Super Wolf Blood Moon 2019!

oralloy

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2019 04:23 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Like I said, the eerie feeling at totality is something that can only be experienced.
In my view that's the whole point. The only point.

I wish I was rich enough to go on that cruise for the eclipse in the middle of the Pacific this year. I forget the exact prices, but I think steerage-class tickets are something like $15,000 per person.

Of course, I'd probably have to fly too. And I won't do that.

Flying is also going to be a problem for me in the Nome/Barrow Alaska eclipse of 2033. You can drive to Fairbanks, but if you want to get to Barrow or Nome you need to hop on a plane.
oralloy

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 08:56 pm
The eclipse is about to start, for those who are interested.

For eastern time zones:
10:33 pm - eclipse starts
11:41 pm - totality begins
12:12 am - peak darkness
12:43 am - totality ends
1:50 am - eclipse ends

Clear skies here in Michigan, but bitterly cold. Temperature right now where I'm at is -1°F (-18°C), with a windchill of -16°F (-27°C).
farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 09:25 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
The only point
cosmology and exochemistry would disagree. Imagine the discovery of coronium and how we learned about how the sun actually works and how stars form.
Or volumetrics of the He/H components
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 09:36 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

I've seen lots of quality pictures of solar eclipses that I'm sure were taken with very expensive cameras. None of them even began to compare to seeing the 2017 eclipse with my own eyes.

Gotta agree with you on this. I have honestly never been even tempted to take photos of any celestial happenings. I just stand and experience (Other than one night of meteor showers in northern Ontario that I lounged through)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 09:42 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:

Clear skies here in Michigan, but bitterly cold. Temperature right now where I'm at is -1°F (-18°C), with a windchill of -16°F (-27°C).

Bundled up here but not ready to go outside. Brrrrrr
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 09:48 pm
I just came in from looking at the moon. Right now it is brilliant and beautiful. I have to stand practically in the street to clear the trees.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 09:55 pm
It's too cold to stay out long at a time.
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 10:50 pm
@edgarblythe,

here too, -11F

don't need to see it that bad...
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 10:52 pm
@Region Philbis,
Oh, well - It's in the upper forties here.
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 10:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
-11F
(that's wind chill, btw...)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 10:57 pm
It's hard to find it just now. I have to move around to see between the branches.
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 11:02 pm
@edgarblythe,

is it high in the sky?

we usually watch it from an east-facing window on the second floor, but i'm not seeing it anywhere...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 11:05 pm
It will be close to right overhead, shortly. It's dim, but I am beginning to see it better now.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 11:38 pm
Super cool and supercool. Straight overhead so a bit hard to see at first. Had to go to the front of the house. I am now all about the polar fleece.
farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2019 12:56 am
@ehBeth,
It was really neat. Theangle in the sky made it so that I hqdda tilt my tripods in a weird up angle.
I went outside several times during the approach to totality and, because of the clouds skidding by in the high winds, there was always a erie glare. So when I started getting shots it was nice to haveboth spot shots and a couple of time lapse where the camera held the field for the 2 minute shot without any noticeable blurriness except for the clouds. The erie light collected on the clouds and kinda defined the part of the sky where the moon was. Moon didnt appear larger here, I guess out west theyd have more of a Ponzi effect near mountains.

So I had the fun of both,1. seeing it occur in life AND 2. making a stack of shots on a San disc that I have set aside for sky shots.
I coulda used the Questar with the clock drive but it woulda needed an extension cord and I was out in the East pasture near the woods where the house lights didnt show .
oralloy

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2019 12:58 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Questar
Ooooh.

7 inch or 3.5?
farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2019 01:06 am
@oralloy,
got em both through an auction service .NEVER pay retail. Gotta say though, these models are both vintage but sooo easy and intuitive. I went out to the plant several years ago (I was gonna get one for our towns library) and I didnt understand some of the BS technology that was added "Just to sound impressive and because they could". So I bought both through 2 separate science equip auction services and just kep watching "Auction Zip" till they came up. Both were from the mid Atlantic states (One Pa and the other Del). The 7" had to have its Cassegrain assmbly reflector re mounted (That was like fixing a receiver on a Browning Hi Power, but most people just give up and sell the stuff)
Far as Im concerned, Questars Toppa the line was a 1990 7" with all the stuff still analog. (You coud add on digital sky maps and sweep arcs that are digitally reproduced). However, the old analog arc finder that used a"Pole to vector coordinate method" would actually teach the kids how to "think" about the sky dome mathematically.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2019 01:58 am
I got up just before 5 to see it, it was there OK. I was worried about cloud cover, but it was clear enough over the moon. I thought it would be bigger, like last time.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2019 05:16 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

The eclipse is about to start, for those who are interested.

For eastern time zones:
10:33 pm - eclipse starts
11:41 pm - totality begins
12:12 am - peak darkness
12:43 am - totality ends
1:50 am - eclipse ends

I got out of the subway (coming from the movies) in perfect time for the event.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2019 05:17 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

It's too cold to stay out long at a time.

Ditto. Still had time to run into the house to brew a nice cup of milky oolong tea so I could stay out a little longer.
0 Replies