Drones: how much longer will it take...

hightor

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2021 04:46 am
1,500 Eggs Were Waiting to Hatch. Then a Drone Crashed.

The authorities said they were hoping to identify the operator of a drone that crashed in a nesting area for elegant terns, leading 2,500 of the birds to flee the Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve in Huntington Beach, Calif.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2021/06/04/multimedia/04xp-eggs01/04xp-eggs01-superJumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp

Quote:
Every April, thousands of elegant terns migrating from Central and South America nest in the sands of the Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve, one of the last remaining protected coastal wetlands in Southern California.

This year, however, their refuge was no sanctuary. On May 13, a drone crash-landed on their nesting ground, scaring off about 2,500 of the terns. Left behind were about 1,500 eggs, none of which were viable after they were abandoned.

“In my 20 years of working with wildlife and in the field, I have never seen such devastation,” said Melissa Loebl, an environmental scientist and manager of the Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve, which encompasses more than 1,300 acres of mud flats, saltwater and freshwater marshes, dunes and other habitats in Huntington Beach, Calif.

“My gut is wrenching,” Ms. Loebl said. “It’s awful to see.”

Nicholas Molsberry, an officer with the California Department of Fish and Wildlife, said no one had come to claim the drone in the three weeks since it crashed into the colony.

Officer Molsberry said he was seeking a search warrant to allow him to review the contents of the drone’s memory card, which he hopes will allow him to identify the operator and the flight path the drone took that day.

If he can find the person, he said, he will seek misdemeanor criminal charges relating to the needless destruction of eggs or nests, the harassment of wildlife and the use of a drone in a closed ecological reserve.

The elegant tern, a sleek seabird with a pointed orange bill, is among 800 species that rely on the reserve as a critical habitat, Ms. Loebl said. Although the elegant tern is not considered threatened or endangered, a number of other birds in the reserve are, including the California least tern and the Ridgway’s rail, Ms. Loebl said.

She said it was not surprising that the elegant terns had abandoned their eggs when the drone crashed on the sand where they were nesting.

“They were responding to a threat,” Ms. Loebl said. “That drone, to them, was a huge predator. It came crashing down and absolutely terrified them.”

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2021/06/04/us/04xp-eggs-2/04xp-eggs-2-superJumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp

Despite being a protected sanctuary, the reserve has frequently been disturbed by bikes, dogs and drones, another one of which crash-landed on the reserve on May 11, according to Ms. Loebl and Officer Molsberry. The crash on May 13 was previously reported by The Orange County Register.

“It’s always been a hot spot for these violations,” Officer Molsberry said. “I really wish we had more officers to patrol.”

Ms. Loebl said drones were already prohibited in the reserve under California rules, but she hopes the Federal Aviation Administration will issue a federal rule against operating drones in the area.

“I am really hopeful we are going to make positive change as a result of something so horrible,” she said.

Michael H. Horn, a professor emeritus of biology at California State University, Fullerton, said that although the loss of 1,500 eggs might not threaten the long-term health of the elegant tern, which has a worldwide population of about 100,000 to 150,000, the drone crash was still troubling.

He said the reserve was one of four important nesting sites for the elegant tern. Three are in Southern California, and one is in the Gulf of California in Mexico, he said. Though the nesting areas are typically threatened by coyotes, peregrine falcons and other predators, drones should not be among the hazards, he said.

“We need more protection,” he said, “and I am hoping the attention this is getting is going to help us.”

He said had long worried that the increasing popularity of drones would eventually pose a threat to nesting seabirds.

“I knew it was going to happen,” he said. “I just didn’t know when.”

nyt
farmerman

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2021 06:42 am
@hightor,
e had several segments for acquiring licensing for our higher drones used to hold LIDAR cameras at a fixed elevation.

Irresponsible activities have always been with us and will remain a problem to deal with.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2021 10:39 am
I don't think drones present any additional risk that didn't already exist with earlier technology. Idiots can kill protected species with a bicycle just as well as they can with a drone. A terrorist can use a backpack and a pressure cooker or a cutting knife and an airplane to do as much damage as a drone attack could do and the earlier technologies are probably easier with less risk.

If your goal is to shut down an international airport tell me an intelligent nefarious plan that starts with the phrase "first we buy us some drones ..."
hightor

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2021 11:16 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
A terrorist can use a backpack and a pressure cooker or a cutting knife and an airplane to do as much damage as a drone attack could do and the earlier technologies are probably easier with less risk.

I think you're underestimating the risks posed by this technology and arguing that just as much damage could be achieved with a bomb or a knife is disingenuous. Imagine a crowded stadium — the Super Bowl, for instance. Metal detectors screen the fans as they enter but that won't prevent idiots putting Roman candles on drones and firing a few into the crowd. Even if no one is injured by the attack, the resulting panic and the expense of shutting down the game and evacuating the stadium could be immense. New technologies invite new methods of terrorism and open up new venues for potential attacks.

Quote:
If your goal is to shut down an international airport tell me an intelligent nefarious plan that starts with the phrase "first we buy us some drones ..."

Did you read the very first post in this thread, the incident which prompted me to create it?

maxdancona

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2021 11:20 am
@hightor,
There's nothing special about drones in that story. If someone had written a motorcycle into the airport it would have been shut down just the same. A while ago in Boston somebody walked through the wrong door on alarm ran and they shut down the entire airport for a couple of hours.

That's my point there is no risk that drones present that aren't presented equally by bicycles or pressure cookers or idiots with fake bombs or backpacks or flocks of birds.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2021 11:23 am
I’m not familiar with Gatwick’s security, so I’d like to know how easy it would be to get a motorbike on the runway.

Gatwick is London’s second airport and the security is top notch.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2021 11:27 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
If someone had written a motorcycle into the airport it would have been shut down just the same.

Not for 32 hours.

I don't think a bicycle would have affected the nesting birds in the same way, but more to the point, it's important for people to be made aware of the sorts of criminal activity this technology is capable of.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2021 11:29 am
@hightor,
Nobody has taken a motorbike on the runway because it’s too difficult, whoever did it would get caught.

Somebody has flown a drone in Gatwick’s airspace interrupting flights.

It’s the difference between reality and the realms of fantasy.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2021 11:33 am
@hightor,
Closing an airport for 32 hours seems a bit excessive.

A quick search found stories of airports being shut down for bomb threats, for someone finding "suspicious" wires in a parking garage, for someone driving his car through a fence onto the runway for people being found in secure areas of the airport. And of course there are still storms, mechanical malfunctions and wildlife instance.

I don't think this is as dramatic a story as you are making it out to be.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2021 11:51 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Closing an airport for 32 hours seems a bit excessive.
Actually, the airport had been closed for 33 hours, between 21:00 h on Wednesday 19 December 2018 and 05:58 h Friday 21 December. The runway had bee re-opened 10 times in between, and closed again to new drone sightings.

The mystery of the Gatwick drone
maxdancona

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2021 12:56 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Fascinating article, Walter. It turns out there is no conclusive evidence that any drones actually existed.

Quote:
.. In total, 170 drone sightings were reported, 115 of which were later deemed “credible” by police. But neither Mitchell, nor any of the news crews camped out for two days, had managed to get a photo or video. Neither had any of the thousands of passengers and airport staff on site; no one who reported a sighting had captured an image on their phone.

The Gatwick incident was the first time a major airport was shut down by drones, and it distilled deep cultural anxieties – from the threat of terrorism and unconventional attacks by hostile states, to our fear of new technology.

Quote:
. Hudson looked at publicly available information: photographs taken during the incident, and statements by Sussex police. Since then, he has identified inconsistencies that he believes undermine the claim that there were drones at Gatwick. Soon after we first spoke, Hudson sent me a long email, including a timeline of tweets and photographs posted during the incident, highlighting contradictions. (“Did he send you four A4 pages with closely typed text and diagrams?” another drone-flyer joked. “It’s one of Ian’s pet subjects.”) The photos he included showed military counter-drone systems being set up on 20 December, the second day of the shutdown – and tweets by Sussex police mentioning sightings after this point, right into the early hours of 21 December. This included one cluster by “credible” witnesses – airport staff and police officers.

I don't know if you read your own article. I did. There is doubt whether any drones were involved in this fiasco and the possibility that this was another case of mass hysteria and Human error.

Thanks for posting that article. I enjoyed reading it more than I expected.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2021 12:59 pm
People have an irrational fear of new technology that causes them to overreact.

I don't see any evidence that drones create any additional risk that doesn't exist with earlier technology.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2021 01:30 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I don't know if you read your own article.
It's not my own article but a so called "long read" from The Guardian.
Usually, I've read any linked report/article before posting it.
And usually I read any 'long read' in the Guardian at the time published/printed.

So I did read it. And when re-reading it today, I'd noticed that Sussex Police and Gatwick maintain the disruption was a malicious attack.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2021 01:36 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Of course they do. But there is no conclusive evidence of a malicious attack..the military equipment didn't even find any evidence.

Maybe there was a clever hacker who was playing a clever joke. It seems likely to me that this was blown out of all proportion by a misguided overreaction in any case.

There are simple countermeasures, particularly if this kind of thing happens again. But the overreaction and hysterical fear cause more damage than anything else.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2021 01:46 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
People have an irrational fear of new technology that causes them to overreact.

It's not a reaction of fear as much as anger and disgust. As with the now ubiquitous assault-styled weapons, drones are an example of an irresponsible pursuit of profit. I don't believe enough consideration was given to the way drones can be used by people with bad intent. Let's just put 'em in the marketplace and let society sort it out later.

Quote:
I don't see any evidence that drones create any additional risk that doesn't exist with earlier technology.

Would you say the same thing about the proliferation of assault-styled weapons with high capacity magazines and firing high power cartridges? "It's no different than that guy in the Texas Tower..."

There are many people who have legitimate uses for technically advanced drone aircraft — surveyors, professional photographers, rescue personnel, among others. But I don't think any clown should be able to walk in and buy a unit such as was used in the elegant tern example. I think drones should be registered, the buyer subjected to a background check, and the largest ones shouldn't be available without some sort of permit for legitimate use. I might be okay with class of small low-powered units for hobbyists but even these machines shouldn't be considered as toys.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2021 01:58 pm
@hightor,
Do you know what a drone is hightor? It is a little remote control flying toy that usually comes with a camera. It has nothing in common with assault weapons.

Consider the following items.

- Cell phones
- Pressure Cookers
- Box cutters
- Tylenol capsules.

These have all been used to more deadly effect than these toy drones have. Toy drones are not weapons. They are toys.

I agree that they should be regulated (to some extent), and no I don't want people flying them in the same places I don't want people to ride bicycles (i.e. airports and nature reserves).

My son flies a drone around the park and uses it to take cool pictures. Comparing this to an assult weapon is silly. They aren't even weapons.
hightor

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2021 02:03 pm
10 Crimes Committed Using A Drone

Drones Are Being Used for Crimes, but Is the Law Ready?

How Organized Crime Networks Are Using Drones to Their Advantage

Criminal intent: FBI details how drones are being used for crime

The Past and Future of Drones in the U.S.

These articles discuss criminal use of drones. Obviously, they can be used by terrorists (and already are). This is one of those examples of technology turning around and biting us on the ass. No doubt military drones would have been developed and deployed by some other country but the USA was the first country to use them extensively for assassinations and for the purpose of terrorizing the enemy.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2021 02:07 pm
@hightor,
Argument by Google. I love it!

This is the same hysterical overreaction we see with every technology.

I remember when I was a kid and television was going to ruin society. I remember when rock music had hidden devil messages and cartoons were said to turn kids into violent criminals.

At one time, the printing press was scary. And many people had fear of electric lighting. People are still afraid of flouridation.

Get over it.

hightor

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2021 02:08 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Do you know what a drone is hightor?

Do you know what an insulting question is?

I already stated that I'm okay with small drones — but even those can be used irresponsibly, like flying one near an airfield, spooking cattle, or just annoying the hell out of people.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2021 02:12 pm
@hightor,
You made a comparison between a drone and an assault weapon. That is ridiclous. A drone is no more a assault weapon than a walkie talkie is a bomb.

I agree with you that. I don't want drones used irresponsibly. I also don't want bicycles used irresponsibly either. I don't want a frisebee used irresponsibly.

People shouldn't act irresponsibly.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 02:59:28