I have something stuck in my print queue.

Intrepid

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 08:43 pm
boomerang wrote:

Maybe I'll try getting Mr. B to shut down his computer, I'll shut down mine and we'll shut down the printer and see what happens.

My computer throws little hissy fits all the time with the printer. Usually turning it off works fine.

The fax and copy function of the printer are still working without a hitch.

Do you have the computers networked? Or, are you using a print switch box? You have constant problems, but the other computer does not? Are you sure that the item in queue is not from the other computer?

You could also try the following:

Click on the Start Menu, select "Run" and type in "CMD". At the command prompt, type "net stop spooler". Once that is complete, type "net start spooler" without the quotes of course.

The job should disappear from the queue and you should be able to print again.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 09:04 pm
Oh! That might have worked.

Thanks Intrepid!

It doesn't appear in the print queue.

Of course, it didn't when I stopped the spooler the other way either.

Now, do I have to do anything to start the spooler again?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 09:06 pm
When I tried to print it said I needed to install a printer......

?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 09:08 pm
I typed in "net start spooler" and found the job still sitting there doing it's long-winded delete thing....
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 09:10 pm
boomerang wrote:
Now, do I have to do anything to start the spooler again?

Yes....Type "net start spooler" without the quotes of course the same as you did to stop it.

You didn't answer the network question :-)
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 09:11 pm
boomerang wrote:
I typed in "net start spooler" and found the job still sitting there doing it's long-winded delete thing....

Oh! It seems that the quickest way would be to re-install the printer as mentioned in another post.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 09:19 pm
I'm sorry - yes, we do have the computers networked.

I'm pretty sure that the problem file originated from my computer. I emailed it to myself and opened it on his computer when I couldn't get mine to print. The email file deleted without any problem.

It sounds like uninstall/reinstall is our best option so we will give that a try.

I thank you all very much for your time and advice, and sympathy. I absolutely do appreciate it.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 09:31 pm
You may also want to make a small change in your settings. In the printer properties, select advanced and be sure that the box that says "keep printed docuements" is NOT checked.

Good luck
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 10:45 pm
Just noticed this - really have nothin' to add to what Intrepid offered already (good job, BTW) - other than I've had the problem more than once myself, and have found the uninstall/re-install route is the way to go. As long as you have the necessary printer software handy, its no big deal at all. I have one Lexmark printer that seems to enjoy the process - asks for it all the time Laughing

BTW - while it may or may not actually be necessary, its prolly a good idea to uninstall/re-install on the netwoked machines too, if the printer's a shared resource.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 09:50 am
Mr. B uninstalled/reinstalled this morning and everything seems to be working fine again!

Thanks again, everyone, for all of your help.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 11:58 am
Embarrassed

Should have made sure you deleted the spooled files from the right computer....

I made the assumption that it was a local printer; the problem was actually on the computer that physically had the printer attached.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 12:23 pm
Please, don't be embarrassed!

It's not like I knew what I was talking about or how to explain it or would have even known how to answer that question if asked.

I'm grateful for the help you gave.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 12:50 pm
You see, I do this for a living....

lol.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 06:52 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Embarrassed

I made the assumption that it was a local printer; the problem was actually on the computer that physically had the printer attached.

I learned a long time ago never to make assumations when it comes to diagnosing computer problems 'long distance'. One never knows the level of expertise that is at the other end. I always try to ask the questions before a final solution.

A funny story is one where the techy asks the person at the other end of the phone to take the screws out of the computer and remove the case. They should then look for a particular card. The person says. "I can't find the card, only a picture tube" Laughing
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 07:05 pm
I've found it a great timesaver to tell folks specifically to turn on/turn off the "Box thingy where the CDs go and everything else hooks up to" as opposed to cyclin' the monitor on and off Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 11:24 am
timberlandko wrote:
I've found it a great timesaver to tell folks specifically to turn on/turn off the "Box thingy where the CDs go and everything else hooks up to" as opposed to cyclin' the monitor on and off Rolling Eyes

Amen to that.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 11:25 am
Intrepid wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Embarrassed

I learned a long time ago never to make assumations when it comes to diagnosing computer problems 'long distance'. One never knows the level of expertise that is at the other end. I always try to ask the questions before a final solution.

Thus my embarassment....
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 11:31 am
We all make mistakes. I used to tell my people that I had 2 rules.

The first rule is that the boss is always right.
The 2nd rule was when the boss is wrong, refer to rule number 1.

I also posted a sign in my office that said, "I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong

If we laugh at ourselves, we don't notice if somebody is laughing at us.

Have a great day :-)
0 Replies

mydave

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 12:50 pm
Bless you Intrepid
I had the same problem with a job being stuck in the queue for the last 4 days and your procedure did the trick. Thanks!

-Debbie H
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 01:03 pm
Hi Debbie H and welcome to A2K.

The people here give great advice, don't they?

Even when dealing with dolts like me who cannot describe the situation very clearly....
0 Replies