The (Great?) Bahstin Plastic Bag Ban of 2019

roger

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2019 04:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
Well, you're getting them off the street and sending them elsewhere else, aren't you?
Sturgis

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2019 04:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
The reason it's being protested is indeed because there are many who are living day to day, barely squeaking by. Those who can't afford the luxury of a canvas bag (one that'll last for at least a year or two). The idea of having to add on 5¢ per bag, may seem nominal to you and me; yet, think of the person living hand to mouth. receiving only a Social Security check (legitimate health issues prevent them from continuing work). They receive SNAP benefits (food stamps) and supplement their food supply from food pantries.

And let's not forget the single parent of two or three. She or he is only working part time. The other parent contributes nothing and has moved back home with their parents. The cost of bags can add up.

One of my biggest objections to the proposed bag fees offered thus far, is the insanity of the store being the recipient of the bag fee. It doesn't go back into the coffers, it lines the store owners pockets! This is a disgerace. The stores often accept used plastic bags, regardless from where they come. There local Rite Aid accepts all bags. No payment for them though. It would be encouraging if the state worked this similar to cans and bottles, where a few is charged at purchase and then refunded if the empties are returned.

Obviously, the idea of non-biodegradable products is destroying the planet, placing the cost - yet again, on those who have next to nothing, is not the answer. How about trying biodegradable materials as a start?

Another matter is that quite a few of us, use the bags to put trash in. It works much better than the larger bags sold by various companies, smaller bags take less space in the landfill as well.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2019 06:36 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Well, you're getting them off the street and sending them elsewhere else, aren't you?

If I don't then they'll swept down into the sidewalk drains and straight out to the ocean. Better in a landfill than indirectly or directly killing ocean wildlife.
roger

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2019 02:50 pm
@tsarstepan,
Unless they pack them into a barge load and dump them at sea. I don't know; maybe they don't do that any more. They used to.

Hey, it's nice you pick up other people's trash.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 03:37 pm

march first... got lunch in plastic bag... added to stash...
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2019 06:14 am
@Region Philbis,
https://i.imgur.com/gaelyq8.jpg
Original caption (not mine):
“But, if they’re banned, where will I find poetry in the unexpected?”
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2020 09:05 am
@tsarstepan,
NY's Plastic Bag Ban Begins March 1st. Here's Everything You Need To Know

Quote:
Beginning March 1st, retailers statewide are prohibited from handing out single-use plastic bags, in accordance with the legislature's ban on the bags last year. New York is now among eight states that have banned plastic bags. In addition, some municipalities have opted for a 5-cent paper bag fee, including New York City.

Quote:
Here’s a list of plastic bags that are exempt:
Uncooked animal products or other non-prepackaged food.

Flowers, plants, or other items that require plastic to avoid contamination, prevent damage, or for health purposes.

Bulk packaging of fruits, vegetables, grains, candy, hardware products like nuts, bolts, and screws, live insects like crickets, fish, crustaceans, mollusks, or other items that require a waterproof bag.

Sliced food or food prepared to order.

Newspapers for subscribers.

Prepackaged plastic bags sold in bulk, such as garbage bags, sandwich bags, or bags used for pet poop pick-up.

Dry-cleaner or laundry service clothing bags.

Pharmacy bags for prescription drugs.

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2020 09:52 am
@tsarstepan,

it's been fifteen months after the bahstin ban took effect, and i am still getting plastic bags from a variety of take-out places...
Linkat

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2020 09:56 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

it's been fifteen months after the bahstin ban took effect, and i am still getting plastic bags from a variety of take-out places...

Chinatown?
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2020 10:10 am
@Linkat,

financial district | downtown crossing...

South Station, the Food Court, both Falafel King's, Al Capone's...
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2020 10:38 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

It's confusing but I think take out places are also exempt here in NYC.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2020 11:02 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

financial district | downtown crossing...

South Station, the Food Court, both Falafel King's, Al Capone's...

every where huh - well not at Dunkin in Southie - I stop at that one and they have a sign - no plastic bags!

not in downtown so much - but I just figure Chinatown always has its own rules!
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2020 11:05 am
@Linkat,

some places have always been just paper, like Dunks, McD's, Shake Shack.

so it's unclear whether places that use plastic are exempt, or are simply ignoring the new regs...
Linkat

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2020 11:08 am
@Region Philbis,
I thought they were able to use up whatever they had - but could not order more - maybe they are slipping it through saying they still have a supply
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2020 12:08 pm
@Region Philbis,
if it's written like New York and Toronto and some other places I looked up

exemptions include

Quote:
food prepared to order.

most take-out places would say they meet that even if their food is prefab
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2020 05:34 pm

shipment came in today... oughtta hold us for a while...

https://imgur.com/3zVL0vz.jpg
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 03:07 pm

gov Baker has banned reusable grocery bags ... so Bahstin is back to plastic until this thing blows ovah...
Miss L Toad

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 06:00 pm
@Region Philbis,
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 08:16 pm
@Region Philbis,
very similar here. stores are dropping the fee for disposable plastic bags - and will bag for you. if you bring your own, you have to bag the groceries as well
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 11:11 pm

Come back and shake me, take me, now and then
Squeeze me, ease me, pop me, drop me
Shake me, make me yours again
Rough me, stuff me, come n put it in me

My sleeve is so sleek, thru me you can peek
My makeup is petrochemical
My sparkling look is all you should seek
Don't believe the polemical

In pillows it's true that I've been a bag