bstreet

Fri 12 Oct, 2018 08:15 am
I bought a single family rental property that has a new 200 amp panel but the home has electric baseboard heat that runs to a 100 amp sub-panel. My questions are 1. If the sub-panel is for 220v heat only does it require a ground back to the main? Currently, the panel is running with copper SEC type cable with only 3 wires. I assume that it will require a ground but just checking. 2. Whoever installed this sub-panel put it in a bedroom closet, it is upside down with the panel at floor level. Should I leave it at floor level and enclose it with something or should I raise it to normal height? If I raise it I would have to junction the 100 amp wire in the crawlspace to increase the height of the panel. Any suggestions are helpful.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,000 • Replies: 1
Topic Closed
No top replies

taopathway

Sun 2 Dec, 2018 11:07 pm
@bstreet,
the heat is supposed to be only 3 wires, two of which are current carrying 120 plus 120 makes 240 volts and the other wire is a ground. heat doesn't need a neutral. technically the neutral and ground bars in a main panel are connected though. a neutral is mostly for lights like your clock light on your oven/range/cooktop for big wires from what I hear, leave the panel but it should legally have been inspected before sold, so my real estate uncle tells me. I do not see any issues with it floor level, it might not be code but as long as no problems arise its ok.. doesn't sound good if you have a little one left alone but...….
0 Replies