Sports Fans: Die Hard or Ride the Wave?

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2019 08:56 am
It was 1976. I lay under the coffee table (mostly to stay out of the way and not get stepped on) with a bowl of chips and a soda. I watched The Pittsburgh Steelers and Dallas Cowboys play each other in Super Bowl X. Up to that point I had played t-ball and soccer in youth leagues. My sports fandom was in it's infancy and I had no real idea what being a sports fan meant.

We lived in the Northern reaches of Maine at the time and we were secluded enough that there was no way to watch a pro game live. Both my brothers were football fans and because of that, they encouraged me to be one too.
That summer (1977) I decided I would find a football team to follow and learn about. That's when I found the New England Patriots captained by none other the Steve Grogan. From that point on, I was a New England Patriots fan and it was a bumpy ride. Players came and went, but my support never waivered. I proudly wore my 2 Jerseys, 14 for Grogan and 56 for Andre Tippett.

1986, Super Bowl XX and it was the Mighty Chicago Bears vs the upstart New England Patriots. Talk about being an underdog! My Patriots were slaughtered. It was ugly. But, my bright spot was that Grogan came in and drove the team to their first 1st down and managed to score 10 points against what is still considered to be one of the best defenses ever produced.

The rest of the 80's and early 90's were a definite slump. The Patriots never made the playoffs again until 1994 when Purcell's came on board. Then we drafted Curtis Martin and Bledsoe had a good year. Martin got rookie of the year honors and Purcells was making a good team.

1996, we made it back to the Superbowl! We lost to the Packers, but was a good game. Turns out Purcells signed with the Jets 2 minutes after the game. I don't think his heart was in the game.

2001...Bledsoe gets hurt and their 6th round draft pick wiped his nose and became a legend. Brady would continue his role as QB right up to present day.

At first, EVERYONE jumped on the Patriots bandwagon. They were the upstarts, the ones that turned the league upside down, and they kept on winning, and winning and winning until it became uncool. Apparently you can become too good and the bandwagon moved on. Now it's sighs of protest. "Again?!" they cry as the Patriots go to their 11th Superbowl. It is a rather amazing feat. I couldn't be a prouder fan.

I will dig out my Grogan Jersey, I will open my bag of chips and I will toast my Patriots on Superbowl Sunday and I hope they CRUSH the Rams.

What's YOUR Story?

George

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2019 10:43 am
When the Boston Patriots were formed I was a student at St Dominc Savio
High School in East Boston. Up to that time, New England was in the
domain of the New York Football Giants. Now there was choice to be
made. Those of us who picked the Patriots and the new AFL were heaped
with abuse by Giants loyalists and the upstart Patriots didn't give us much
ammunition to fight back. But we stuck with the Pats anyway.

I saw my first live Patriots game at Fenway Park. Yup, Fenway. Mike
Tagliaferro (pronounced "Tolliver") was throwing, Jim Nance was running,
and Gino Cappelletti was kicking.

I was also a New York Jets fan for exactly one game -- Super Bowl III.
That's when Broadway Joe gave legitimacy to the AFL. But the Patriots
remained doormats until . . . well, you know.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2019 12:04 pm
@McGentrix,
Funny I became a real Pats fan about the same time you did - I think it was in 1976 - or within a year of then. A high school friend of mine invited me with her family to a Pats game. Yes, Steve Grogan was there. and I loved it. I was hooked.

Now granted since then I might not watch every game, but I keep up on it.

Flash ahead about 10 years later - I go to the Scooper Bowl. This is an annual event held in Boston to raise money for the Jimmy Fund. You pay around $10 and you get to eat all the ice cream you want - local ice cream companies donate ice cream for your tasting pleasure. Guess what local sports players are there - Steve Grogan and wouldn't you know Andre Tippett - I bought a Jimmy Fund hat and got their signatures on it. Grogan even poked fun at me because I had like three varies ice creams in my hand when I met him. Still remember that.

The first winning super bowl. I just remember after 9/11 - we were destined to win with the name Patriots! I was newly pregnant and we went to our neighbors where we watched the game. The women started chanting "cutie, cutie" whenever Brady was ready to pass and it seemed to work and then when Vinatieri would go for that field goal and us chicks were yelling "cutie, cutie" to Vinatieri - cuz he is cute; the men started chanting cutie, cutie --- the rest is history.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2019 01:21 pm
When I became a football fan, the Cowboys were a dominant team and their fans were insufferably entitled. Every game and superbowl was their right, except when they somehow got cheated. I rejoiced every time they were beaten.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2019 02:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

When I became a football fan, the Cowboys were a dominant team and their fans were insufferably entitled. Every game and superbowl was their right, except when they somehow got cheated. I rejoiced every time they were beaten.

You're not alone in that.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2019 03:29 pm

i grew up in nyc a Jets fan (and Mets, Knicks and Rangers)... when we moved to bahstin in '95, i held on to my NY allegiances for a while, but after 9/11 i hopped on the bandwagon and started rooting for the Pates...

the following season, i was back rooting for the Jets, and was happy to see them finish ahead of the defending champs...

eventually i started following all four bahstin teams, the winning increased, championships and rolling rallies started piling up, and i am now a die-hard bahstin fan through and through...
Linkat

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2019 04:02 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

i grew up in nyc a Jets fan (and Mets, Knicks and Rangers)... when we moved to bahstin in '95, i held on to my NY allegiances for a while, but after 9/11 i hopped on the bandwagon and started rooting for the Pates...

the following season, i was back rooting for the Jets, and was happy to see them finish ahead of the defending champs...

eventually i started following all four bahstin teams, the winning increased, championships and rolling rallies started piling up, and i am now a die-hard bahstin fan through and through...

So you are claiming that is due to you becoming a loyal fan that Boston started on this champion streak.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2019 05:37 pm
@Linkat,

who, little old me?

Mr. Green
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2019 01:53 am
@edgarblythe,
Was that during the time they couldn't have a huddle because none of them were allowed to associate with known felons?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2019 08:37 am
@roger,
My memory is too short.
0 Replies