Has the Schiavo case Become a Political Football?

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 04:38 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Many people already have; you're just ignoring them, and I will not repeat them for you.

Stating that you have a perfect answer, but you won't stoop to give it is pretty transparent. How much energy would it take you to post a link to just one of the explanations?

Images of someone obeying verbal commands to make body motions must be considered undeniable evidence, unless explained.

Let me offer the hypothesis that you don't really care what the truth of this is.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 04:39 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
"Chronic vegetative state," I believe, is the correct medical term. Of course, the all-knowing Dr. Frist is offering a second opinion from several hundred miles away...

Thanx to the stellar advice of the good Dr. Frist, I now know that the next time I have a good cry I must first put a condom on my head. :wink:
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 04:43 pm
I'm not in the habit of assisting lazy readers or people who misconstrue what is being expressed by so many people on one thread.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 04:51 pm
The 2000 Republican Platform: "Medical decision-making should be in the hands of physicians and their patients."

The 2004 Republican Platform: "We must attack the root causes of high health care costs by: ... putting patients and doctors in charge of medical decisions."

Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, March 17, 2005: "So our -- Congress has acted tonight and the House of Representatives acted last night. ... It is clear to me that Congress has a responsibility since other aspects of government at the state level have failed to address this issue."

House Majority Leader Tom Delay, March 19: "For one person in one state court to make this decision is too heavy. ... It does take all of us to think this through."

http://www.dailykos.com
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 05:01 pm
[/QUOTE]Images of someone obeying verbal commands to make body motions must be considered undeniable evidence, unless explained.
Quote:

This is a simple parlor trick.

I predict you will post a response at some point on this thread.

It doesn't make me clairvoyant when you do respond.

Nor does it make it undeniable evidence that she 'opens her eyes' on an edited tape. Is a plant conscious if I ask it to turn its leaves to the sun and it does? Terri has predictable actions based on her condition. Asking her to do something she always does is NOT evidence that she is responding to the command.

When I was a kid, my grandfather would do tricks with his "pet fly". It would land on him. He would brush it off then command it to land on him again. The fly would do it. Does that mean the fly was trained and was following his commands?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 05:40 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:
One need not even consider Michael's motivation or Terri's condition, at all, to admit that simple truth. Yes, Florida Law lacks a provision to appropriately re-evaluate the "next of kin" status in this situation.

Michael could be the kindest, most considerate, compassionate Ex-husband there has ever beenÂ… but there can be no doubt that he moved on and when he did he ceased to be her next of kin in anything but flawed law.

Bill- For the sake of argument, let us assume that the law is flawed. The fact remains is that is the law we have. Until and if the law is ever changed, Michael is Terri's husband, whether he is in another relationship or not. If as you have contended, the law IS flawed, it needs to be changed, but through the appropriate channels, and not by an end run by Congress around the courts.
Come on Phoenix... you know damn well I'm well aware of what the law is. JoeFromChicago even filled in the soft spots. Contrary to Parados and others with reading comprehension problems claims; my position has not flaunted the law since Joe forced me to make minor adjustments.

Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:
Florida's flawed Law governing next of kin status has allowed this woman to be condemned without representation loyal to her or her true next of kin.

This is YOUR opinion. You are making the assumption that the law is flawed, and that Michael was not loyal to Terri I will not even address the emotional issues. The fact still remains, is that under the present law, the courts have consistently sided with Michael Schiavo.
You are getting into the emotional issues, Phoenix. There is no other explanation for your refusal to stop ducking the obvious by standing behind an already acknowledged law. Point blank:
If a person (not Terri) were capable of "waking up" from her current state isn't it obvious that upon learning her husband has been someone else's husband for a decade and is raising two children with his new wife, she would more than likely seek a divorce? Would ANY judge deny it? Of course, and of course not are the answers. Which means: The fact that she cannot answer for herself is the ONLY reason her estranged husband retains next of kin status. However inconvenient that FACT is for certain arguments; it remains undeniably simple, doesn't it?

I suspect, like many here, you are letting your personal feelings on the quality of Terri's current existence cloud your judgment on the obvious FACT that Michael's sole purpose in remaining married to a vegetable is to end her life. That may be for the best of reasons. That may be for the worst of reasons. But I don't see how a reasonable person can suggest that it's the basis for a marriage. Idea Now, once you admit the marriage is over than you have to admit the parents should be considered next of kin by any reasonable measure. Surely an Ex-husband that remarried a decade ago would never trump a woman's parents, would he? The fact remains: If Terry were able to speak for herself; it is highly unlikely she would remain married to a man who for all but legal purposes remarried a decade ago. That is no slam on Michael. It is the simple truth. It would still be the truth if Michael and Terri's parents were on opposite sides of the issue, but I suspect most of the posters here would switch sides. You are generally far more consistent than that and I remain quite surprised.

While it is beyond obvious that the Florida Courts have consistently ruled that Michael has the right to do what he's doing; it is absurd to deny the academic relevance of mine and others positions. I ask the lawyers here; is it still possible for the Supreme Court to step in and hear the case? (Yes) Is it possible that the majority could recognize the obvious fact that the marriage has been over for over a decade, and rule that Terri by proxy of her true next of kin is being denied her most fundamental constitutional right?(life). Lawyers?

However unlikely that may be, it remains possible. I need no reminder of the majority opinion that her condition is hopeless. That is irrelevant to establishing next of kin. I need no reminder that every other court has upheld that Florida law was followedÂ… this too is irrelevant if the Supreme Court were to rule that Florida's legislation (or lack of definition, or some other minor detail) violates Terri's constitutional rights. Now, while that may be highly unlikely since they have thus far shown no willingness to hear the case, that may very well change if a Federal Court were to rule in Terri's parent's favor. Please set aside your personal thought on Terri's specific case and examine the precedent and I think you will see my point about next of kin is quite valid.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 05:53 pm
The man has not relinquished his place beside Terri. He is doing what she wanted done. But, as she is vegetative and has been for a long time, he has the right to live on while doing right by her. It is emotionalism that would split hairs this way.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 05:56 pm
You got that right, edgar. If I'm ever in the state Terri is in now, I don't expect my wife to live out her life without another partner if she so chooses. Some people wanting to impose their own wishes on somebody else is beyond arrogance.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 06:00 pm
Thomas wrote:

Debra_Law wrote:
The right to substantive due process forbids the government to infringe certain “fundamental” liberty interests at all, no matter what process is provided, unless the infringement is narrowly tailored to serve a compelling state interest.” Reno v. Flores, 507 U.S. 292, 301–02, 113 S. Ct. 1439, 1447, 123 L. Ed. 2d 1, 16 (1993); accord Washington v. Glucksberg, 521 U.S. 702, 722, 117 S. Ct. 2258, 2268, 138 L. Ed. 2d 772, 788 (1997);

All right -- for one thing, I don't believe these precedents apply here. While the state doesn't have a right to kill Terri Schiavo, killing isn't what we are talking about. We are talking about discontinuing her life support. To argue that this is the same thing -- that this is an active act of "depriving someone of life", you would have to show that the 14th amendment establishes an affirmative duty to protect, as opposed to just a prohibition against actively taking a life. For what it's worth: In an earlier thread of yours, Debra, Fishin has provided several precedents that there is no such affirmative duty, and you have provided none to support your contention that it does.

Assuming, for the sake of the argument, that these precedents do apply here, it is my position that they were wrongly decided. The Fourteenth Amendment's language clearly implies that states do have the right to deprive someone of life, liberty, and property with due process of law. And in my opinion, this case is an example where there wasn't a compelling state interest in letting Terri Schiavo die, but where due process was nevertheless followed.

Debra_Law wrote:
Terri's parents ought to have access to a federal court to hear Terri's case concerning her "right to life" as protected by the federal constitution.

I disagree. I see no reason why the decision of a federal court should be any better informed than the decision of a state court. End-of-life jurisprudence, just like beginning-of-life jurisprudence, is a field on which reasonable people can severely disagree, so it makes sense to allow for state experimentation in the legal treatment of it. And just because the phrase "I am willing to make a federal case out of this" has become synonymous with "this is important to me" in everyday language, this doesn't mean that every important matter has to be actually decided in a federal court. I see this as just another power grab of the federal government against state governments, and I'm strongly against it.

(Apologies for re-grouping the paragraphs of this post after submitting it. It just seemed so much easier to read this way.)

Hi Thomas:

I found and reviewed the law enacted by Congress and the ensuing complaint that Terri's parents filed with the federal court on behalf of themselves and on behalf of their daughter.

Personally, I was deeply disappointed by the complaint drafted by the lawyers in this matter. The complaint cited several allegations concerning the deprivation of Terri's PROCEDURAL due process rights in the state court. There was no substantive due process claim. What the heck????? Why wasn't Terri's MOST IMPORTANT claim made?

I have a difficult time trying to understand, when given this AMAZING, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to litigate a significant federal issue, on a de novo basis, in a federal court . . . that lawyers who have worked for six or seven years on the case would fail to grasp that opportunity in a meaningful manner.

Let's just stick that in our pockets for a moment while we work through the issues you presented in your post.

I would like to address your state vs. federal issues first.

In the guardianship proceeding wherein Michael petitioned the court to terminate life support, both Michael and Terri's parents (by and through counsel) applied STATE law as set forth in previous state case law. In February 2000, the trial court made findings of fact and conclusions of law . . . however, given the hodgepodge manner in which the trial court wrote its opinion . . . it is difficult to distinquish between findings of fact and conclusions of law. The trial court's decision is POORLY written.

Michael had the burden of PROOF, by clear and convincing evidence (a very high standard of proof), that it was Terri's intention to have nutrition and hydration removed.

Under normal circumstances, findings of fact are not subject to appellate review except if the findings are clearly erroneous. If there is even a scintilla of evidence to support a finding of fact, an appellate court is required to affirm the findings. The appellate court does not undertake a de novo review of the evidence to determine whether the evidence satisfied the clear and convincing standard. Unless statutorily required to do so, appellate courts do NOT reweigh the evidence on appeal.

See, In re the Guardianship of Theresa Marie Schiavo, 2005 Fla. App. LEXIS 3574:

Quote:
The [guardian ad litem] concludes that the trier of fact and the evidence that served as the basis for the decisions regarding Theresa Schiavo were firmly grounded within Florida statutory and case law, which clearly and unequivocally provide for the removal of artificial nutrition in cases of persistent vegetative states, where there is no advance directive, through substituted/proxy judgment of the guardian and/or the court as guardian, and with the use of evidence regarding the medical condition and the intent of the parties that was deemed, by the trier of fact to be clear and convincing.

So, throughout these entire state court proceedings, Terri's family has been stuck with the trial court's finding of fact. AND, once the trial court finds the facts . . . the only thing left to do is apply the law. AND, in accordance with state law (article I, section 23, of the Florida Constitution) both competent and incompetent persons have the right to forego life-prolonging procedures.

BUT, the thing I find most troubling is that Terri's parents NEVER argued in state court that alleged hearsay statements offered by parties / witnesses with conflicting interests to prove the truth of the matter asserted . . . that Terri would want the feeding tube removed . . . CANNOT as a MATTER OF LAW suffice as clear and convincing evidence that Terry herself would give her informed consent to remove the feeding tube rather than choose to preserve her FEDERAL constitutionally-protected right to life. Terri's parents NEVER argued that Florida law (that allowed hearsay evidence to be used as a basis for ordering her death) AS APPLIED to Terri's case violated her substantive due process right to LIFE protected by the Fourteenth Amendment.

THIS IS AN IMPORTANT "FEDERAL" ARGUMENT that WAS NEVER MADE. Accordingly, there was NO FEDERAL QUESTION involved in Terri's parents' appeal to the United States Supreme Court. Therefore, the fact that the U.S. Supreme Court denied the motion for an emergency injunction and/or a petition for writ of certiorari is understandable.

But, the fact still remains that each and every one of us have a substantial, fundmental RIGHT TO LIFE that is protected by the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution. The fact that Terri's parents dropped the federal ball doesn't make the Florida trial court decision "constitutional" under federal law. The Florida courts have NEVER addressed the federal constitutional issue. The only issues before the appellate court were allegations of procedural errors.

AND . . . when given the opportunity to finally make a FEDERAL claim in a FEDERAL court based on a violation of SUBSTANTIVE due process . . . Terri's parents dropped the ball again and simply repeated their procedural complaints in federal court. It's very disappointing -- ESPECIALLY when CONGRESS gave them a unique opportunity for a de novo federal court proceeding concerning Terri's rights protected by the Constitution.

If you read the cases that I cited, you will see that a SUBSTANTIVE due process analysis must begin with a CAREFUL DESCRIPTION of the asserted right.

E.g., Terri has a SUBSTANTIVE due process right to life that the state may not infringe upon, regardless of the procedures used, unless that infringement is narrowly tailored to serve a compelling state interest. The State has no compelling interest in ordering Terri's death based upon the hearsay evidence offered by persons with conflicting interests that Terry would want the feeding tube removed--especially when contradictory evidence is presented that Terry would want to live. That hearsay evidence cannot suffice as clear and convincing evidence as a matter of law when the fundamental right to LIFE is threatened because an erroneous decision based on hearsay evidence cannot be corrected once the person is DEAD. When family members disagree concerning what the person's wishes might have been under these circumstances, the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment requires that the person's fundamental right to life be protected and Florida State law was unconstitutionally applied to Terri's case.

I understand that the legal distinctions that I am making are beyond some people's comprehension because they have not studied the law . . . and even lawyers unfamiliar with constitutional law have a hard time understanding the proper arguments that ought to be made in cases such as this.

Please read WASHINGTON et al. v. GLUCKSBERG et al., 521 US 702 (1997) http://laws.findlaw.com/us/521/702.html

Quote:
Held: Washington's prohibition against "caus[ing]" or "aid[ing]" a suicide does not violate the Due Process Clause. Pp. 5-32.

(a) An examination of our Nation's history, legal traditions, and practices demonstrates that Anglo American common law has punished or otherwise disapproved of assisting suicide for over 700 years; that rendering such assistance is still a crime in almost every State; that such prohibitions have never contained exceptions for those whowere near death; that the prohibitions have in recent years been reexamined and, for the most part, reaffirmed in a number of States; and that the President recently signed the Federal Assisted Suicide Funding Restriction Act of 1997, which prohibits the use of federal funds in support of physician assisted suicide. Pp. 5-15.

(b) In light of that history, this Court's decisions lead to the conclusion that respondents' asserted "right" to assistance in committing suicide is not a fundamental liberty interest protected by the Due Process Clause. The Court's established method of substantive due process analysis has two primary features: First, the Court has regularly observed that the Clause specially protects those fundamental rights and liberties which are, objectively, deeply rooted in this Nation's history and tradition. E.g., Moore v. East Cleveland, 431 U.S. 494, 503 (plurality opinion). Second, the Court has required a "careful description" of the asserted fundamental liberty interest. E.g., Reno v. Flores, 507 U.S. 292, 302 . The Ninth Circuit's and respondents' various descriptions of the interest here at stake--e.g., a right to "determin[e] the time and manner of one's death," the "right to die," a "liberty to choose how to die," a right to "control of one's final days," "the right to choose a humane, dignified death," and "the liberty to shape death"--run counter to that second requirement. Since the Washington statute prohibits "aid[ing] another person to attempt suicide," the question before the Court is more properly characterized as whether the "liberty" specially protected by the Clause includes a right to commit suicide which itself includes a right to assistance in doing so. This asserted right has no place in our Nation's traditions, given the country's consistent, almost universal, and continuing rejection of the right, even for terminally ill, mentally competent adults. To hold for respondents, the Court would have to reverse centuries of legal doctrine and practice, and strike down the considered policy choice of almost every State. Respondents' contention that the asserted interest is consistent with this Court's substantive due process cases, if not with this Nation's history and practice, is unpersuasive. The constitutionally protected right to refuse lifesaving hydration and nutrition that was discussed in Cruzan, supra, at 279, was not simply deduced from abstract concepts of personal autonomy, but was instead grounded in the Nation's history and traditions, given the common law rule that forced medication was a battery, and the long legal tradition protecting the decision to refuse unwanted medical treatment. And although Casey recognized that many of the rights and liberties protected by the Due Process Clause sound in personal autonomy, 505 U.S., at 852 , it does not follow that any and all important, intimate, and personal decisions are so protected, see San Antonio School Dist. v. Rodriguez, 411 U.S. 1, 33 -34. Casey did notsuggest otherwise. Pp. 15-24.

(c) The constitutional requirement that Washington's assisted suicide ban be rationally related to legitimate government interests, see e.g., Heller v. Doe, 509 U.S. 312, 319 -320, is unquestionably met here. These interests include prohibiting intentional killing and preserving human life; preventing the serious public health problem of suicide, especially among the young, the elderly, and those suffering from untreated pain or from depression or other mental disorders; protecting the medical profession's integrity and ethics and maintaining physicians' role as their patients' healers; protecting the poor, the elderly, disabled persons, the terminally ill, and persons in other vulnerable groups from indifference, prejudice, and psychological and financial pressure to end their lives; and avoiding a possible slide towards voluntary and perhaps even involuntary euthanasia. The relative strengths of these various interests need not be weighed exactingly, since they are unquestionably important and legitimate, and the law at issue is at least reasonably related to their promotion and protection. Pp. 24-31.

Terry never gave her informed consent to the removal of the feeding tube in the circumstances she now finds herself in . . . and in the absence of clear and convincing evidence such as a living will signed by Terri upon being informed of all relevant medical information . . . our federal constitution simply does not authorize voluntary or involuntary euthanasia no matter how fair people think the state procedures were that brought her to this point.

Again, and again, and again . . . this is not a matter of procedural due process . . . this is a matter of SUBSTANTIVE due process. BUT . . . what good are federal protections when no one has ever asserted those protections on Terri's behalf . . . and when Congress handed Terri's parents a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to bring their case into a federal forum and have the matter heard on a de novo basis . . . they dredged up the same old alleged "procedural" claims and the federal judge had no choice but to slam the door in their face.

I am TOTALLY disgusted.

So, Thomas, this is NOT an "affirmative duty to protect" case. You are entering an entirely different matter. The general rule is that the government has no affirmative duty to protect an individual from the criminal acts of a private party. For the sake of understanding, let's say that Terri had called the police and asked them to come to her apartment because she was afraid that Michael would hurt her. Let's say that the police failed to respond to her call and that Michael had beaten Terri so viciously that the beating caused Terri's current impairment. Let's say that Terri's parents then sued the city police department for failing to protect Terri from the beating inflicted upon her. The city would then turn around and assert the defense that the city had no affirmative duty to protect Terri from Michael's criminal act. The suit would be dismissed.

This is NOT a case wherein the state government is asserting a defense of "no affirmative duty to protect," so your comment that Terri has no rights protected by the constitution unless the state has an affirmative duty to protect is simply without merit. The state, however, is PROHIBITED by the Constitution from itself causing Terri's death (under the color of state law via a court order) unless the state has a compelling interest in doing so. The state has no compelling interest in ordering Terri's death. SEE ABOVE.

In our federal government, our federal constitution is supreme. This is not a case of state rights being trampled upon by the federal government. Terri has a substantive due process right to life that the state may not infringe upon unless it has a compelling interest in doing so, regardless of how fair you might think the state's procedures might have been.

This is not a procedural due process case; this is a substantive due process case. But, the attorneys for Terri's parents never argued substantive due process violations and now Terri will die.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 06:11 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
You got that right, edgar. If I'm ever in the state Terri is in now, I don't expect my wife to live out her life without another partner if she so chooses. Some people wanting to impose their own wishes on somebody else is beyond arrogance.
Rolling Eyes My position doesn't include an opinion on what the next of kin should do. Yours does. Sorry that doesn't accommodate your desire to insult but I'm sure you won't let that slow you down any. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 06:13 pm
Quote:
The fact that she cannot answer for herself is the ONLY reason her estranged husband retains next of kin status. However inconvenient that FACT is for certain arguments; it remains undeniably simple, doesn't it?

Bill, this is complete speculation on your part.

She may decide she doesn't want a divorce and wants to raise the kids from the other woman. Just because your speculation is "reasonable" doesn't mean it isn't speculation.

The issue of Michael's adultery was raised with the court. The court dismissed it. Reraising the issue doesn't make it any more valid to the court. It may seem completely reasonable to you but your opinion isn't the deciding one. The court's opinion is, and the court has ruled on it. Every court will take that existing ruling into account in future rulings.

Quote:
I suspect, like many here, you are letting your personal feelings on the quality of Terri's current existence cloud your judgment on the obvious FACT that Michael's sole purpose in remaining married to a vegetable is to end her life. That may be for the best of reasons. That may be for the worst of reasons. But I don't see how a reasonable person can suggest that it's the basis for a marriage.
Bill, perhaps it is you that is letting your personal feelings cloud your judgetment. This again is complete speculation on your part. Perhaps he believed the part of the ceremony that said "Til death do we part". Perhaps he is a devout Catholic when it comes to marriage as an institution but doesn't feel the same way about fidelity. (This is quite common in S America.) There is no evidence to support why he has remained married to her. We only have his word. People stay married for lots of reasons. Many of them don't make any sense to reasonable people. But people outside the marriage don't have the right to step in and demand a divorce.

Quote:
While it is beyond obvious that the Florida Courts have consistently ruled that Michael has the right to do what he's doing; it is absurd to deny the academic relevance of mine and others positions.
Academic relevance? That is a matter of opinion. Legal relevance? That has been decided.

Bill, your entire argument is based on too many assumptions. You assume you know what Terri would do if she woke up tomorrow. Terri won't wake up tomorrow. You don't know with any certainty what she would do. This is like claiming you are 75% sure what will happen if an event occurs that has a 0% probability.

If you want to make this an "academic exercise" then lets remove it completely from the Schiavo case and discuss it. I will bet you won't feel the same way when the issue is only about intrusion into marriage.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 06:25 pm
Naw, it seems your opinion overrides all the doctors and judges that have already decided the case in Michael's favor.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 06:55 pm
Keep in mind that this is all a further sign of an obvious neoconservative movement to change the laws of nature and the rules of science to fit their own political agenda. Bush has been trying to change the laws of physics for quite a while now in order to accomodate his corporate buddies...
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 06:59 pm
C.I., your apparent inability to read simple English is a riot. Laughing

Dookie, your "neo conservative" paranoia is as obvious as your perception is lacking. I don't even know the politics of two of the most strident defenders of Terri's right to live on these threads... but I'm pretty sure they aren't Bush fans. It is you who can't separate the issue from your politics, as usual.

Parados, that post was for Phoenix but I urge you to examine my position completely absent the Schiavo case and it should be clear you would lose that bet. :wink:

Perhaps that will be easier for you to swallow if I tell you that: Based on everything I've read, I don't believe any treatment would significantly alter Terri's existence in any meaningful way. Killing her may very well be the most humane thing to do. My contention is that's none of mine, yours or even her estranged husband's business this long after he understandably moved on from their marriage. My position would not change if Terri's parents wanted to mercifully let her die and it was Michael fighting tooth and nail for her right to live. I wholeheartedly believe it is a statutory oversight that allows a husband to remain next of kin by virtue of his wife's inability to speak for herself. Yes, those are assumptions... but I believe they are assumptions that an unbiased jury of reasonable people would arrive at, and I find your argument to the contrary intellectually bankrupt. Set aside the reason you are being asked what a person might do in such a situation the answer should become obvious.

I don't know how to more clearly concede the legality of the lower court's decisions. If I understand Windy Joe correctly; the lower courts had no authority to even examine the legality of the law they were interpreting. Not so the higher courts so your repeated demands that I recognize the consistent decisions by the lower courts are both headed and largely irrelevant to my position. Please abandon your assumptions on what my motivations be and simply read what I write if you wish to understand me. I will happily clarify any position I hold for those who legitimately misunderstand me. You've probably noticed I don't offer that courtesy to the deliberately obtuse so don't let's go there.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 07:09 pm
Quote:
My contention is that's none of mine, yours or even her estranged husband's business this long after he understandably moved on from their marriage.

Bill- But this is YOUR take on the issue, and not the law of the land. Ethically and morally, I will give you that you may have a valid point, but I am still not sure. All that I can say, is that if you consider the issue of next of kin in exceptional circumstances, you might just want to fight for a change in the law. That is your right.

In my life I have seen a number of instances that might be similar to that of the Schiavos. I knew a woman whose husband had Alzheimers' disease, and was in a nursing home. She was an athletic, vital woman. She also had a "friend" who accompanied her regularly on trips and outings. If there were any more to the relationship, I didn't know about it, but that is besides the point.

Anyhow, this woman made it a point to visit her husband in the nursing home every afternoon. Should she have lost the right to make medical decisions for her husband, because she had another relationship? I don't think so.

I think that one needs to have known people who have been in knotty situations, and really understand the ramification of some situations, and the impact on peoples' lives,before one can stand in judgment.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 07:17 pm
Bill, Your inability to understand the laws of the land is lacking BIG TIME. Your personal opinion has zilch impact on the laws of Florida and the decisions already made. Get over it; it's not your decision to make no matter how grandiose you think your ideas are. Besides, it's ALL WRONG.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 07:20 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
C.I., your apparent inability to read simple English is a riot. Laughing

Dookie, your "neo conservative" paranoia is as obvious as your perception is lacking. I don't even know the politics of two of the most strident defenders of Terri's right to live on these threads... but I'm pretty sure they aren't Bush fans. It is you who can't separate the issue from your politics, as usual.
Parados, that post was for Phoenix but I urge you to examine my position completely absent the Schiavo case and it should be clear you would lose that bet. :wink:

Perhaps that will be easier for you to swallow if I tell you that: Based on everything I've read, I don't believe any treatment would significantly alter Terri's existence in any meaningful way. Killing her may very well be the most humane thing to do. My contention is that's none of mine, yours or even her estranged husband's business this long after he understandably moved on from their marriage. My position would not change if Terri's parents wanted to mercifully let her die and it was Michael fighting tooth and nail for her right to live. I wholeheartedly believe it is a statutory oversight that allows a husband to remain next of kin by virtue of his wife's inability to speak for herself. Yes, those are assumptions... but I believe they are assumptions that an unbiased jury of reasonable people would arrive at, and I find your argument to the contrary intellectually bankrupt. Set aside the reason you are being asked what a person might do in such a situation the answer should become obvious.

I don't know how to more clearly concede the legality of the lower court's decisions. If I understand Windy Joe correctly; the lower courts had no authority to even examine the legality of the law they were interpreting. Not so the higher courts so your repeated demands that I recognize the consistent decisions by the lower courts are both headed and largely irrelevant to my position. Please abandon your assumptions on what my motivations be and simply read what I write if you wish to understand me. I will happily clarify any position I hold for those who legitimately misunderstand me. You've probably noticed I don't offer that courtesy to the deliberately obtuse so don't let's go there.

Well you seem so sure of an awful lot that goes against the grain of most medical professionals, so what do you suppose that tells the rest of us?

How could you possibly know the political leanings of Terri's family enough to now make yet another ill-informed assumption?

And paranoia? You've got to be kidding? When the power of government is firmly in the hands of ONE party, it doesn't take a rocket scientist who understand the political nature of this ONE issue, let alone the bandwagon that DeLay, Dr. (tears spreads AIDS) Frist, and the rest of the wacked out congressional conservatives who are only looking more like fools everyday. And NOW we have government intrusion. You have basically taken the position that only GOVERNMENT can now make these decisions now, NOT doctors, NOT judges, and CERTAINLY not those who loved and cared for Terri (i.e., Michael). Nice. And not just any local government. No... It has to be a conservative congress, sending a bill to be signed by the President, who takes a break from his vacation to accomodate a White House photo op. Forget the fact that he NEVER did this when THOUSANDS of people died from tsunamis, terrorist attacks, and American soldier's deaths in Iraq.

I'm pretty sure YOU didn't read the neoconservative blogs chastising congressional conservatives for not doing ENOUGH. If you did, maybe, just MAYBE, you'd realize how unbelievably political this all is.

It's a common, knee jerk reaction for individuals such as yourself to use terms like "paranoid," "delusional," and other stupid catch phrases when the real issues here are being glossed over by hellbent religious zealots who are threatening to hold their votes from Republicans.

This is a POLITICAL thread, not a medical thread, and certainly not a law thread. Michael is probably as sick as the rest of us who have seen this turned into an utter abomination.

P-O-L-I-T-I-C-S.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 07:35 pm
Awe, shucks, Occum Bill is smarter than everybody. He should run our country.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 08:03 pm
OccomBill writes:
Quote:
My contention is that's none of mine, yours or even her estranged husband's business this long after he understandably moved on from their marriage. My position would not change if Terri's parents wanted to mercifully let her die and it was Michael fighting tooth and nail for her right to live. I wholeheartedly believe it is a statutory oversight that allows a husband to remain next of kin by virtue of his wife's inability to speak for herself. Yes, those are assumptions... but I believe they are assumptions that an unbiased jury of reasonable people would arrive at, and I find your argument to the contrary intellectually bankrupt. Set aside the reason you are being asked what a person might do in such a situation the answer should become obvious.

You assume far to much. Then you make statements that obviously reveal your bias. Her "estranged husband"? I agree, you and I should have no say in this affair. But I differ when it comes to her husband. Her husband, whether estranged or not has rights and privileges that come both legally and morally. You don't get the right to decide when a marriage is no longer a marriage. Your biggest assumption is to assume that your viewpoint is somehow the most prevelant and the most reasonable. My own mother thinks her husband has the right and she is more conservative than you. The US is filled with marriages that have survived infidelity and a lot worse.

I would accept it if you said my argument was morally bankrupt. Morals are something everyone can make choices about and I am sure mine are different from yours. But I don't buy your argument that your opinion is of a better intellectual standing than mine is. They are BOTH opinions. What makes you think that the majority thinks exactly like you?

Let me demonstrate this with the response to another famous marriage that was racked with strife when infidelity was found to have occurred. When Bill Clinton was found out by Hillary. Did you think she should have divorced him? Now compare your opinion to that of the rest of the country. IT was probably split about 50/50. Your viewpoint is not the only one nor is it by any reasonable standard the majority one.

The Catholic viewpoint, of which Terri is Catholic, is that they do not recognize divorce. The Christian thing to do is "forgive" and Terri is Christian. There are lots of reasonable viewpoints that contradict yours. You do not own the only reasonable viewpoint and to think you do is NOT reasonable.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 08:09 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:
My contention is that's none of mine, yours or even her estranged husband's business this long after he understandably moved on from their marriage.

Bill- But this is YOUR take on the issue, and not the law of the land. Ethically and morally, I will give you that you may have a valid point. All that I can say, is that if you consider the issue of next of kin in exceptional circumstances, you might just want to fight for a change in the law. That is your right.
Smile Phoenix, if ethically and morally I may have a valid point; than the only reasonable course of action is for the higher Federal Courts to examine it and set a precedent, one way or another. Am I the only one who finds it absurd that the SC refuses to hear arguments, if only to clearly define their opinion for future use? Confused

Phoenix32890 wrote:
In my life I have seen a number of instances that might be similar to that of the Schiavos. I knew a woman whose husband had Alzheimers' disease, and was in a nursing home. She was an athletic, vital woman. She also had a "friend" who accompanied her regularly on trips and outings. If there were any more to the relationship, I didn't know about it, but that is besides the point.

Anyhow, this woman made it a point to visit her husband in the nursing home every afternoon. Should she have lost the right to make medical decisions for her husband, because she had another relationship? I don't think so.
That doesn't sound like the same situation to me. I've had several people close to me go from hopeless to dead, too and in each case I knew damn well what their wishes would have been (to die). I would trust most of my "Ex's" to act in my best interest, were they ever put in a position to do so. However, after a decade of psuedo marriage to someone else, I don't think their next of kin status should trump my living parents or close sister. Perhaps a next of kin hearing should be required before after X years of estrangement in these uncommon cases. I don't know what exactly the law should be, but believe that the creators of the current Florida Statutes never anticipated this situation and that it is therefore reasonable to question the legality of the potential conflict of interest created by a legal spouse retaining next of kin status indefinitely.

If you substitute a condemned mass murderer for Terri, this type of argument would automatically be considered by a federal court before the killing would take place... as is happening now. Will any of the attorney's here tell me the Supreme Court lacks the authority to rule exactly as I've described? I think not... however unlikely it may be.

Phoenix32890 wrote:
I think that one needs to have known people who have been in knotty situations, and really understand the ramification of some situations, and the impact on peoples' lives,before one can stand in judgment.
I considered my mother's, grandmother's and grandfather's deaths each a blessing, Phoenix. I don't fault those see death as the merciful outcome and don't necessarily disagree in this case. That is not the nature of my complaint. My only judgments of Michael are for his treatment of Terri's parents. He blocked their access to her medical records and fought for the right to cremate Terri without autopsy. Doesn't such bizarre behavior strike you as odd? Why would he demand immediate cremation? If it is vindictive or payback for perceived wrongs; he's an A-hole because he should understand the parent's position regardless of his own. BTW, Michael's ex says he began seeing her again only a year and a half after the injury... well before the settlement and long before he started trying to have her killed. However, again, that has nothing to do with my position. My position wouldn't change if his and her parent's positions were reversed.
0 Replies