Asteroid Bennu had water

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2018 03:36 pm
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9a/Asteroid-Bennu-OSIRIS-RExArrival-GifAnimation-20181203.gif/1024px-Asteroid-Bennu-OSIRIS-RExArrival-GifAnimation-20181203.gif
Asteroid Bennu from OSIRUS-REx

From Space.com

Quote:
It looks like NASA chose the right space rock for its asteroid-sampling mission.

The agency's OSIRIS-REx probe, which just arrived at Bennu last week, has already found hydrated minerals on the 1,640-foot-wide (500 meters) near-Earth asteroid, mission team members announced today (Dec. 10).

The discovery suggests that liquid water was once plentiful in the interior of Bennu's parent body, which scientists think was a roughly 62-mile-wide (100 kilometers) rock in the main asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter. (Bennu is likely a pile of rubble that coalesced after a massive impact shattered that larger object hundreds of millions of years ago.)

more...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 890 • Replies: 7
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2018 03:46 pm
If early bodies in space were formed having water, I have long wondered why some have assumed Earth did not. Not here to argue. Just the facts. All I want are the facts.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2018 04:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
I seem to recall it was supposedly boiled away. Perhaps it came back from being a great cloud in the sky. I bet H G Wells would like that one.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2018 07:51 pm
If, as has been hypothesized, a large planetesimal sideswiped Mars about four billion years ago, and the so-called asteroid belt was created from the shattered planetesimal and the ejecta from Mars--the water could have been from the scattering of Mars' volatiles inventory.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2018 10:29 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9a/Asteroid-Bennu-OSIRIS-RExArrival-GifAnimation-20181203.gif/1024px-Asteroid-Bennu-OSIRIS-RExArrival-GifAnimation-20181203.gif

That pirouetting chicken croquette never had water. I believe it always had gravy.
https://www.mamas-southern-cooking.com/images/ChickenCroquettes-32.jpg
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2018 04:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

If early bodies in space were formed having water, I have long wondered why some have assumed Earth did not. Not here to argue. Just the facts. All I want are the facts.

That's still a prevailing theory. Wikipedia has a pretty good article about it here.

The Mars theory is a new one on me.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2018 04:36 pm
@tsarstepan,
That formation on the lower part of Bennu that comes around from the left looks like a shack that you'd find here in the middle of the desert.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2018 12:06 pm
@InfraBlue,
Would you know what the monthly rent is for that shack? And if Amazon Prime delivers to that residence? #askingforafriend
0 Replies