Heavenly food in Utah

Maia

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 12:12 pm
I wonder if my post from yesterday was removed because the name of the restaurant I visited has a "swear" in its title? Not sure, but I've decided to post again because it was such a good experience. Hope I don't get censored again:

I've just returned from Utah, that most culinary-challenged of states, and finally found somewhere good to eat there. Hell's Backbone Grill, in a tiny town called Boulder. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. Very Chez Panisse feeling, but less expensive---organic, regional, homemade gourmet food, a beautiful setting, and the owner is one of those "last of a dying breed" types who visited our table and chatted with us for quite a long time. She and her business partner (who was cooking in the kitchen, we didn't meet her) have just come out with a cookbook, "With a Measure of Grace" about their restaurant and community (small Mormon town, and they are Buddhists). I have been cooking with it all week. Highly recommend it. Here's one of the recipes from their website Edit [Moderator]: Link removed:

Heavenly Lemon Chiffon Cake
(as seen in Oprah magazine)

2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup cold water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
Zest from 2 lemons
5 egg yolks
7 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Glaze:
1/3 cup soft butter
2 cups powdered sugar
Zest from 1 lemon
2 teaspoons lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in bowl and stir to mix. Add in order: the cold water, the oil, vanilla, lemon zest, and, one by one, the five egg yolks. Set batter aside. Combine egg whites and cream of tartar and beat until very stiff (much stiffer than angel food cake). Fold egg whites into the batter and pour batter into an ungreased tube pan. Bake 40 minutes. Hang upside down over a bottle until cake is cool. Turn out.

For glaze, mix soft butter with powdered sugar, zest and lemon juice. Spread over cooled cake.

Enjoy!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,774 • Replies: 18
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 04:45 pm
Maia, I think you ran into trouble because the link went to a page which sold products. You can list the name of the restaurant, but, it seems, not the link. It's ok, we can find it if we want to......
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 05:09 pm
Hi Maia, welcome to A2K. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

I love your name. It's the same as a certain 13 year old who is near and dear to my heart.
0 Replies

Maia

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 02:35 am
thanks for the warm welcomes!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 09:39 am
I know a 2 year old with the same name.....!
0 Replies

Maia

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 03:11 am
Spelled the same? I usually see Maya.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 04:15 am
In my native language (Latvian) it would be spelled Maija.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:31 am
Yes, spelled the same. That's why I commented on it. My daughter loves her name and it's unusual spelling.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:38 am
I dunno about the 2 year old, I'll ask.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 07:09 pm
Isn't Maia the name of one of the Pleiades?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 07:13 pm
A goddess, the eldest and brightest star of the Pleiades
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 08:33 pm
Brightest being a strictly relative term. My poor old eyes can only make out the cluster on the clearest of nights.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 08:36 pm
<I understand, Roger>
0 Replies

Maia

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 11:52 am
A little history, since you asked!

Maia was the eldest of the daughters, and said to be the most beautiful. Being shy, she lived quietly and alone in a cave on Mount Cyllene, in Arcadia.

Zeus, however, discovered the beautiful young woman, and fell in love with her. He came to her cave at night, to make love to her away from the jealous eyes of his wife, Hera. As a result, Maia bore Zeus a son, Hermes.

When still an infant, Hermes stole some cattle from the god Apollo, and hid them in his mother's cave. When Apollo stormed into Maia's cave, she showed him the tiny baby to prove he could not have been the cattle thief. Apollo was not fooled, however, and angrily appealed to Zeus to punish Hermes. Zeus arbitrated by requiring Hermes to give back the cattle. During the feud, baby Hermes played the lyre, and Apollo was so enchanted by the music that he dropped the charges, and even gave some of the cattle to Hermes, as well as other gifts.

Some time later, Maia helped Zeus when Hera had caused the death of one of his other mistresses, Callisto, who had borne him a son, named Arcas. Zeus ordered Hermes to give Arcas to Maia to raise as her own, which she did. Arcas and Callisto were eventually placed in the sky, becoming the constellations Ursa Major and Ursa Minor (Big and Little Bear) to escape the wrath of the ever-jealous Hera.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 04:33 pm
dyslexia wrote:
A goddess, the eldest and brightest star of the Pleiades

And the largest star on the Suburu emblem.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 04:56 pm
I got nipped by the mods once for posting a link to a brand of fertilizer.

Maybe they think I'm really Scott Peterson?
0 Replies

masivo

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 05:28 pm
Everyone talks about your name MAiA-PLEIADES (beautiful), tell me when we can try Heavenly Lemon Chiffon Cake ? I'm "new"
0 Replies

Maia

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:52 pm
Masivo,

Thanks! The recipe is on page one of the thread...it's from the new Hell's Backbone Grill cookbook (With a Measure of Grace, the Story and Recipes of a Small Town Restaurant.) Hope you like it... Let me know how it turns out!
0 Replies

masivo

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 04:51 pm
Ok I'll do it by myself :-) Thanks , and remember if You wish some recipies from Poland I can help.
Best for original party, best for common kitchen!
0 Replies