VW Turbo Diesel Engines

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 05:19 pm
Where does one go for an oil & filter change or other service and maintenance on the diesel model cars? The dealers are quite expensive, but it seems not every place can service my car.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,578 • Replies: 12
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 07:05 pm
Have you looked in the yellow pages or the internet?
0 Replies

alyshalynn

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 02:00 am
uhmm
well, of course - that's what i'm doing right now, on the internet. i was just wondering what other people might have come across that i had missed, but thanks for insulting my intelligence.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 02:36 am
Re: uhmm
alyshalynn wrote:
thanks for insulting my intelligence.

You see this is an international website.

What would you think about my answer:

"every medium seized petrol station can do such"?

(Which they really can do - in Germany for instance.)

Welcome to A2K, btw :wink:

<edited to correct typo>
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 02:47 am
Re: uhmm
alyshalynn wrote:
well, of course - that's what i'm doing right now, on the internet. i was just wondering what other people might have come across that i had missed, but thanks for insulting my intelligence.

Intelligence, yes. Location would be a start.

Something else: when you buy an auto, you should consider that sooner or later it will need to be serviced. The location of your nearest service station may influence your decision.
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 04:49 pm
In answer to your question, an oil change on a diesel is no different than on a gas engine. You drain the pan, change the filter, and refill it. Make sure wherever you go that they use the right oil (which your owner's manual will tell you).

Its the exact same procedure, so just go where you normally go. If you want a dealer experience without the hassle of paying the VW prices, go to a GM dealer. They train at the same school, get the same degree, and use the same brand of tools. For that matter, go to a Ford or BMW garage Smile

Although I don't recommend quick lube places, you could try one of the other chains like meineke or midas.
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 09:55 pm
Alysshia,

I think Curtis is right. There is nothing different between gas and diesel engines, at least as far as oil changes.
And as Curtis said, make sure that the oil is correct for diesels.

Our 1996 Passat diesel with 250,000 miles, is starting and running very well. Parked outdoors at 10 below zero, with no warming devise of any kind, it took about 20 secs for the glow plug light to go out. No start. One more try and it was up and running.
0 Replies

A Lex Ass

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 12:02 pm
Hi,

New to this site so please bare with me.

I have just purchased a VW Passat Turbo Diesel (1.9 L indirect inject not the TDi). The manual is generic for the petrol and diesel models. The oil that is recommended for the Canadian climate is anywhere from 5W30 (winter) to 10W30 (summer). I understand the grading, but is there special 10W30 oil for diesel engines? Is the filter the same style as with petrol engines?

Thanks,
Alex
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 09:43 pm
Alex,
Regardng oil for VW diesels. I owned a 1987 Jetta non-turbo diesel.
I used "regular" oil designated for diesel engines. I believe I used 10-40
weight year round. Don's let anybody try to persuae you to use any oil not specifically marked "for diesels."

The1987 lasted 180,000 miles. I traded in for a 1996 Passat diesel TDI.
I have used and still use fully sythetic oil in all my cars. I use 5 - 30 weight year round.

The Passat turbo diesel TDI has 250,000 miles on it. It gets in the low forties mpg driven hard ( 80 milles an hour). iIt burns very little oil. It started riight up at 10 below zero this past winter. NO block heater or plug in devices. And parked out doors. With fuel prices what they are, I've been offered way above the book value.
By the way, I change oil about every 6 to 8 thousand miles. Sometimes, ten thousdand miles. That makes the price of fulliy syntheitic aliittle more tolerable.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 10:21 pm
Any quality name-brand oil, coolant fluid, and filters, meetin' your vehicle manufacturor's spec of course, will serve perfectly well. If you don't mind the work, you can do oil, fluid and filter changes yourself. The whole deal with 'em is not who does it, or how or with what brand of whatever stuff it is done (as long as specs are met and normal good practice is followed), but how regularly they are done.

Synthetic oils, while pricey, are very good, but still are no substitute for regular amintenance - you can stretch the interval a bit, but thats about it. Both diesels and turbos tend to be a little tougher on lubricants and coolant fluids than other types in similar drivin' conditions, so call for even closer attention to detail, but that's all.

BTW - if the turbo has been run hard, its generally a good idea to let the engine idle a couple minutes before shuttin' it off - gives the bearin's a chance to cool a bit before the lubricant depresurizes and drains away on engine shutdown.
0 Replies

A Lex Ass

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 07:00 am
Thanks guys,

I'm new to the whole diesel thing, but learning. I just wasn't sure if the oil has to be "for diesel" 5W-30 not just the regular stuff I buy for my gas vehicles.

BillyFalcon, originally I wanted a VW TDI, but the price difference from the TD to the TDi was more then I could afford. The TDi is head an shoulders better than the TD, but at double what I paid and 50,000 more kms it wasn't worth it. I plan on getting at least 5 years out of this Passat. Made in Germany cars are much better quality than made in Brazil / Mexico.
0 Replies

arwyn 5

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 04:09 pm
turbo
will a turbo off a diesel car fit on a petrol engine.please reply,send to [email protected]
0 Replies

Tragik82

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 06:04 pm
@alyshalynn,
Goto walmart tire and lube. You get your car cleaned, windshield wash, check air pressure, check lights, fill up all the fluid under the hood. Around $30 and you have to buy the oil if it's over 5 quarts.
0 Replies