Wild conspiracy theories you find plausible...

Mon 1 Mar, 2010 07:52 pm
I'm watching MythBusters right now (maybe the third time I've ever watched it), where they look at the moon landing and see if conspiracy theorists claims about it hold up.

I admit that I'm watching it because I'm fascinated by "the-moon-landing-was-staged" claims -- not because I find the arguments compelling, but because I could imagine the U.S. Government faking it. Not as easily as I could imagine, say, the current North Korean government faking it, but still, it suits my particular paranoias about the world.

So how about it? Any of you folks who don't believe in conspiracy theories have one or to that you could concede might contain an element of truth, or that some perverse part of you wishes were true?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 5,448 • Replies: 27
Topic Closed
No top replies

msolga

Mon 1 Mar, 2010 07:53 pm
@patiodog,
Oh this thread's gonna be fun!

I can tell already! Very Happy
0 Replies

patiodog

Mon 1 Mar, 2010 07:54 pm
@patiodog,
Realizing, suddenly, that, if this attempt at a thread doesn't die quickly or quietly, that it will likely become a forum for someone who really does believe some wild-ass thing and has volumes of "evidence" to support it. You know -- an evolutionist or something...

So, do you have one to get started with, Ms Olga?
msolga

Mon 1 Mar, 2010 08:05 pm
@patiodog,
Quote:
....it will likely become a forum for someone who really does believe some wild-ass thing and has volumes of "evidence" to support it.

Crikey! I didn't think of that! Please, please NO!!!!!!!! Shocked

Quote:
So, do you have one to get started with, Ms Olga?

Thinking, thinking ....

0 Replies

msolga

Mon 1 Mar, 2010 08:07 pm
@patiodog,
Quote:
I admit that I'm watching it because I'm fascinated by "the-moon-landing-was-staged" claims -- not because I find the arguments compelling, but because I could imagine the U.S. Government faking it. Not as easily as I could imagine, say, the current North Korean government faking it, but still, it suits my particular paranoias about the world.

Smile Yes, the very first example that came to mind, patiodog.

I've always believed it was staged & filmed at MGM studios. Produced by the US government to distract us all from far more serious things. Wink
0 Replies

littlek

Mon 1 Mar, 2010 08:10 pm
There's still a contingent that thinks the plane-bombing of the world trade towers was either staged or allowed by the US government. I don't believe it's true, but I (like you, Pdawg) could see something on a smaller scale playing out that way. But, I read too much SciFi.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Mon 1 Mar, 2010 08:47 pm
That the military industrial complex was largely responsible for engineering the overthrow of saddam, in order to enrich themselves.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Mon 1 Mar, 2010 08:50 pm
I sometimes wonder about the JFK assassination.
plainoldme

Mon 1 Mar, 2010 08:53 pm
My mother never believed in the moon landing. There is a movie, I think called Capricorn 1, which revolves around a faked moon landing starring Barbra Steisand's husband.

There are many people who feel/think/intuit that 9/11 was an inside job. I've seen bumper stickers supporting the idea of conspiracy where I live and I looked up the group. It turns out that the local group is one of the largest with more than 200 members.
msolga

Mon 1 Mar, 2010 09:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:

You'll soon be sorry you said that, edgar! Wink
edgarblythe

Mon 1 Mar, 2010 09:32 pm
@msolga,
I don't plan to argue that. But I have read many good arguments, pro and con.
shewolfnm

Mon 1 Mar, 2010 09:33 pm
Mine..

JFK

and 911.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Mon 1 Mar, 2010 09:33 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

My mother never believed in the moon landing. There is a movie, I think called Capricorn 1, which revolves around a faked moon landing starring Barbra Steisand's husband.

There are many people who feel/think/intuit that 9/11 was an inside job. I've seen bumper stickers supporting the idea of conspiracy where I live and I looked up the group. It turns out that the local group is one of the largest with more than 200 members.

My grandmother told me more than once that they staged the moon landing. I spoke to another man, who told me it was not possible to land there; it moves too fast for them to catch it.
msolga

Mon 1 Mar, 2010 09:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
Oh you were serious then, edgar? (Fair enough.)

I thought you were being a bit cheeky there for a minute.

Very fishy, the JFK assassination, I agree. But I'm hoping we don't have to see the Zapruder (sp?) film again, one more time. Wink

0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Mon 1 Mar, 2010 09:50 pm
A recent conspiracy theory I entertained was that some of the recent car company woes from companies... not in Detroit, and not bailed out.... Well let's just put it this way, now that the government has such a big stake in certain car manufacturers being successful I wonder how their role of regulating the car manufacturers might be impacted. I don't actually think it is the case so much as I worry about what conflicts of interest there may be.
patiodog

Mon 1 Mar, 2010 10:07 pm
Quote:
That the military industrial complex was largely responsible for engineering the overthrow of saddam, in order to enrich themselves.

Well, Eisenhower warned us, and he would have known...

Quote:

Any particular speculation that strikes your fancy? I kind of figure that Oswald was such a weirdo it couldn't have been a straight contract killing, that there would have had to have been some subterfuge to get him to do it...

Quote:

Hmmm.

Quote:
My grandmother told me more than once that they staged the moon landing. I spoke to another man, who told me it was not possible to land there; it moves too fast for them to catch it.

This concern was not addressed on Myth Busters.

Quote:
A recent conspiracy theory I entertained was that some of the recent car company woes from companies... not in Detroit, and not bailed out.... Well let's just put it this way, now that the government has such a big stake in certain car manufacturers being successful I wonder how their role of regulating the car manufacturers might be impacted. I don't actually think it is the case so much as I worry about what conflicts of interest there may be.

Same thought occurred to me, with a twist: many models are routinely having these problems, but regulatory agencies usually look elsewhere in exchange for some cash -- basically blackmail.

Not that I really buy it, but --------- well, if you told me it'd been done for Soviet autmobiles in the USSR in the 1960s...
0 Replies

dlowan

Mon 1 Mar, 2010 10:22 pm
I believe the Nazis burned the Reichstag.

That's the problem with them.

Every now and then one turns to be true. Actully, with political skulduggery, quite often!

Now I am wondering why I dare to think that 9/11 was a bunch of Saudis flying jets into stuff, and JFK was killed by Oswald.

0 Replies

plainoldme

Tue 2 Mar, 2010 05:58 am
@edgarblythe,
Quick! Duck! It's the zooming moon!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Tue 2 Mar, 2010 06:04 am
No doubt, Oswald was weird . . . but . . . except for his having been on what was the left . . . was Oswald all that different from some of today's weirdos.

This isn't exactly a conspiracy, but, I have often wondered how a few celebrities . . . Marilyn Monroe and John Lennon . . . might have changed/evolved as people if they had not died when they did. I decided that Marilyn's personality might have taken a Georgia O'Keefe turn . . . not that she would have become a painter, but that she might have become a crusty loner. Sometimes, I worry that Lennon might have become a conservative reactionary.
0 Replies

msolga

Tue 2 Mar, 2010 06:16 am
There were/still are heaps of very colourful conspiracy theories surrounding the disappearance of Australian prime minister, Harold Holt, in the late 1960s. He went for a swim in the ocean one day & vanished from the face of the earth. About the wildest theory I've heard (but don't subscribe to) is that he was picked up by a waiting submarine & transported to China. Apparently he was a spy for the Chinese. Wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Holt#Enquiries_into_Holt.27s_disappearance
0 Replies