Favorite Al Pacino performance

Lambchop

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 05:21 pm
That's right, Pragmatic!! But, you know, even though he's getting up there, he's still got it, doesn't he?
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 05:24 pm
Hmmm....He's got charm still, but more of an gentleman charm than the tough-guy attitude now...I think it depends on how old you are...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 05:30 pm
This is difficult.

I thought he as magnificent in Godfather I and II.

I thought he was pretty good in Heat.

There are too many to choose from, because I think he's one of the most talented actors I've ever seen.

I really hated Scent of a Woman...so I can't judge his performance too well in it.

He really reeled me in in Donnie Brasco. I was really hooked into his character.

He had moments of excellence in that court movie... ...And Justice For All... but when he went for the film's big moment, he went over the top in my opinion. Wrecked it.

Even though Godfather I and II are by far my favorite films that he was a part of, and he nailed Corleone, to me; it wasn't as much as a stretch, or as satisfying as his work in Dog Day or Donnie Brasco.

But, Serpico. That, IMO, was the quintessential Pacino.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 05:31 pm
I still think Scarface is the best out of the one's I have watched - and I have only watched three:

- Scarface
- Godfather III
- Angels in America.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 05:35 pm
OH! Girl, you've got to get busy!

You'll enjoy the others.
0 Replies

Lambchop

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 06:19 pm
As far as Scarface is concerned, I think that could have been a great movie -- if they'd had more of a budget than $225.95 -- which is what it looks like they spent on it. Poor, amateurish lighting, even worse audio. To this day, I still don't know what Pacino was yelling (or should I say "jelling") right at the end when he was firing off the machine gun.

Who miked that thing anyway? Mattell or Hasbro?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 09:04 pm
Oh!!!!
Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 09:30 pm
Yeh.

I thought he was awful in Scarface.

A caricature.
0 Replies

Lambchop

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 05:38 pm
BTW, has anyone seen Carlito's Way? That's one of Pacino's I missed. I was wondering if it was any good.

Also -- I've heard that Pacino has been working on a movie for several years, which he's never released. The theme has to do with what it's like being famous, and the way the world reacts to you. I saw a few snippets once, on some special about Pacino's life, and it looked really interesting. It's too bad he's never released it.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 05:40 pm
all AP performances are the same.They all meet their mark.
0 Replies

Lambchop

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 05:51 pm
Good! Then that will definately be on my list of movies to check out.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 05:29 pm
Lash wrote:
OH! Girl, you've got to get busy!

You'll enjoy the others.

I know... Embarrassed But if its Al pacino - I will like the movie. And now, listening to everyone else talk, I have to watch scent of a woman!!!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 05:38 pm
In fourth grade when he played the Wise Man with the Frankincense....woh!!!! He blew the Myrhh kid out of the water....
0 Replies

Lambchop

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 05:53 pm
Yes....I can totally believe that throbber!!! Wish I could have played a shepard girl in that production!!! Sigh.....
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 03:19 pm
I'd agree with most of votes here, except I think like so many other great actors (Paul Newman, Sean Connery & Morgan Freeman come to mind), his Oscar for "Scent of a Woman' awarded his body of work rather than particular film. (I also found his performance to be over the top, kinda like the great Jack Nicholson in "The Shining".) A film not mentioned but worthy of a look or 2 was "...And Justice For All." <"I'M outta order???!!! YOU'RE outta order!!!">
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 05:45 pm
AllanSwann wrote:
I'd agree with most of votes here, except I think like so many other great actors

Of course! I, for one, love:
- Sam neill (in Jessica)
- Hugo Weaving (The Matrix)

The above two were also in "For Love Alone" - I've read the book, if only I could see the movie!!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 10:11 pm
Watched "...And Justice for All" tonight. It was soooo 70's but another satisfying Pacino performance. A little over the top but that's his style, ain't it?
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 09:45 am
I think Pacino nails about every role he lands, because he brings so much charm and gusto with him to the screen. Al Pacino always steals the show, period. I have Carlito's way on DVD, as well as the Godfather trilogy. I am not too fun of those types of movies though. Not my genre.

I thought he was brilliant in the otherwise mediocre Devil's advocate. But I admire characters most when they play a 'flawed' character. And as far as Pacino goes, I would definitely nominate Insomnia.
Such a simple gimmick, to send a guy who has trouble sleeping to a region in the world where there's 24 hours daylight each day.

0 Replies

happytaffy

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 12:51 pm
Hmmm....I'm gonna go with Godfather because that's just a classic. But I also enjoyed him in Heat & Donnie Brasco (seeing him in a red tracksuit made me laugh, I dunno...)
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 02:59 am
Saw Pacino in a Boston stage production of Richard the Third. Pacino wore blue jeans and a blue wool sweater. One arm was tucked under the sweater. It was an incredible production.
0 Replies