Why so few episodes of these shows? Idea
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,874 • Replies: 23
No top replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 09:40 pm
The practice used to be on Sunday. Now it's on Monday and several weeks intervene between episodes.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 01:50 am
I'm not sure about Practice, but I stopped watching ER in year two when they went from mid-December to March with no new episodes. I'm not sure why they do that.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 05:57 am
I'm sick of all these "reality" shows on TV. Enough already!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 07:00 am
I don't know where I have read this but anyway.....
Years ago a TV season was usually from the end of September to the end of May (my dates may not be correct- can anyone help me on this?). There were many more shows produced in one season.

Nowadays, (again, I don't know the number) far fewer shows are produced per season.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 07:05 am
Phoenix:

One thing I've noticed is that very often the new "Reality" shows are being placed in the ER and The Practice slots. Very disappointing to me, since I love ER and The Practice.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 07:06 am
Found this:

Quote:
But if the trade account is accurate, that puts the Sopranos supporting cast members on a pay par with what their supporting counterparts at NBC's West Wing received last year. However, the Mafia drama earns its stars lower yearly salaries because the cable series only tapes 13 episodes per season as opposed to an average 22 for a broadcast series.

So broadcast TV tapes around 22 shows per season, out of 52 weeks. It seems to me that in the past, it was about 40 shows!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 07:07 am
There's tons of $$ in the re-runs. I see The Practice re-runs all the time.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 07:11 am
New Haven- The reality shows are proliferating for one reason- they sell soap powder and SUVs. I remember being glued to the first "Survivor" show. After that, it was "been there, done that", and I have not watched another one!

I can watch reruns of Law & Order over and over again, which I do rather than viewing the junk that is on TV now!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 07:16 am
This article is a few years old, but I think that it will give you new insight into the situation:

Link to Reality Show Article

Quote:
The bottom line is that most reality programs - from Fox's long-running "Cops" to ABC's "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" to CBS's "Big Brother," can be churned out at a fraction of the cost of sit-coms and dramas.

"Not only are these shows cheaper to produce, but they're getting the audience. Where's the loss?" asks Joe Saltzman, associate dean at USC's Annenberg School for Communications. "Who's going to want to pay to produce. 'The Practice' or 'Seinfeld' when you see 'Millionaire' take the top six spots in the ratings?"
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 07:16 am
Aren't there 3 versions of Law and Order?

I watch all of the versions of L&O.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 07:22 am
NH- Yup- Three versions, the regular, Special victims, and Criminal intent. Do you get TNT on your TV? Monday and Tuesday nights they have the newer reruns of L&O running practically all evening, and there is one I think on Wednesday night!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 07:29 am
You got more law 'n order than anyone....walks off, singing..... well, it IS a lot! But we got'm, too.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 02:45 pm
There's one night, when we get all 3 L&Os( back to back )
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 03:41 pm
You probably have to go back pretty far to find when they were doing forty new shows a season. I remember when it went from 26 to 22, and also when it went from 30 to 26. I know that there were more than thirty in the past but I can't remember when. I'm sure it was pre cable.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 03:52 pm
flyboy804- You have to remember, I go back pretty far! Very Happy It seems that little by little there are fewer and fewer episodes of shows produced per season.(I can remember when a show was sponsored by one specific sponsor!)
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 04:17 pm
Yes, just one sponsor and three commercials for a one hour show- start, middle and end; and weren't those "dancing Lucky's" great, before and after "Lucky Strike green went to war, yes, Lucky Strike green went to war". I fear that last bit will be meaningless to many.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 10:19 pm
Right now is Sweeps time so regular shows take an occassional back burner and new and interesting possibilities come on as well..its all about the numbers for them...how many people will watch what, when, and where. Those shows that havent shown great followings <you know millions and millions> tend to slip between the cracks, get rescheduled etc.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 10:56 pm
Regardless of how many shows they are down to per season, they seem to shoot themselves in the foot by the irregular scheduling. Just as you start to get into a storyline, the show disappears for three months.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 05:37 am
The Practice was FINALLY on last night. So..........I feel asleep at 10:30 pm and missed the second half!
0 Replies