Cooking 101: Stocks, Sauces and Soups.

cjhsa

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 11:10 am
I have that Vincent Price cookbook! I almost forgot I owned it. It was a wedding gift from my godfather. He also gave us Larousse Gastronomique, which is an addicting read, though I don't think I've ever cooked anything based upon it.
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 11:46 am
Heeheehee,..I have that Vincent Price cookbook!!
Got it at a yard sale when I was a teenager! Laughing

I haven't forgotten about this thread, will try to finish up some today!

Works been MENTAL, and so have I!! Twisted Evil Laughing
0 Replies

bzgootch

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 10:32 am
JerryR-i'm waiting for information on what sauces goes on what, also looking forward for your soups.Your first two posts are unbeleivable.Thank you.
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 08:58 am
Hi all,..Just got home from having a couple of procedures done at the hospital Shocked , not too serious, or expected, but I was in for a few days,..no worries,..all is well Very Happy

I must catch up with a few things I've put off, this thread is on the top of my list. Very Happy
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 08:34 pm
Hi All,

I couldn't get to this any sooner,..sorry! Cheffie's work is NEVER done!! Twisted Evil

Anyway, I just updated through Hollandaise and Bearnaise Sauces Very Happy

Now, let's talk a bit about what sauces go with what dishes.
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 08:52 pm
Bechamel Sauce, and the small sauces made from it, are very versatile.
You'd use bechamel to make scalloped potatoes. A very thick version is used to bind croquettes. The addition of cheese makes it a nice sauce for many vegetables. A touch of heavy cream and you can make creamed veggies. It is also used in white lasagna, pasticcio and used as a sauce for canneloni. Basically,..meat, fish, veggie...bechamel is a good sauce to know! Very Happy
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 08:59 pm
Veloute Sauces, and the small sauces made from them, are not quite as common as they once were. I think that cavfanciar mentioned earlier, flavor follows flavor,..in other words White and red wine sauces made with fish veloute,..are meant for fish dishes,. Supreme sauce made with chicken veloute is meant for chicken dishes. Very Happy
0 Replies