Spa disconnect

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2018 07:30 am
I live in Florida and I am installing a 50a Midwest Spa disconnect. In addition to hookng up the spa, I am running a 120v 20a outlet to the patio. The Midwest panel is set up to handle 125a. Since it will have a 50a GFCI breaker for the spa and a 20a GFCI breaker for the outlet, what size breaker do I need at the main panel, also, what size wires do I need to run from the main panel to the 125a disconnect panel?

Thanks,
Scott
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 618 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Ponderer

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2018 09:03 am
@MrMakeItWorse,
All I know is that the size of the wire necessary is relative to the length . Whoever can answer your questions will need to know that. (The length)
MrMakeItWorse

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2018 09:38 am
@Ponderer,
The run from the main panel to the disconnect is around 40 feet, and the run from the disconnect to the spa is around 45 feet.
Ponderer

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2018 09:05 am
@MrMakeItWorse,
I can't believe no one has answered. There was a resident electro-genius here, (I think he did some work for the Air Force or NASA) but he left. He got pretty battered on 'count'v'is 'breviations.
0 Replies

taopathway

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2018 09:17 am
@MrMakeItWorse,
use a 50 amp double breaker in the panel "probably 6-6-6-6 guage SER service entrance cable" (not 100% sure on wire size) for the spa.
use a 20 amp breaker and 12-2 wire for the patio GFCI outlet
I would get an electrician since there are many separate codes for pool areas, and how to wire them. also a different wire setup might come out of the disconnect to the actual spa unit. As long as the spa has lights or buttons with lights you will need a nuetral
0 Replies