ACLU Taking on Schiavo Case

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 07:33 am
There is a story today in the Tampa Tribune about the A.C.L.U joining Michael Schiavo's attorney in filing a 44 page brief detailing why "Terri's Law" (allowing Jeb Bush to overrule the courts to replace her feeding tube.)

Unfortunately, I cannot find this story in the Tampa Tribune Online, although the paper does detail a story about victims of a home invasion who got the intruder drunk, so that they could call the police. (shows you about the priorities of that paper.)

One of the paragraphs that really struck me was about the Schindlers, Terri's parents. It said:

Quote:
The Schindlers desire the appointment of a guardian ad litem empowered to investigate a wide range of issues, including whether their daughter would want a divorce, since her husband lives with another woman, has fathered a child by her and has a second on the way.

If I had not seen it myself, I would not have believed it!

This case is getting more and more bizarre as time goes by!

Found this in the St. Pete Times:

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/10/30/Tampabay/Assault_on_Schiavo_la.shtml
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,069 • Replies: 9
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 07:45 am
whew, and since I was worried that he would feel an obligation to also remain in a vegatative state out of empathy for terri I am glad he at least is continuing with some sembalance of normalcy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 07:51 am
Members of Congress have demonstrated for generations that a vegetative state is no hinderance to a public career--so what's the problem?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 08:17 am
All kidding aside guys, this is really scary. I hope that the ACLU whoops Jeb's ass!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 08:53 am
and they say Jeb is the bright boy of the clan!!!!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 08:59 am
The poor Shiavo (sp?) man is taking a beating by the conservatives. His legal wife has obviously not been in any condition to give him spousal support for years.

Investigate whether someone in a near vegetative state would want a divorce? My understanding is this woman is incapable of speech!

Perhaps, the husband should sue the wife for abandonment: That makes as much sense as anything else here.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 09:02 am
dys- I remember reading somewhere that Jeb's big brother was mighty pleased at what Jeb did. Yuk! He turned the law over on its ass!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 09:07 am
The conservatives claim they want government out of the home, workplace, etc., and that the liberals allow govt to poke into too many private things.

Jeb just used govt to poke into the hospital room of Terri Schiavo and into the bedroom of her husband.

According to this syllogism, either Jeb is a liberal or the conservatives are all liars.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 09:12 am
Quote:
My understanding is this woman is incapable of speech!

POM- Being incapable of speech would not be so bad. Many aphasics have that problem, but are capable of communicating their thoughts and desires. Terri Schaivo, as I understand it, is incapable ot THOUGHT!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 09:43 am
You're right, Phoenix. I just said that she is incapable of speech to highlight the problem of determining whether she wants a divorce.
0 Replies