Who should have played Jadzia Dax?

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 03:43 am
On Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, the idea of Jadzia Dax was interesting--an old, experienced creature who'd experienced many lifetimes (like incarnations), combined with a young person. But I felt the idea was badly executed--both the writing and acting.
Of course, for everyone who was a fan of Terry Farrell, the answer to my question is "Terry Farrell." Smile But for those of us who feel she didn't do so well in the role, another actor could have improved the character a lot.
So--who would have been a good choice for the role of a wise, experienced joint being in a young body?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,446 • Replies: 10
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 07:41 am
@Professor Thascales,
Farrell did fine playing the old man.
farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 12:56 pm
@McGentrix,
after Piccard I quit watching Trek. It became rather pointless. I faked a brief interest in the Scott Bacula version since it was prequel, but not prequel enough for my liking.

izzythepush

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 12:59 pm
@farmerman,
I saw Voyager but DS9 was not to my liking. I saw the first season of Bakula but missed the start of the second so stopped watching.
engineer

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 01:29 pm
@izzythepush,
I think of DS9 as an acquired taste. It was a lot darker than TNG and had a complicated backstory, but I thought it really picked up steam over time. I though Farrell was fine in the role especially as the character was not just an old alien in a young body, it was a merging of the two so the character was supposed to be both knowledgeable and youthful. Plus Farrell is married to Leonard Nimoy's son, so her Trek bonafides are beyond reproach.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 01:33 pm
@engineer,
To be honest I've only vague memories of her character, I think she was some kind of symbiote but that's about it. I couldn't get into it, I saw about five or six episodes and that was about it.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 03:00 pm
@Professor Thascales,
If Kate Mulgrew hadn't been predestined to portray Janeway on Voyager, she would have been a good fit.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 04:34 pm
DS9 came into it's own in season 3. Unfortunately it meant the arrival of Worf, but the show was really good all the following seasons. Was my 3rd favorite.
farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 05:26 pm
@McGentrix,
Maybe my less than enthusiastic reviws of the Janeway years was , as I recall, a time in my life that I was travelling to South America A LOT. So Im sure i caught the series and, it was like looking at the fossil record (SORRY), wherein we usually find specimens of th real losers, not the winners.

Maybe ifn I was home more or not sitting in a plane listening to BOOKS ON TAPE on A WALKMAN, Id like it more.

I dont know
McGentrix

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 06:42 pm
@farmerman,
I stopped watching "Voyager" half way through and "Enterprise" when they started time travel. They had so much potential too.

I think storywise, DS9 was the best of the shows and TNG had the best cohesive cast. TOS was just that, the one that started it all.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2019 02:44 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
after Piccard I quit watching Trek. It became rather pointless.
You missed out. DS9 was the best of the Star Treks.

Although, that was largely because they stole all of their material from Babylon 5.
0 Replies