"Great" Sitcoms we can no longer watch aka political correctness

maxdancona

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 09:10 am
@engineer,
"Misogyny" is a perfectly good word. I have no problem using it myself to describe a policy or argument that I feel denigrates women. Like any other word it doesn't constitute a personal attack unless it is used to attack a person.

Words aren't good or bad in an of themselves. It is how they are used.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 09:29 am
@maxdancona,
This is good is a good example. Misogyny and political correctness are two common social criticisms (from different political sides). Let's continue...

It is perfectly fair for you to decide, and for you to say, that you think a specific opinion of mine is misogynistic. If have no problem if think my support of James Damore stems from misogyny. I disagree with you... but so be it. You are attacking my position, not me as a person. You saying your opinion clearly is part of honest debate.

If you call me a misogynist, and suggest that this descredits me in every debate, then it becomes personal. In the example you cite that was my objection.
engineer

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 09:44 am
@maxdancona,
Is that why you modified the forum tags on two hundred threads, because you felt it was an attack on your position and not on you personally? At the time you wrote:
maxdoncona wrote:
At their best, tags are informational. They tell us quickly what a thread is about and allow us to browse by categories that interest us. But there are less noble uses of tags that are becoming increasingly more common.

When tags are used as an editorial comment, they are much less useful. Often A2K cliches use the tags to signal each other which threads their opinion group will agree with (this is perhaps somewhat useful).

The tags that are personal attacks cross a line from informational to uncivil. They are an anonymous slap in the face, and they work as a form of group pressure to weed out unpopular opinions before people even have the chance to read them.

I consider the PC label in the same way, as a form of group pressure to weed out unpopular opinions before people even have the chance to read them. (To be clear and anyone following along, you were correct that about the taggers and this episode ended up going down in A2K history and changing site policy.)

I leave you with this quote from this thread.
maxdancona wrote:
Political Correctness is a term that is thrown about quite a bit these days, on Able2Know and elsewhere. The term is almost always used as a put down. The problem is that the term has no specific meaning. It is used in so many context that it can be applied to almost anything which renders the term useless.

Consider the following uses of the term.(This is not even close a complete list).

1) Taking offense at words that some people find insulting (such as "queer", "anchor baby" or "tar baby").
2) Having sympathy for someone that you don't think deserves sympathy.
3) Teaching history classes that specifically focus on a minority.
4) Saying that anything or anyone is racist.
5) Holding any number of political positions (such as gun control or racial profiling).
6) Machines that speak more than one language.
7) Suggesting that any of a number of groups, for example women or homosexuals, should be treated more fairly.
8) Acknowledging there is more than one holiday in December.

Now I am suggesting the term is useless. This is not an statement about any specific action or event that may be tagged with this meaning label. With such a great number of things that are labeled "political correctness" it is inevitable that some of these things will be bad. For example, I am pretty solidly against censorship of any kind. But this leads to an interesting paradox.

The people who throw around the "political correctness" label are often trying to stifle debate. They want to be able to call people "queer", but they feel no one should ever be called "bigot". It seems reasonable that in a free society you should be able to say either. Free speech is free speech.

Since the term is so broad it is useless there is nothing inherently wrong with being politically correct. It is a silly endeavor to try to lump such a broad swath of America under the same term as if everyone who doesn't want to be called "nigger" is in favor of stricter gun laws. It would be more honest and useful to express your position without using terms that are both prejudicial and meaningless.

Just to be clear, I don't want to prevent people from using the term "politically correct". Certainly the term should be allowed. In my opinion the people who use this term as a broad put down to shortcut real discussion are being dumb asses.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 10:07 am
@engineer,
Wow interesting! Reading a post I wrote 8 years ago is wild. It seems my views have changed. At least I have remained consistent about freedom.of expression.

My point about social criticism is important to my current stance.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 11:04 am
In Janice’s words….”Oh my GOSH!”

Really now – let’s all calm done. I really wish I did not use politically correct in the title. What I wrote actually was supposed to be some sort of humor. The characters in Seinfeld are supposed to be dislikeable – they act inappropriately and typically end up being trouble as a result. To me it actually shows what can happen to someone who acts like an a$$. The characters are the ones that you laugh at as a result not the inappropriateness. As bad as the final episode was – it shows that these characters end up where they should – in jail.

I meant this to be funny – not to make this huge political corrections definition disagreement. It was supposed to be fun – see I even poked fun at myself in part of this.

I love this quote:
“Too many people cannot distinguish between true humor and humor that's meant to hurt.”

I was also thinking of about Louis CK’s pretty horrible standup routine. And agree - I don’t understand making jokes about murdered kids—or laughing at those jokes, but that is why I wouldn’t watch or listen to this guy. Whereas many people on here are offended by the show about nothing – so don’t watch it.

And whoever tried to feebly defend me (kind of a weird way – it was sort of insulting) – no need. I don’t care if someone thinks I am a man or woman (not that there is anything wrong with that) – I honestly do not take offense to what someone that does not know who I am and as a result does not realize that I have a weird sense of humor of which this whole thread was supposed to be – humorous.

So lets get back to making this fun - keep the clips coming - I love those old shows - even the racist Little Rascals.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 05:10 am
Continuing the topic of the thread
is an old television clip of the (network) sitcom
"The Jeffersons"

Real Music

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 05:34 am
An old tv clip of (All In The Family)
with Archie Bunker giving his opinion of
Equal pay and women's liberation.

Real Music

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 06:08 am
A brief tv clip of "The Little Rascals"

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 06:20 am
@engineer,
Quote:
I'm not sure why you couldn't make All in the Family today. Are you saying that it would take attacks from the right because it makes fun of a white, blue collar everyman?

No, I'm not saying that all.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 08:52 am

0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 08:53 am
@Real Music,
Ok, why do you think you couldn't make All in the Family today? The one I was wondering about was I Love Lucy, not because there was anything offensive but because a lot of the humor relied on family dynamics that resonated at the time but wouldn't with today's viewers.
Linkat

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 09:13 am
@Real Music,
Ah -- gone are the days when whites and blacks could both be racists on the same show and get laughs!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 09:17 am
@Real Music,
Awesome - you see it is sexist, but not - the point is the person (Archie) is making sexist remarks but he is the one you are laughing at because what he says is so crazy - "equality is unfair"

Even more upsetting is the pay - 5.50 an hour??? Wow what a difference than today.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 09:57 am
All in the Family was groundbreaking in the 1960s. It would be rather mundane today. We have too many other shows that fill the same niche.
Real Music

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 11:05 am
@engineer,
Quote:
Ok, why do you think you couldn't make All in the Family today?

First of all, I am only referring to (network) television. I am not referring to cable tv. I am not referring to any other platforms of viewing television. That is the essential part of the topic of the thread.

Second, I grew up watching "All In The Family" during the 1970s. "All In The Family" was aired on (network) television during prime time. Prime time is the part of the night for family time television viewing.

Lastly, one example of why I think "All In The Family' wouldn't be created for (network) television today is the casual use of the word coon when Archie Bunker was referring to black people. Another example would be when Archie Bunker referred to black people as jungle bunnies.
Real Music

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 11:23 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
All in the Family was groundbreaking in the 1960s.

I think your dates might be wrong.
"All In The Family" tv sitcom actually aired (1971 - 1979)
maxdancona

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 11:25 am
@Real Music,
1960s - 1970s.... I don't know how old you are, but for me all those decades are kind of blurred together into a fuzzy misspent youth.
Real Music

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 11:29 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
Awesome - you see it is sexist, but not - the point is the person (Archie) is making sexist remarks but he is the one you are laughing at because what he says is so crazy - "equality is unfair"

I agree. It was definitely a funny scene.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 11:45 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
1960s - 1970s.... I don't know how old you are, but for me all those decades are kind of blurred together into a fuzzy misspent youth.

The two decades where I have the most distinct memories are both the 1970s and the 1980s.
These two decades seem to stand out for me.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 02:12 pm
@Real Music,
Yeah.... young kiddos....

0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/11/2024 at 08:24:59