put here to PROVIDE the spirit world with some degree of instrumentality in this physical realm. THAT of course would require solid and reliable communications between the two realms, which we do not presently have.

That view also says that on the day that Christ was born into our physical realm, he was subject to all of the same physical laws which we are subject to, including not being able to get from Israel to Mexico or Kansas without airplanes.

That view also says that a loving God simply did not create the creatures of Pandora's box. The best evidence we have at present is that the engineering and re-engineering of complex life forms was some sort of a cottage industry or something like that in past ages and that more than one pair of hands was involved, and that whoever was responsible for the existence of biting flies, ticks, and chiggers, is not anybody we need to worship, to say the least. There is solid evidence of genetic engineering and re-engineering even in our own genome:

Quote:

Henry Gee
Monday February 12, 2001
The Guardian

The potentially-poisonous Japanese fugu fish has achieved notoriety, at least among scientists who haven't eaten any, because it has a genome that can be best described as "concise". There is no "junk" DNA, no waste, no nonsense. You get exactly what it says on the tin. This makes its genome very easy to deal with in the laboratory: it is close
to being the perfect genetic instruction set. Take all the genes you need to make an animal and no more, stir, and you'd get fugu. Now, most people would hardly rate the fugu fish as the acme of creation. If it were, it would be eating us, and not the other way round. But here is
a paradox. The human genome probably does not contain significantly more genes than the fugu fish. What sets it apart is - and there is no more succinct way to put this - rubbish.

The human genome is more than 95% rubbish. Fewer than 5% of the 3.2bn As, Cs, Gs and Ts that make up the human genome are actually found in genes. It is more litter-strewn than any genome completely sequenced so far. It is believed to contain just under 31,780 genes, only about half as many again as found in the simple roundworm Caenorhabditis elegans (19,099 genes): yet in terms of bulk DNA content, the human genome is almost 30 times the size.A lot is just rubbish, plain and simple. But at least half the genome is
rubbish of a special kind - transposable elements. These are small segments of DNA that show signs of having once been the genomes of independent entities. Although rather small, they often contain sequences that signal cellular machinery to transcribe them (that is, to switch them on). They may also contain genetic instructions for enzymes whose function is to make copies and insert the copies elsewhere in the genome. These transposable elements litter the human genome in their hundreds of thousands. Many contain genes for an enzyme called reverse transcriptase - essential for a transposable element to integrate itself into the host DNA.

The chilling part is that reverse transcriptase is a key feature of retroviruses such as HIV-1, the human immunodeficiency virus. Much of the genome itself - at least half its bulk - may have consisted of DNA that started out, perhaps millions of years ago, as independent viruses or
virus-like entities. To make matters worse, hundreds of genes, containing instructions for at least 223 proteins, seem to have been imported directly from bacteria. Some are responsible for features of human metabolism otherwise hard to explain away as quirks of evolution - such as our ability to metabolise psychotropic drugs. Thus, monoamine oxidase is involved in metabolising alcohol.

If the import of bacterial genes for novel purposes (such as drug resistance) sounds disturbing and familiar, it should - this is precisely the thrust of much research into the genetic modification of organisms in agriculture or biotechnology.

So natural-born human beings are, indeed, genetically modified. Self-respecting eco-warriors should never let their children marry a human being, in case the population at large gets contaminated with exotic genes!One of the most common transposable elements in the human genome is called
Alu - the genome is riddled with it. What the draft genome now shows quite clearly is that copies of Alu tend to cluster where there are genes. The density of genes in the genome varies, and where there are more genes, there are more copies of Alu. Nobody knows why, yet it is consistent with the idea that Alu has a positive benefit for genomes.
To be extremely speculative, it could be that a host of very similar looking Alu sequences in gene-rich regions could facilitate the kind of gene-shuffling that peps up natural genetic variation, and with that, evolution. This ties in with the fact that human genes are, more than most,
fragmented into a series of many exons, separated by small sections of rubbish called introns - rather like segments of a TV programme being punctuated by commercials.

The gene for the protein titin, for example, is divided into a record-breaking 178 exons, all of which must be patched together by the gene-reading machinery before the finished protein can be assembled. This fragmentation allows for alternative versions of proteins to be built from
the same information, by shuffling exons around. Genomes with less fragmented genes may have a similar number of overall genes - but a smaller palette of ways to use this information. Transposable elements might have
helped unlock the potential in the human genome, and could even have contributed to the fragmentation of genes in the first place (some introns are transposable elements by another name). This, at root, may explain why human beings are far more complex than roundworms or fruit flies. If it were not for trashy transposable elements
such as Alu, it might have been more difficult to shuffle genes and parts of genes, creating alternative ways of reading the "same" genes. It is true that the human genome is mostly rubbish, but it explains what we are, and
why we are who we are, and not lying on the slab in a sushi bar.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 05:45 am
Foxfyre,

Naturally we disagree, but I appreciate your thoughtful and respectful approach and the positive outlook of your conclusion. Thank you Smile

You know what would be fun...a court hearing on the matter!. I'm guessing the outcome would still be mute and only the lawyers would gain anything but it would be fun don't you think!

Who would you call in as witnesses? (apart from the Witnesses Laughing )
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 06:29 am
foxfyre said "The question that science has yet not even touched, however, is how did it get here in the first place? It has either always been here or something came from nothing. Or there is a supernatural force behind it that science cannot reach."

The question that science does not address is why? We have made startling progress in answering how? Some people think we are nearly there and any time now the Grand Theory of Everything will just drop into place. But even if it did it wouldnt answer why?

We have got to within a few nanoseconds of the moment of creation. But at the singularity all our mathematics breaks down. Perhaps we are no nearer than primitive man who prayed that the sun would return every day, and the water god would do his bit for his crops...(because if they didn't bother he was dead).

My problem with theists is that they are not content to say there is a God, and leave it at that. They have to go on to describe him or her. What he likes and dislikes. That he sent prophets to earth. That he doesnt eat pork drives a Toyota Prius and plays golf on saturday.

I have my own ideas about the Divine which I can barely articulate to myself, let alone proselytise as the one true religion.

Thanks for looking up the anthropic principle btw.
0 Replies