"Great" Sitcoms we can no longer watch aka political correctness

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 02:40 pm
If you have11 minutes, Jordan Peterson has a perspective on political correctness in speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYnCaCQe-sIinc

No one should be censored on A2K - and that includes attempts where people tell posters not to post their thoughts and opinions, or attacking people personally for their posts.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 03:06 pm
@Real Music,
I kind of compare this to the whole Rosanne Barr thing. When she tweeted or whatever the heck she said.

If she did similar (not that she could have tweeted then) - but said the same thing - when the show was originally aired probably nothing would happen.

But now things are different and you cannot just say whatever offensive thing comes to your head. You do that now and they kill you off the show.

I am not a fan of hers, but quite honestly what did the TV show expect? They hired Rosanne her whole being and existence is too be offensive.
PUNKEY

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 03:13 pm
@Linkat,
Rosanne was reading a script, playing a character. That's acting.

When she 2 AM tweeted racially offensive things about another person, then she found out there were consequences.
engineer

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 04:10 pm
@Linkat,
I think if you tried to remake All in the Family today, it would be Roseanne (completely separate from the off screen issues).
Linkat

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 04:33 pm
@PUNKEY,
She acted like that previously though when her show was on saying inappropriate things in interviews, destroying the national anthem. The only difference is now we have social media.., there was no Twitter then but she still behaved and spoke inappropriately off script. As I mentioned in my post there was no twitter at that time.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 05:37 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
The one I was wondering about was I Love Lucy, not because there was anything offensive but because a lot of the humor relied on family dynamics that resonated at the time but wouldn't with today's viewers.

I think I know what you are saying here, but I'm not entirely sure.
Can you expound or explain what you mean by this?
engineer

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 06:32 pm
@Real Music,
A lot (not all) of the situations Lucy got into were related to her role as ditzy wife, mother and homekeeper. I doubt that stereotype has a lot of resonance today. While people in the 50's would have understood what was not being said about why Lucy was doing what she was doing, I think people today would be confused, not understanding what people in the 50's would take for granted.
Real Music

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 06:47 pm
@engineer,
Now, I understand what you are referring to.
Yes, you might be right about your assessment.

I grew up watching (reruns) of "I Love Lucy" in the 1970s.
Lucille Ball was hilarious. I have probably seen every episode.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 06:57 pm
@engineer,
Did you know that many of those old black and white sitcoms from the 1950s, that the married couples on the shows often slept in separate beds?
I guess the networks, back then, didn't want to show married couples sleeping in the same bed on television.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 07:10 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

Did you know that many of those old black and white sitcoms from the 1950s, that the married couples on the shows often slept in separate beds?
I guess the networks, back then, didn't want to show married couples sleeping in the same bed on television.

I think this reflected the society (not anything about TV). I believe that many married couples in the 1950 slept in separate beds.
Real Music

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 07:19 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
I think if you tried to remake All in the Family today, it would be Roseanne (completely separate from the off screen issues).

I partially agree.
The one big difference is "All In The Family" and "The Jeffersons" used racial slurs on their sitcoms often and casually and the use of the words were actually written in the scripts for television viewing.

Yes, I agree that Roseanne's sitcom had many similarities to "All In The Family"
I just don't recall words such as coon, jungle bunnies, whitey, honkey, the N word, and other racial slurs spoken on Roseanne's sitcom.

I'm not referring to the off the screen issues. I am referring to what we actually saw on network television.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 07:25 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I think this reflected the society (not anything about TV). I believe that many married couples in the 1950 slept in separate beds.

Yes. There may be some truth to that.
I also seem to remember that on the sitcom (I Dream Of Jeanie), Jeanie's belly button was a big issue to the network executives.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 07:46 pm
@Real Music,
Quote:
Jeanie's belly button was a big issue to the network executives.

Barbara Eden's belly button was a big issue to me too!

https://i.etsystatic.com/9216859/r/il/c7f25f/843103504/il_570xN.843103504_mpvb.jpg
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2019 09:44 pm
@Linkat,
I remember watching this Little Rascal episode as a rerun back in the 1970s.
After searching for this episode, I finally found it on youtube.
This is a cute and funny episode.

0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/11/2024 at 06:26:36