Boiling Eggs

herb515

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 10:43 pm
How do I make hard boiled eggs without creating a household stench?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,012 • Replies: 8
No top replies

CodeBorg

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 01:28 am
Bingo! . . .

http://www.megagenius.com/editorial_no_27.htm

Am *I* the genius? No!
You . . . YOU are the genius!
Because now you know the secret . . .
and the key . . . and you HAVEN'T even invested $29.95 for the answer.
You have become
one of the BOILED-EGG ILLUMILATI !!

Don't let it get to your head.

And if you are wise, let the secret lay between the
internet and no one else but yourself.

I am CodeBorg!
Welcome . . .
to the BOILED EGG CONSPIRACY!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 02:40 am
Completely off topic Id like to ask how I can griddle chicken pieces without filling the house with smoke?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 02:48 am
CodeBorg wrote:
Bingo! . . .

http://www.megagenius.com/editorial_no_27.htm

Am *I* the genius? No!
You . . . YOU are the genius!
Because now you know the secret . . .
and the key . . . and you HAVEN'T even invested $29.95 for the answer.
You have become
one of the BOILED-EGG ILLUMILATI !!

Don't let it get to your head.

And if you are wise, let the secret lay between the
internet and no one else but yourself.

I am CodeBorg!
Welcome . . .
to the BOILED EGG CONSPIRACY!

Lol!!!!!

Remember the great Big-Endian heresy from Gulliver's Travels?
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 08:32 am
How do you boil eggs now, that creates a "household stench"? I never noticed any particular smell from boilling eggs...

And I disagree with the method outlined. I put the eggs in cold salted water, and bring them to a boil. As soon as the water boils, I turn the heat down and let the eggs simmer for 17 minutes. Then I drain off the hot water and run cold water into the pan. I will add a tray of ice cubes if I have one handy... the faster they cool the better. This is what prevents the shell from sticking.

I usually don't want the eggs cracked right away; I generally want to eat them one at a time over the next couple of days. So I don't shake them around in the pan to crack them!
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 02:23 pm
Alton Brown Method

Place your oven rack in the middle of the oven. Lay eggs directly on the rack. Put a cookie sheet on the rack below in case an egg breaks. Set the oven to 325 F and bake for 30 minutes. When the eggs are done put them in a bowl with ice water. They can be peeled when they are cool enough to handle. After peeling return them to the ice water to chill.

You can also steam them. Put about 1 inch of water in the bottom of a sauce pan. Place a metal steamer basket in the top of the pan. Boil the water and put the eggs in the steamer basket. Cover and lower heat to medium high. Let them steam for 12 minutes. When the eggs are done, remove from the basket; cool and peel.

According to Alton Brown steamed eggs are easier to peel than baked eggs.

How do you peel an egg? I copied this from Alton Brown's book "I'm Just Here for the Food".

"Take an egg from the bowl of cooling water and gently tap it against a counter or the side of your sink. Rotate it as you go, with the intention of cracking as much of the surface of the shell as possible. When you've cracked everywhere there is to crack, take the egg and roll it gently between the palms of your hands. This will help to loosen the membrane just under the fragmented shell.

Now turn the egg until you find where the air space was. It will be easy to spot because there will be a convenient gap between the shell and the white beneath. Submerge the egg in cold water and start peeling from this spot. With practice you'll be able to take the entire shell off in a long strip - just like peeling an orange."

Will this help your stench problem?

Don't know but try it and see.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 02:35 pm
Although Cav is no longer with us, he did leave us with a very good recipe for hard boiled eggs...I have made them this way ever since

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27622&highlight=hard+boiled+eggs
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 09:08 pm
Mee too, Cav's recipe is great.

Where did Cav go?
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 02:03 am
I'm sorry to tell you Portal Star, but Cav passed away.
0 Replies