0

Microeconomics - Utility, Marginal Utility, MRS

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2018 02:18 pm
I have a feeling that this may be a very easy one but I have no idea how to do it. If someone could help me I would be forever grateful.

Suppose that the utility that a student gets from a course of lectures is given by: U = – 35 LT + 17.5 MB – 7 C
Where LT is lecture time (the number of hours of lectures), MB is the number of minutes of break that the lecturer gives each lecture, and C is the cost in euro of the course text book.

(a) According to this utility function, what is the marginal utility of an extra hour of lecture time?

(b) Suppose that the course lecturer considers switching to a new textbook that is 10 euro more expensive than the current textbook. How many extra minutes of break would the lecturer need to give per lecture in order to keep students indifferent between the course with the new textbook (and increased breaks), and the old course (i.e. the course with the old book and shorter breaks)?

(c) According to the specified utility function, is the marginal utility of each characteristic of the lecture course increasing, constant, or diminishing? Do you think that this is reasonable in this example?