Breaker Bar?

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 05:59 pm
I had a flat tire and the lug nuts were torqued on so tight that I couldn't loosen them with my standard-equipped lug wrench. Had to call for road service. The road service guy told me that I should buy a "breaker bar" and keep it in the trunk for the purpose of loosening lug nuts and changing tires.

What exactly is a breaker bar? How does it work? Does it provide more leverage or something? How? Is a breaker bar the same thing as a torque wrench?

Thanks ahead of time for any info. Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,098 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 06:06 pm
Looks like a tool that enables you to turn the nut on a bolt more easily. I would expect that you could buy one in any auto store. Personally, I don't know a breaker bar, from a torque wrench!

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search.php?form_keyword=breaker%20bar&skd=1
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 06:09 pm
As you take damge your breaker bar slowly fills, and once it is at its max you may use your limit skill.

Use limits and kill enemies as often as possible to learn new limit skills, but keep in mind that more powerful skills require much more damage to fill your breaker bar.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 10:43 pm
Oh, hey, thanks for the clarification, SCotes. I was laboring under the misinformation that a breaker bar was a bar longer than the usual ratchet wrench, with a square drive to match a socket, and not to be confused with a 'cheater bar'. Cheater bars are any type of lever that increases the length of a standard wrench.

Easyasabe, a torque wrench is completely different. It has a dial or clicking arrangement that actually measures the torque applied, and would be used to fasten a nut or bolt. When removing one, the torque is whatever needed, so there's no need to measure.

Let's see what SCotes comes up with for 'cheater bar'.
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 03:47 am
A breaker bar is simply a 1/2 drive witout the ratcheting part. Its just a big bar with a pivoting 1/2" drive on a long bar. Like this:

http://content.sears.com/data/product_images/009/44202/00944202000-dlv.jpg
0 Replies