Inconsistencies with the Big Bang theory are now observations that support it?

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2018 06:10 pm
The chains and sheets of galaxies, and the voids between them, observed in the large-scale structure of the universe, were once thought to be inconsistent with the Big Bang Theory. Explain how these observations now support the theory?

maxdancona

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2018 07:20 pm
@antennastokendra,
I have a Physics degree, but no special understanding of cosmology. I hope this isn't an anti-science thread. What makes you think that these were "once thought to be inconsistent with the Big Bang Theory". According to whom?

In science when you get new data that contradicts an existing theory, you go back to work... sometimes the new data suggests a minor change to the theory, occasionally it means the theory needs to be completely reworked. That is one of the unique strengths of the hard sciences... it is all about evidence. You go with the evidence whether it supports your ideas or not.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2018 09:48 pm
@antennastokendra,
Homework sucks, eh? Especially if you haven't been taking notes in class and haven't read the text.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2018 05:34 am
@antennastokendra,
I like Max’s answer to your question. Go with that.
0 Replies