Changing a script - HELP!

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 04:18 am
Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing.

I am perfoming all duologues between Benedick and Beatrice with a friend for a high school assessment in a style that was used by Brecht (jumping around in time etc), but my friend and I wanted to perform it, not necessarily in a more modern way, just with more understandable words. Unfortunately we're having trouble changing the script without altering the litte rude jokes and double meanings that only work when you use the words Shakespeare used.

Any suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 938 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 06:40 am
And that is why Shakespeare has lasted has long as he has. He has a "way" with language. Play around with it, and it will be simply another high school skit. If I were you, I would not attempt to alter his words.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 11:15 am
v.i. - feel free to post specific examples that you're concerned about. Maybe we can help you in making them clearer.
0 Replies

pink thespian13

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 09:49 am
Phoenix maybe the reason she wants to alter them is because she tasteful when it comes to rude jokes and stuff like that? If so, Village Idiot how great of you! Don't listen to what anyone on this board says about "Shakespeare being a mastermind" and how you shouldn't change his words. If you're uncomfortable saying something then don't say it! Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 03:12 pm
pink_t--

Shakespeare is a master of tasteful bawdry as well as high drama.

The complaint is that altering the words also changes the meaning--and village idiot wants to keep the meaning.

Have you ever heard of the Bowdler family? They are well known in theatrical circles.
0 Replies

villiage idiot

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 03:52 am
noddy24-

thank you for making me sound clearer.

We have changed the script in some places to suit a more modern audience, but we were wondering (and i'm about to make myself look like a real village idiot) if some of the lines were intended to be rude or not.

ie "But I pray thee now tell me, for which of my bad parts didst thou first fall in love with me?"
and
"I can find no other rhyme for lady, but baby - an innocent rhyme"
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 11:57 am
IMO, "bad parts" was intended to be bawdy. I'm not so sure about lady/baby, but a modern audience might get it, so you might as well go for what humor you can.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 12:47 pm
You can never go broke by pandering to the groundlings.

I agree with Mac--the "bad parts" should be flaunted, leg, breast, possibly backside given the rhythm of the scene.

As for:

Quote:
"I can find no other rhyme for lady, but baby - an innocent rhyme"

Benedict circles around behind his quarry and attempts to cradle Beatrice's breasts..."an innocent rhyme".

Think Sight Gags--as well as witty language.
0 Replies