Identity origins - wherefrom your (great)grandparents?

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 02:12 pm
I came from the Stork.

Mostly English and Polish. Then some other things thrown in. I'm a mutt.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 07:15 am
My oldest sister is the keeper of the flame, but insofar as I can remember without referring to the book that she wrote. (around here somewhere) straight line, both sides, England and Wales. To my knowledge, the only person who has ever left Virginia in many, many years is Letty. Laughing

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle--nimh is habibi Shocked
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 07:27 am
My ancestors have been born in the US for over 200 years. So I am a real mixture. French, English, and what my mother called Scotch Irish (do not know what that means exactly). My mother's family started in Virginia Letty indentured workers who eventually earned there freedom and moved west, Ohio, Kansas, Colorado. My father's family all New Yorker's and English.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 08:38 am
Joanne,

Here is a link that may help:

http://philnorf.tripod.com/scotch-i.htm
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 09:41 am
Maternal great-grandparents: 2 were Scandinavian and Irish (Nova Scotia settlers and Galway County, Ireland)
Other 2 were Irish, possibly Cork County - never came to US

Paternal great-grandparents - 2 were Irish, county unknown, came to US (gg-mother maiden name Mahns, if this looks familiar to anyone)
Other gg-parents - Welsh and Sioux Indian and Irish (Welsh came to US during American Revolution), wife was Irish, County unknown.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 10:11 am
No traditions survived in my family except for Okie cheapness. Maternal grandmother was a Wallach, first generation American, parents German. Maternal grandfather's roots were Swedish, Swiss (name: Zimmerman), and English (among others, probably). Paternal grandmother was a MacKenzie, but I don't know anything about her roots, and I don't think she did either, except that all the men in her family were very tall and all the women very short. Paternal grandfather was English, Cherokee (I think; the tribe could be misremembered, but his grandmother was Native American), and et al...

Big mutt, though. Inherited more of my makeup from the residual 60s counterculture and politics around the house than from disparate deep roots.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 10:12 am
Oh, the gf's grandmother is English and a raving bigot, so to her I'm not just German, Cherokee, and Scots, but also Irish. It really burns her up, I think...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 09:31 pm
Letty wrote:

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle--nimh is habibi Shocked

yep! the very same ... <smiles> ... hi letty, i dont believe i said "hi, nice to see you back" to you yet ;-)

This thread would have given me away ... <smiles>

i hope your shock doesnt reflect anything all too unpleasantly surprised about my posts here on a2k? ;-?

great posts here, thank you all very much.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 09:41 pm
at last, the secret of nimh revealed. What made me smile today? You, my friend. Smile
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 10:52 pm
Well now I learned something from that link Letty it makes so much sense. For instance my great, great grand father joined the Union Army from Ohio, Ohio is next door to Pennsylvania, but he died many years later in Kansas (he served 1860-1863). Most of the family records I do have are from the National Archives re Grand Father Pittman's war record.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 05:43 am
Ukrainian ... back, back & back ...
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 06:24 am
American back to the 1600s, one great great grandmother a Native American, thank god. Before that we were Scottish or Irish.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 09:01 pm
American mongrel but mostly Irish and French. My ancestors have been in the U.S. for a very long time. Back woods mostly.
0 Replies

Orophin

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 07:43 pm
I've managed to trace most of the branches in my family tree back about 5 or 6 generations. A great accomplishment, I feel, since no living members of my family have any records relating to heritage.

Great(x3)grandfather and great(x3)grandmother came from Wurtemburg, Germany somewhere around the 1860's. He changed his name from Johann to John. I'd love to know if he officially changed it at his port of arrival or later on, but have yet to come across that info.

A great(x4)grandfather on my father's side was born on en route to America from Ireland (the poor mother!).

It's been said that great(x2)grandparents on my mother's side emigrated from Ireland, changing the family name from O'Grady to Grady. My father also tells me that his greatgrandmother was Cherokee. This is another bit of info I'd love to confirm! (To think, I may actually have an inborn right to inhabit this land! Smile )

I continue to search for more information on my lineage as my schoolwork and social life permit. :wink: If anyone knows of some good genealogy websites, please post them! I'm waist-deep in bookmarked pages that I haven't had time to browse, but I always welcome more!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 09:25 pm
Paternal: grandfather born in the Canary Islands, Spain. Arrived at Cuba at age 2; grandmother born in Cuba, from Canarian parents.

Maternal: grandfather born in Cuba, Canarian origin; grandmother born in Cuba, her ancestors came from Murcia, Spain [a nobleman who killed his wife and her lover and fled to the American continent, says the family legend], the Canary Islands and somewhere in East Africa (coming to America in a slave ship).
0 Replies