2002 Ford Escape Steering and Spring noise

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 05:19 pm
Here's my problem and I hope someone can help before i go to a dealership:
When turning the steering wheel left or right, I get a squealing noise from the left front wheel. All appears to be in order and even after spraying lubricant on all the components, the noise is still there, only from the left side. Thought it might have been the steering rack but NO.Also whenever going over rough surface, little bumps I get what sound like a spring squeal. Pushing down on the front end also replicates the same spring squeal . CV boots looks to be o.k.
Any suggestions. and thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,301 • Replies: 1
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 08:10 pm
Had something similar in an 89 dodge spirit. At the top of the strut is what chrysler calls a turning plate, or something like that. Ford probably has something like that with a different name - it's really a thrust bearing. Mine was diagnosed and fixed at a Big O tire store, by the way, so have a front end shop check it out. Undoubtably cheaper than a dealer.

Don't try it yourself. They tell me the strut spring is a killer. Literally. If this turns out to be the problem, get the struts checked as well (as I'm sure they will) as the strut has to come out anyway to replace the part.

Not saying this is the problem, but it sure could be, and it's not awfully expensive.
0 Replies