I have an art exam on monday, does anyone have any tips?

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 04:58 am
Hello, just wondering if anyone had any tips for my art exam? I'm a bit worried!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,133 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 07:28 am
what kind of art exam? practical? art history?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 08:39 am
In both cases, a lot of study helps although it's normal to have nerves before any exam. The more study, the less worry. As Vivien pointed out, an art history exam could be entirely different. I'm guessing it is art history as I never had an "exam" in drawing and painting or design classes.
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 03:01 pm
If this is an Art History exam, and you have been doing the work as you go along, all I'd do is review the works/images you have studied, decide which ones are most important to your understanding of the course, and then ask yourself why they are so significant. This done, I'd relax over the weekend, allowing the artworks and ideas to settle comfortably in your mind, ready for drawing upon come Monday.

If you'll be writing essays, remember that most readers do not enjoy working with linear [A, B, C...therefore, Z] exposition. And one's thinking about art, in particular, is NOT apt to be linear! Plunge in with your first good idea about the question, then spin out your essay from there. You'll have an engaging pattern that is in synch with the patterns of actual thought. Good luck!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 04:19 pm
Right, Miklos -- it's a call to be analytical and that's what one is primarilly graded on. If one doesn't have an analytical mind (I consider myself to be inflicted with it and battle with that constantly), they can sometimes fake it.
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:30 pm
No, it is a practical thx for the advice on art history exams though... It's a year 10 art exam, I have to do a final piece in a ten hour exam, natural forms...10 hours!!!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:37 pm
Brew lots of coffee! You made me shudder remembering my days at UCLA at those art history exams. I managed to do just fine, though.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 02:49 am
10 hours? good luck!

I don't know what year 10 means as our education system is different. It sounds like final year at school? For A level I had the equivalent of that - 4 lots of 3 hour practical exams and an Art History <shudder>

Just relax and go for it, don't get tense 'cos it comes out in the work.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 05:28 am
Vivien

In Oz year 10 is what used to be fourth form in high school. But I don't know which country honey_rose_cr hails from.

Honey_rose

Good luck! Very Happy
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 01:44 pm
Year 10 is the second to last year in secondary school, I'm in the UK by the way. Thx for the advice guys, I had 5 hours of the exam today and it went....pretty well...nothing went drastically wrong!!! Just another 5 hours to go!!!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 02:30 pm
Great, glad to hear it..
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 03:56 am
Well done! Very Happy
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 06:38 am
Very Happy
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 05:48 pm
As a general rule, I find it best to memorize facts at night before going to sleep (this minimizes "interference") and then to do difficult reading and writing in the morning when you are refreshed (not at night when you are tired). ALWAYS get plenty of sleep before an exam.
JLNobody
0 Replies

Stella 1

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 02:02 pm
i've got my GCSE art exam (practical) on friday next week. my theme is bollywood...not sure i'm getting anywhere though. but anyway...hope everything went ok in the exam, was this a mock exam or are you sitting it early?
0 Replies