Anyone experience this before?

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 02:19 pm
Can someone please help me?

I have my computer on during the day and when I go to sleep, I turn it off and unplug the computer, DSL plug, and monitor plug, then when I wake up, I plug them all in and turn on my computer, I've been doing this for around a year, with absolutely no problems, but just in the past several days, when i do this, the computer doesn't turn on. I have the plug in the outlet and I see an LED light switch in the harddrive, but when I press the power button, nothing happens!! It always used to turn on perfectly for a long time, except for the last couple days. The computer isn't more than a year old, it's clean, everything looks perfect. Okay, here is the kicker, I'm their pressing the power button repeatedly like a dummy, like you see impatient people doing at the walk button at sidewalks or at escalator buttons thinking after every push, something will happen.

Here is the weird part that I'm not sure any of you have gone through, what i did was I unplugged the DSL ethernet cable from the computer, and the mouse, and the keyboard, then i plugged the keyboard and mouse back in the comuter, nothing works, THEN I plug the ethernet cable into the computer, and then I push the power button, AND FINALLY THE COMPUTER TURNS ON!!!
:O

And the DSL box power plug wasn't even plugged into the outlet!!! :O What I got out of it, is that for some reason, the DSL cable, has to be plugged in in order for my computer to start!!!! WHAT!?!?! THIS IS REALLY WEIRD TO ME!! IT'S AS IF MY COMPUTER IS WORKING LIKE A SYMBIOT TO THE DSL, LIKE IT HAS TO BE TOGETHER IN ORDER TO WORK!!

I know this sounds strange, that's why I'm asking you all for help or advice. Anybody has been through this before or something similar where their computer had trouble starting??? I hate to think I have to go through this stupid routine every morning when I wake up, unplugging the wires and cables behind the comp and then replugging them.

Do you guys suggest I don't take out the wires and cables from the computer and outlets and just leave it like that cause maybe the power surge of taking out the plugs might be affecting the computer or is it something else??

Thanks, would appreciate responses.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 631 • Replies: 5
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 06:06 pm
Hi Chris

I'd suspect that the switch itself is suspect, being a combination of mechanical and EM that could possibly explain why the power drain from the NIC when the ethernet cable is plugged in does something to make the switch 'catch'.

Of course I'm tempted to tell you to 'leave it alone' once it works. Doesn't your cable pulling ritual drive you nuts? I just turn off everything at the wall after shutdown. And if I'm really anal I pull out the plugs at the wall, the rest of it I stay right away from - the more you move plugs around the more the connections wear.

And I wouldn't worry about the symbiont thing. Your PC isn't even network aware until your well into the boot up sequence, although the NIC will pick up activity from a live network even when the PC is off (but plugged in).

You could go nuts trying every combination of components but I'm lazy. Just find what works and leave it alone.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 06:12 pm
Sounds like a switch or power supply problem. Me, I turn off my PC/monitor/printer when I go to bed, but leave the DSL modem on. Why? Because DSL can get fu--ed up easily, and can take several minutes or longer to reconnect properly. Plus, the green LED's make a nice nightlight.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 06:55 pm
A few things come to mind. It could be, as mentioned, mechanical, but I think that a remote possibility. It could be an ACPI Power Management issue. Power Management settings generally can be managed via entering the BIOS "Setup Mode" at the beginning of the boot process, consult your machine's documentation for precisely how to enter the BIOS and how, once there, to turn off ACPI.

Another thing that comes to mind would be the NIC's own power management settings; check in Device Manager, select the NIC, go to its Properties, open the Power Management tab, and deselect any options.

Personally, I leave my machines on 24/7, allowin' 'em to shut off their monitors after a bit of inactivity, and to "Sleep" after a bit longer. Everything, includin' phone/DSL lines, is connected through surge-protected, voltage-regulatin' backup power supplies. My routers, switches, and DSL interface are never powered off other than as might be required for maintenance. Other peripherals such as printers, scanners, outboard drives, speaker systems, hubs, etc. all are connected to power in such fashion as to enable them each individually to be powered up or down independent of the rest of the gear, but mostly I leave all of that stuff powered up all the time too; most of it has its own method of enterin' a standby state when idle, or consumes next-to-no power while idle. I like the LEDs too - lotsa green and blue and red little stars illuminatin' the nightime sky of the office Laughing - and, if one happens to not be on, my attention is called to lookin' to see why.
0 Replies

chris56789

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 11:08 am
thanks everybody!!

I decided to just not mess with the plugs (i kept all the plugs plugged in) and it worked fine. I guess pulling the plugs in and out every night and morning was messing it up.

thanks !
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 11:22 am
I never turn anything off. Switches etc. can't break if you don't use them :-)
0 Replies