Reyn

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 08:03 pm
Hi folks! First time in this forum..... Very Happy

Can someone tell me why the strawberries from California are so darn big? I find them not as nice tasting and juicy as our local berries from British Columbia. Are they genetically modified, or something? Or, just lots of fertilizer, etc?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,260 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 04:45 pm
Wow! Nobody knows? I guess this timeless question will remain a mystery.... :wink:
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 06:17 pm
Many strawberries on the market have been altered, mainly through selection. They are breed based on size, color, fragrance, and for extended shelf life. The very last consideration is taste.

US strawberries are grown with loads of fungicides and pesticides. One of worst chemicals used to grow berries is methyl bromide. It is not good for you or the environment. It was supposed to be banned, but our present government has decided to extend it's approval. I would only eat organically grown strawberries from the US - or better yet grow your own.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 08:01 pm
Ah, I see. So, it's a matter of taking different types of strawberries and cross-breeding. I guess that sort of a genetic modification then.

Thanks.....
0 Replies