"Great" Sitcoms we can no longer watch aka political correctness

Linkat

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2019 12:06 pm
Seinfeld - why oh why - everything in my life I can associate with a Seinfeld episode but now it is no longer allowed because:

"The Soup Nazi", "The 'Indian Giver' Joke", "Kramer Stomping On A Burning Puerto Rican Flag", "The 'Joke' That Someone Thinks Jerry And George Are In A Same-Sex Relationship", "When Kramer Has Houseguests From Japan Sleep In His Dresser Drawers", "When Jerry Accidentally Gets A Man Deported", "Cedric And Bob", "When George Got Caught Staring At A Teenager's Breasts", "The Chinese Woman'", "The Joke About The 'Pigman'", "When George Pursues A Woman Because She Can't Speak English:, "The Joke About The Handicap Spot", "The Joke About George's Girlfriend's Big Nose"

https://www.bustle.com/p/these-13-jokes-from-seinfeld-are-super-offensive-now-yes-that-includes-the-soup-nazi-10191949

I must be bad because just reading these "super offensive" jokes I start laughing. Not that they are poking fun at people that should not be poked fun at - but almost the opposite - how the show makes fun of what an idiot and how shallow George is for example for going after the non-English speaking woman. In most of these situations the show is actually poking fun at the original cast members and not the "offended group."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 2,499 • Replies: 93

Linkat

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2019 12:08 pm
@Linkat,
Ah they don't list the Mimbo episode - that should be offensive to hot dumb men.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2019 12:14 pm
Friends is offensive due to:

"Some Girl Ate Monica", "Ridiculously Dull Bobby", "What Are You Talking About, One Woman?! That’s Like Saying There Is Only One Flavor of Ice Cream For You.... Welcome Back to The World, Grab a Spoon!", "What's my boy doing with a Barbie?", "How Goes The Dancing?", "Imagine yourself living in a supermarket and you will understand.", "Don't you have a little too much penis to wear a dress like that?", "So you’re just, like, a guy who’s a nanny?”, "Wow, you look just like your son, Mrs. Tribbiani.", "Hey check me out, I'm a slut!", "Dumb old perfect-for-the-job Hilda"

https://www.bustle.com/p/11-offensive-af-friends-jokes-you-may-have-missed-the-first-time-around-8459541
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2019 12:19 pm
Too many people cannot distinguish between true humor and humor that's meant to hurt.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2019 12:40 pm
From what I read in particular about Friends - is that now these shows are available on Netflix younger audiences are now binge watching them. Being from a different time period they are sometimes shocked at what they are seeing.

This is what I have read. However, I do not totally believe this. My two kids (20 and 16) just happening to be binge watching Friends over Christmas break. I have sat in on some of the shows with them. Both girls laugh their butts off at this show. Not once did either of them say anything about the show being offensive - well at least in the ways that are mentioned in these articles.

Just happen to see the male nanny episode a couple of days ago too.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2019 12:46 pm
@Linkat,
Why do you believe you cannot watch these shows?
Linkat

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2019 01:53 pm
@engineer,
Because I will be considered politically incorrect and supporting of inappropriateness.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2019 01:55 pm
@Linkat,
On the flip side, literally no one is banning you from partaking in these sitcoms (regardless of how you feel the humor has aged poorly or better than it deserves for a network tv show).

Linkat? You have seemingly practiced the true art of clickbait. Welcome to the a2k dark side.

Linkat wrote:

Because I will be considered politically incorrect and supporting of inappropriateness.

No one is legally or morally stopping you from watching these shows in the privacy of your own home. There maybe a small population that could nag you for falling into what they see is an unsavory watching practice but...

do you really need to tell them about every single one of your viewing habits?

You can keep a few media based viewing secrets. Unless you're worried that the ones you share your Netflix password are the overly judgy ones. If so? Change the password or use the hide the show history feature ... (well at least Spotify has that feature) in the related app.
Linkat

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2019 02:00 pm
@tsarstepan,
Well I must be screwy and have messed up my kids because they do not seem to be upset at Friends - they find it funny that Monica jokes about her size and they even copy Joey and say "how u doing"...as a matter of fact my 20 year old came home yesterday with a new purchase --- a Friends cap!

Please don't report me.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2019 02:15 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

By whom? I think comedians make off color jokes all the time and some people find them offensive. I support comedians in their right to make jokes and I support the people who find them offensive and speak up. I don't think anyone is forbidding anyone anything.
Linkat

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2019 02:37 pm
@engineer,
enigneer/tarsty - please just think of my responses in a similar light as a "Chandler" remark.
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2019 03:25 pm
@Linkat,

could you BE any more politically correct?
RABEL222

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2019 09:01 pm
I could never stand that show. Disliked most of the charcters and never found it funny. But can't say others dident find it funny.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2019 11:08 pm
Oh my gosh; how blessed your life must be if this is the bullshit you have to worry about.

Poor Linkat; he doesn’t like that he can’t laugh at all the anti-gay jokes in friends anymore.

Poor guy. We should all weap for the great challenges of his poor poor life.
Linkat

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2019 10:39 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

could you BE any more politically correct?

You got it
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2019 10:40 am
@maporsche,
You obviously did not catch on.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2019 11:11 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Oh my gosh; how blessed your life must be if this is the bullshit you have to worry about.

Poor Linkat; he doesn’t like that he can’t laugh at all the anti-gay jokes in friends anymore.

Poor guy. We should all weap for the great challenges of his poor poor life.

You've been around Linkat as long as you both been members here.

1. She's a she and very obviously a mother given her decade plus posting history.
2. She's socially liberal and most certainly not homophobic. Please refer back to said posting history already mentioned.

3. She's on some kind of antiPC policing thing as of recently. Don't ask me. Ask her. In this department, we are in kind of a disagreement here. She's no Jerry Seinfeld in expressing her displeasure of the recent online PC (for or against and what goes to far for both ends of the spectrum) debate.

Just saying... if you're going to be a jerk... at least know who you're addressing. I mean... both of you have been here for almost two decades.
engineer

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2019 04:50 pm
@tsarstepan,
When someone talks about political correctness, they are trying to silence free speech. The way it is supposed to work is that you can say whatever you want and if I find your comment offensive, I can say so. The answer to bad free speech is more free speech. We can debate it in the public sphere. When someone moans about "political correctness" what they are saying is "I want to say what I want and if you don't like it, I want you to stay silent." It's like saying something really offensive to someone and when they complain, saying "just get over it". A comedian (or anyone else) can say something offensive. Someone else can call them on it. That's great. I have a problem when someone says "oh I can't say offensive stuff anymore because of political correctness!" No one is stopping your speech and there are more outlets for expressing your opinions than ever before. You can say all the offensive stuff you want. No one is stopping you, but you can't demand that everyone else stay silent.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2019 05:49 pm
@engineer,
If I understand your point correctly, you have no problem with someone who is offended that you have taken offense by their criticism of your criticism of their criticism of your parody of their art representing your demographic.

I agree with your point Engineer... even though you are setting up an obvious endless loop (which is often considered a problem in my line of work). I have consistently supported free speech on this forum (and elsewhere). Criticism should be allowed and criticized.

The problem with political correctness is when it goes beyond speech. When people are fired for expressing and when speakers invited by students are run off campus... there is a line that is crossed.

I think there is another problem with group think... people block out any ideas or opinions that don't come from their political bubble. This isn't specifically a problem with free speech, but it is a problem with political correctness.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2019 06:15 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

When someone talks about political correctness, they are trying to silence free speech. The way it is supposed to work is that you can say whatever you want and if I find your comment offensive, I can say so. The answer to bad free speech is more free speech. We can debate it in the public sphere. When someone moans about "political correctness" what they are saying is "I want to say what I want and if you don't like it, I want you to stay silent." It's like saying something really offensive to someone and when they complain, saying "just get over it". A comedian (or anyone else) can say something offensive. Someone else can call them on it. That's great. I have a problem when someone says "oh I can't say offensive stuff anymore because of political correctness!" No one is stopping your speech and there are more outlets for expressing your opinions than ever before. You can say all the offensive stuff you want. No one is stopping you, but you can't demand that everyone else stay silent.

What are you babbling on about? I didn't ask for an explanation what political correctness means to you. Irrelevant and out of the blue reply. Nor was I saying anything strongly for or against defending political incorrectness. Weird how you're assuming I'm preaching some monstrously conservative statement for unbridled speech to be considered free. Where did you get that from in my short answer correcting MP on Linkat's gender and noting she's been posting ambiguous PC related threads with absolutely no context to indicate if her thread is facetious or earnest.

Please don't read between the lines. It doesn't suit you.

You can't say my own personal posting history reflects that hate and sexist speech should be completely free to be projected wherever and whenever. Because it means you haven't been reading what I post here for the past 9+ years.

I'm for deleting conspiracy theories, sexist, and racist remarks from a2k. You apparently post here in some kind of weirdly aloof high ground. Do you think my Tsarstepan account is just a secondary account for … Hawkeye? For someone who's been here since 2004, you really don't pay too much attention to your fellow long term posters.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » "Great" Sitcoms we can no longer watch aka political correctness
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/11/2024 at 06:31:24