jespah

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2018 01:04 pm
http://www.tmz.com/2018/11/12/stan-lee-dead-dies-marvel-comics/
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/stan-lee-marvel-comics-legend-721450

He founded Marvel Comics with Jack Kirby in 1961, and created Spider-Man, Black Panther, The Incredible Hulk, X-Men, Iron Man and The Avengers. Together, he and Kirby created The Fantastic Four.

The Hollywood Reporter wrote:
Born Stanley Martin Lieber on Dec. 28, 1922, he grew up poor in Washington Heights, where his father, a Romanian immigrant, was a dress-cutter. A lover of adventure books and Errol Flynn movies, he graduated from DeWitt Clinton High School, joined the WPA Federal Theatre Project, where he appeared in a few stage shows, and wrote obituaries.

In 1939, Lee got a job as a gofer for $8 a week at Marvel predecessor Timely Comics. Two years later, for Kirby and Joe Simon's "Captain America #3," he wrote a two-page story titled "The Traitor's Revenge!" that was used as text filler to qualify the company for the inexpensive magazine mailing rate. He used the pen name Stan Lee.

He was named interim editor at 19 by publisher Martin Goodman when the previous editor quit. In 1942, he enlisted in the Army and served in the Signal Corps, where he wrote manuals and training films with a group that included Frank Capra, William Saroyan and Theodor Geisel. After the war, he returned to the publisher and was the editor for decades.

Following DC Comics' lead with the Justice League, Lee and Kirby in November 1961 launched their own superhero series, The Fantastic Four, for the newly renamed Marvel Comics, and Hulk, Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, Daredevil and X-Men soon followed. The Avengers launched as its own title in September 1963.

Perhaps not surprisingly, Manhattan's high-literary culture vultures did not cast its approval on how Lee was making a living. People would “avoid me like I had the plague … today, it's so different,” he once told The Washington Post.

Not everyone felt the same way, though. Lee recalled once being visiting in his New York office by Federico Fellini, who wanted to talk about nothing but Spider-Man.

https://images.tmz.com/2018/11/12/1112-remembering-stan-lee-photos-launch-3.jpg

maporsche

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2018 05:19 pm
This is a bummer.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2018 07:28 pm
Rest In Peace creator of heroes!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2018 07:49 pm
@jespah,
A master of so many things, including diversity. Fabulous guy.

Washington Heights. We know about Washington Heights.

RIP Mr. Lee.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2018 07:52 pm
https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/46033152_1954314194648782_5536200496513024000_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-yyz1-1.xx&oh=d7c004a2fde4674d852e5bb89a869300&oe=5C7B472C
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2018 08:57 pm
Sad day indeed. Good man, had a good life with a troubled ending.
Real Music

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2018 09:22 pm
@jespah,
I was a avid reader of Marvel comic books from approximately 1975 to 1985.
Stan Lee, rest in peace.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2018 02:15 am
Lives of great men all remind us, we can make our lives sublime, and, departing, leave behind us, footprints on the sands of time. Longfellow.

Stan Lee's creations, like Sherlock Holmes, will go on and on. Pretty deep footprints.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2018 03:45 am
I wonder how many more cameos Lee filmed for future Marvel film adaptations. I bet we'll be seeing him on the silver screen for at least another year if not longer.
farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2018 04:24 am
@izzythepush,
I kept a notebook of his characters when I was a kid and i watched the artistic hanges he wracked with many of his suprheroes. I was mostly impressed with his abilities to mld the backgrounds seamlessly into the picture and action. I also liked his trick to include one big page sized drawing in about very several issues.

He and John Cullen Murphy and Frank Frazetta were my favorite cartoonists for real life work

He will be missed .
rosborne979

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2018 05:34 am
@jespah,
No more cameos. I’ll miss this guy.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2018 06:42 am
@McGentrix,
By his troubled ending are you referring to the "elder care" he was receiving? I wonder if that case was resolved in favor of his daughter , since I understand she wasnt so healthy either.
jespah

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2018 01:33 pm
@farmerman,
Well, as I recall, he was embroiled in lawsuits at the end.
farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2018 05:14 pm
@jespah,
I recall he was being mistreated by his caregiver and she was pilfering cash nd treasures that were willed to his daughter.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2018 06:17 am
Quote:
Comic book legend Stan Lee was working on a new superhero with his daughter before his death, she has revealed.

Speaking to TMZ, JC Lee described the character - Dirt Man - as "the last little angel we've got tucked away".

She told the entertainment site: "I said, 'Daddy, please - no clatter, no steel, no any of that. Let's get down and dirty.' It is very interesting."

JC Lee gave no more information about the concept but said she hoped it might inspire a movie.
JC Lee - full name Joan Celia Lee - said Dirt Man was the result of her "trying to get [her father] to do a character with me my entire life".

Her surprise revelation has already got fans speculating about the character's super powers.

"Does he clean the dirt or creates it?" pondered Penaaz Lall on Twitter. "If former, then surely Delhi needs him more than any other place!"

Another Twitter user wrote: "I hope they throw him in with Tony Stark [aka Iron Man] and there's lots of shoulder claps."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46207284
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2018 08:31 am
Stan was an admirable man.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 10:55 am
@farmerman,
I think you may be confusing Lee with Jack Kirby. Kirby was the artist; Lee was the writer. He created most of the characters, but it was Kirby who brought them to life on the page (Along with Steve Ditko and others).
farmerman

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 03:39 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Yeh, I didnt confuse em. I flat out didnt know about Kirby or Piffko. I went and looked it up on Wiki.
Apparently Stan was a minor cartoonist in the ARmy but his talents were at writing, producing, and the business end.

Oh well, Ill still like the work, Ill have to transfer all my Marvel cartoon likes to Kirby and Piffko. Im still stickin with John Cullen Murphy and Frank Frazetta as the artists of record for Prince Valiant and SCience Fiction
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 04:23 pm
@farmerman,
Agree 100% on Frazetta
0 Replies

johnyden

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2018 04:19 am
@jespah,
Rest in Piece, Stan Lee
0 Replies