Food Addictions

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 08:24 am
First, in feeble defense of myself, I would like to state that I mostly eat healthy, organic food with a preference for local growers and small scale suppliers. I grow my own veggies in the summer, my chickens are free range. That said, I must confess to having become obsessed with McDonald's Sausage McGriddles - please help me before I eat again. I think they put crack in this stuff.

It all started a few weeks ago while on a little road trip with a friend. She stopped at the drive thru and bought this thing. As we were pulling out she insisted I take a bite. I did- and I made her turn around so I could go back and get my own. Is this sick or what? They have 400 calories each and 40 carbs. I don't even like red meat. I hate the concept of McDonalds and there ugly plastic stores. At this very moment I am thinking of going to town (a 12 mile drive) and getting one. I am trying to justify it by saying I will stop at the local food co-op and pick up some organic wheat flour so I can make some sour dough bread for dinner.

Confess! Confess! - is anyone else having food addiction problems? I think I'm starting to shake...

PS - I beat a Little Debbie Zebra Cake (frozen is best) addiction about 5 years ago by just going cold turkey, but they were a lot harder to find.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,016 • Replies: 24
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 08:40 am
Boy do I feel lucky that my only food addiction is Tabasco sauce!

I even carry a little bottle in my purse so that if a restaurant offers an imposter sauce I'm prepared.

Good luck with the McDonalds thing. Sometimes if you allow yourself to indulge you can get over it quicker.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 08:41 am
Sorry for the double post.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 08:46 am
I had a mcdonalds habit too. I'd quit eating all meat, I hated the establishment, etc. I still went back for egg mcmuffins or french fires for years! I finally kicked the habit, I know you can too, Green Witch.

What bad food habits do I have now? Hmmm.... My chocolate consumption is still verra high. And, I need a dunkin donuts egg and cheese bagel sandwich about once every week or two.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 10:00 am
It is the sugars in them! sugar is addictive. It creates an " amped up " feeling that when you come down from it, your body craves more.

mcdonalds for some strange reason has a very addictive quality to it???
Im wondering what else is in them aside from sugar. Mad

(( chants ))
mcdonalds is bad
mcdonalds is bad
mcdonalds is bad
mcdonalds is bad
mcdonalds is bad
mcdonalds is bad
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 10:03 am
watch the movie Super Size it..
Twisted Evil
you will never look at a Mcdonalds again...
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 07:44 pm
Well too late for today - I gave in not long after posting this. I promise to try harder. Maybe I should put some of Boomer's hot sauce on it to knock out the sugar effect.

I did see "Super Size Me" and really enjoyed it. I've never been a fast food fan - this is the first item I've found that I actually want to eat. I don't think I've had a hamburger thingy since I was a kid. What might keep me away is the atmosphere, which at McDonalds is like a hospital cafeteria.

I did penitence for my sins by baking some nice sour dough bread this afternoon and I bought some goat cheese made at a local farm.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 07:47 pm
Ummmm, Miss OverLooking the Hudson, Ma'am, Sir.

Would you be recommending any good, respectable eateries for my travelling to New York thread?

Not Mickey D's though. Please.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 08:04 pm
Well ehBeth I lived in NYC for about 15 years and now I reside a good two hours north or so. Most of the funky little restaurants I loved are now long gone. Some have been replaced by things like Starbucks or Krispy Kremes, neither of which existed when I was there.

However, somethings are immortal in Manhattan (or so I hope)- I do suggest you visit my favorite Vermeers at The Frick Estate on 5th Ave. A trip uptown to see St. John the Divine Cathedral is a must. Please don't miss the IM Pei designed zoo in Central Park - the puffins are a delight and the polar bears make me want to weep with joy when they swim up to the windows. It's the little tucked away places that make Manhattan so special.

If you would like to take the trip north, aim for Woodstock, I can supply you with an excellent list of restaurants and fun little cafes. You would be a most welcome guest.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 08:10 pm
Little, tucked-away places are definitely the best, Green Witch.

North of New York isn't on this trip agenda, but it will be on another excursion, likely in the fall, if Oaxaca doesn't work out.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 08:15 pm
The Catskills are spectacular in the fall. Try and come for the Sheep and Wood Festival in October or The Garlic Festival in September.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 08:42 pm
I'm originally from just north of the 1000 Islands, so I understand about the Catskills in autumn.

On my last trip there (bit of a ladies of A2K get-together), we went up to Sam's point

http://img228.exs.cx/img228/554/whyyesthatissnow9bu.jpg
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 08:58 pm
Sam's Point is about 30 minutes from me. It is a great place to take the dogs. My husband I grow plants for their botanical restoration project. The best Chinese food outside of China is at Pure Lotus in Pine Bush, we always go there for lunch after a hike. Count me in for the next get together.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:02 pm
Wow!

Small world Very Happy

I recall looking Pine Bush up on Mapquest for that trip.

Small small world.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 10:09 am
<nodding>

I don't remember Pine Bush -- need to check a map.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 10:10 am
shewolfnm wrote:
watch the movie Super Size it..
Twisted Evil
you will never look at a Mcdonalds again...

I watched it and I still need the fries..... Sad
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 05:48 am
Green Witch - Funny you should talk about McD's. My husband figured out I was pregnant before I did because I (who historically had the same kind of eating habits you described in your original post) was desperate for a Big Mac. He said, "I'll grill you a hamburger", and I said "No, I need the special sauce. To this day - eighteen years later- my guiltiest pleasure is a Big Mac with a chocolate shake, which I allow myself about once a month.

But I've always been like that - for the most part I eat healthy - but have my little food indulgences that I allow myself on occasion. I think that keeps me from getting totally out of control.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 06:03 am
Aldan - I have a friend who eats one Burger King hamburger each month. She insists it stimulates her white blood cells (like a vaccine) and helps keeps her healthy. She might be right. She teaches the third grade and often refers to her school room as "a petri dish of bacteria", but I have never seen her sick. So maybe it's not all bad.

I've "been on the wagon" for about a month now. I've discovered that pouring real maple syrup onto a BOCA soy sausage gives my senses a similar reaction to what I get from the McGriddle. I guess it's working like a smoker who uses a nicotine patch.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 06:13 am
There ya go - and that solution doesn't entail feeling guilty about supporting McD's. It was interesting that you spoke about addictive ingredients. I've often wondered myself if they don't add something besides the sugar and fat that makes everyone just keep going back. I wonder also about sodas - and it has to be something more than the caffeine that has so many people so hooked. Knowing what we've learned about the tobacco companies and the additives they put in cigarettes, I wouldn't put it past the food industries...
I think I read you're from Maine. Sometime I'd like to talk to you about it - I lived there for eleven years and loved it.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 06:22 am
Probably for me the sugars and fats are enough to keep my body coming back for more. Never got the soda habit. My mom never bought it for us as kids. I actually did not have soda until I was about 14 and couldn't stand the teeth hurting sweetness of it. I do remember a neighbor putting cola in baby bottle for her toddler, by the time the kid was 10 he had a mouth full of silver fillings.

I'm actually in upstate NY, parts of it look like Maine.
0 Replies