what do u actually put in garlic bread???

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 02:08 pm
Yes, timber, I do that. I also always put a batch of garlic cloves in a thin puddle of lemon juice when I roast chicken now (some may remember a lemon chicken thread I started a few months ago..) and those are eminently schmooshable for later deliciousness.

You talkin' to me, farmer, re the finger food? Hand holdable, I said, hand holdable. Nothing dainty.

On the bacteria thing, POM, I think we have had a thread on that in the past. It is possible to get soil left on garlic pulled from the garden, and then if you put it in olive oil, the soil bacteria are in the oil too, and some anaerobes, such as clostridium botulinum if they are present, could thrive. Sort of like what happens when canned tomatoes aren't canned right. Once in a while someone dies.

That's what I opined before, and I can't remember if anyone rebutted me with better info.

I've never had left over garlic that I put in oil go bad, refrigerated or not. I presume purchased garlic in oil is pretty safe.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 03:10 pm
osso, It was timber who mentioned the finger food thing.
Garlic is natures most nearly perfect food Ive had garlic icer cream at Gilroy , and even though it sounds like hell , it was good.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 03:33 pm
Ooh, I'm sorry for teasing you wrongly, farmer.

Garlic ice cream, huh, says she who always stops in Gilroy as she goes down that highway...
Would you like snails with that?
0 Replies