Pluto free TV

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 11:03 pm
Been seeing online ads for it. Has anybody tried it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,535 • Replies: 12
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2018 05:17 am
@edgarblythe,
is it gluten free?
I dont like Ranch flavor
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2018 07:17 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Been seeing online ads for it. Has anybody tried it?

I watch it once or so a year (Thanksgiving or so... because Mystery Science Theater sometimes hosts their Turkey Day Marathon on the platform). They still do have a channel there 365 days a year.

Otherwise? I'm not to drawn to the free service. Seems relatively reliable app wise. Not sure about its business model or level of commitment to getting new content.

Not going to use it to watch videos on my phone (especially if I'll be using my own data - off public wifi connection).
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2018 07:25 am
@tsarstepan,
I use a small TV for a monitor to my desktop. It gets a nice picture.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2018 08:01 am
@edgarblythe,
Just as an aside, I'll recommend the app without hesitation. It's free and legitimate.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2018 08:19 am
@tsarstepan,
I may wade through their menu one day. I figure they must make you watch lots of commercials if it is totally free.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2018 08:37 am
@edgarblythe,
For the MST3k channel, the ads were reasonable. Can't say for the other channels.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2018 10:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
I figure they must make you watch lots of commercials if it is totally free.
I concur with tsarstepan that it is a legitimate app:
http://techcrunch.com/2017/05/16/streaming-tv-service-pluto-tv-adds-an-on-demand-video-library/

There are definitely commercials, but it's tolerable (for me at least). I would say about the same as watching ABC/CBS/NBC over an antenna.

As I recall they stream their content at 60fps. Native 24fps would be nicer for movies.

But on the other hand, when I watch a 24fps movie on a service that includes commercials, I force my Roku to 60fps output anyway. Otherwise the TV bounces back and forth between 24fps and 60fps relentlessly during commercial breaks (so relentlessly that I fear for the durability of my TV circuitry). So maybe 60fps is for the best on a free service with commercials.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2018 08:41 am
Watched it on the laptop the other day, and the commercials were tolerable. Haven't tried watching it on the phone yet, although I've d/l'd the app. If I take the tablet with me for Thanksgiving, I'll load it and see if I can watch something or other during the train ride to NY.
0 Replies

homesick32

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2019 08:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
I have used it for 5 months now, did not give so much hope on it in apknite and i was right. lots of adv, it's understandable but again, too many adv before you can watch a channel. and it comes back again when you change the channel and every 1 hour
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2019 09:28 pm
I have it on a smart TV now. I rarely even check it out.
0 Replies

mystikmind

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2019 09:29 pm
Took me a while to figure out this is not about a tv that does not use Plutonium.... (since no tv uses plutonium anyway) or a tv channel that never shows the dwarf planet Pluto... or a certain Disney character.... because never showing these things named Pluto might be something important to allot of people?? who knows?
Then it dawned on me.... OHhhh its free TV named Pluto, now i get it! hahahaha
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2019 07:31 am
@homesick32,
homesick32 wrote:

I have used it for 5 months now, did not give so much hope on it in apknite and i was right. lots of adv, it's understandable but again, too many adv before you can watch a channel. and it comes back again when you change the channel and every 1 hour

The problem is... that Pluto TV has been bought up by Viacom at the beginning of 2019 (months after this thread was opened). So ... the aspect of advertisements and their frequency has definitely changed since then. I don't plan on returning to the app as the appearance of older MST3k episodes in other formats has been answered. Plus the Turkey Day Marathon can be found elsewhere.
0 Replies