[closed]Topics without a place to land

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 01:27 am
I often have topics that have to do with 'land use' that interest me to post. They may at first glance belong in North America or Europe, or Asia. Or under music, if a new building is a symphony hall. Or under an Environmental forum, if re resource allocation.

Apparently my key interest - architecture and site planning and their pros and cons - is little apprehended here, and for that I cast no darts, though it may seem this is - I didn't learn about these matters myself until some time recently, after I was about forty..

I constantly run across news to discuss about building issues, urban life issues, construction in the force of hurricane issues, matters re memorials, and so on. I think of this all in a way as fitting under Site Design, but this is not a usual category either here or on the internet in general.

So, if I have a topic to post under this general umbrella, do I put it in general, or under the individual topic (north america)(home improvement?) that it fits and will be lost in?

Clearly I am promoting a future Site forum - not just architecture but lots of arguments re land use.

In the mean time, I have some links, and I'll put them in the WA2k thread, again. I guess that is under General...
back with a link.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,216 • Replies: 26
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 09:08 am
It would really be environmental, wouldn't it? Two problems. . . . We don't seem to have such a forum, and site planning/design are not at all what one would expect to find under such a heading.

Land use and siting should be big issues, but yeah, where to put them. WA2K really sounds like hiding it somewhere in the gossip column.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:24 am
There are some forum expansions planned (i.e. something like fashion or design is planned), and when we have nested forums we will be far more atomic in categorization.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:26 am
Oh, good...
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 07:12 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
There are some forum expansions planned (i.e. something like fashion or design is planned), and when we have nested forums we will be far more atomic in categorization.

I already think this is the best site in the world, and it's going to get better... Very Happy

Thank you for all of your work folks.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 07:30 am
"Atomic"??????
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 07:46 am
dlowan what do you think about this. I beleive you would have much to offer such a topic, more than I could ever come up with.
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1229716#1229716

Another good reason for this would be, to help people who don't have insurance and can't afford to pay a therapist $100+ an hour to get help.

I'm just thinking out-loud. I'm sure craven and the hampsters have plenty to do already, I have no idea what it's like to run a web site like this, and changing the format (or whatever it's called) must involve alot of work.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 10:17 am
Actually, it isn't difficult at all. About as easy as posting a new question that requires a few minutes of thought on how you want to organize it.

I think a Psychology section would be great. Course, one wouldn't want to give legal or medical advice here, but I agree that a mind is a terrible thing to waste. Can think of tons of great discussions for a psych forum.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 11:30 am
My little corner of 'need' is media. I'm often interested in what's happening in journalism - but don't want it to be a political discussion - it doesn't fit into books, tv or film. I've tried international news, but that didn't quite work either. Can't imagine it's easy figuring out the categories - I keep heading back to the Dewey decimal system, and I don't think that'd be optimal here.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 12:31 pm
I think I made an impassioned plea for a category "Culture" once. There's several subcategories on items of popular culture (film, music, video games); there's the news categories that mostly focus on politics; there's the categories by continent that (are to) focus on travelling, sights; there's history. But where is, say, an anthropologically or sociologically inclined person to propose discussing such or so an item about changes in cultural patterns, youth culture, cultural self-perceptions, news items related to such themes? Well, any of the categories I listed might suffice, I guess, but none is a good fit ...

I'd also heartily second Ebeths plea for a "media" forum!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 12:40 pm
Found that thread where I went on about a forum on culture-with-a-small-c the first time (but accidentally closed the window again, so no link). In that thread there was also talk of a forum on Style. That would be cool. It could cover fashion as well as trends in interior design/furniture, the look of cafes/restaurants/clubs, stuff like that. And Ebeth and CJ could share editorship <evil giggle>.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 12:56 pm
You're not planning to live to 40, are you.

Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 01:08 pm
And I agree on liking to see media, style, and culture forums set up.

Land use-design issues don't really fit Style or Fashion all that well (though they sometimes do) as style is a tip of the iceberg re such matters as designing inexpensive homes that can withstand hurricane force, whether people should build on cliff edges or beaches, or examples of re-use of old WalMart buildings...
It's true that posting model of a new opera house designed for Shanghai could be seen as about style.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 09:35 am
Such great ideas from everyone!

Osso, I've seen your architecture posts, it seems as if they get buried, and not for lack of interest, they seem to need their own home. I would love to see a forum on buildings and landscape design. I live in a town that has a castle and many mansions made by owners of shoe factories, all from a by-gone era, the mansions are beautifully designed and unique. I sometimes pull over while driving and just look at them.

ehBeth, a non-political media forum sounds wonderful, and a fashion and design forum,...boy do I have a bee in my bonnet.

I guess we can at least put these ideas on an A2K wish list.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 09:47 pm
this is the kind of column/article/something I'd love to find a place to discuss/review

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/explainer/

Quote:
Opinion pages explained
Separate but equal

Some readers get confused about the relationship between the editorial page and the rest of the newspaper, especially since the term "editorial" is often used to describe everything in the Globe that is not advertising. But the news operation, led by editor Marty Baron, is completely separate from the editorial (opinion) pages, led by editorial-page editor Renee Loth. The two do not coordinate coverage or influence the others' professional judgments. Globe endorsements of candidates, for example, are made without consultation with any news reporter or editor, and Globe reporters are expected to cover campaigns without regard to whom the editorial page has endorsed. This "separation of church and state," as it is sometimes called, is a cherished tradition at most major newspapers and helps protect the integrity of both operations. Both Baron and Loth report directly to the Globe's publisher, Richard Gilman.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 10:30 pm
That interests me too, eb.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 10:34 pm
I dunno how to keep stuff from rantville or cantville. Not that I am perfect, I just noodled after rexred a day or two ago when I should have tempered my extreme irritation.

Well, I do know, it is by the sheer force of thoughtful posts from folks of whatever persuasion.

And I can be thoughtful and even show elements of logic on occasion, but have pentup emotion too often, so I understand that people need examples and practice.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 06:12 am
ehBeth--

Click the Report button and ask the Mods to move that story to General News. The fit isn't perfect, but the discussion might be.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 06:21 pm
and the next thing I'd love to discuss but can't figure out a home for ...

science?
health?
general news?
philosophy?
languages?

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=4291318

Quote:

Architects Design Town for the Deaf

By Victoria Ward, PA, in New York

Architects and town planners will today begin drawing up blueprints for the first town built entirely for the deaf in the United States.

Almost 100 families, from London to Australia, have reserved space in the South Dakota village, where all business will be conducted in sign language.

Future residents hope to become fully integrated in day-to-day life for the first time, with every element designed specifically for the deaf or hard of hearing.

Buildings will incorporate glass for increased visibility, emergency services will rely on lights as opposed to sirens, while shops, restaurants, petrol stations, hotels and schools will be required to use sign language.

Just listened to a radio interview with one of the planners, and it's got me arguing with myself.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 06:28 pm
http://www.laurentsd.com/

Laurent, South Dakota... A Town for Signers

http://deafness.about.com/cs/featurearticles/a/marthasvineyard.htm

Martha's Vineyard - Where It was Normal to be Deaf

http://www.oliversacks.com/voices.htm

Quote:
SEEING VOICES

With Seeing Voices, Dr. Sacks launches on a journey into the world of the deaf, which he explores with the same passion and insight that have illuminated other human conditions for his readers everywhere.

Seeing Voices begins with the history of deaf people in the United States, the often outrageous ways in which they have been seen and treated in the past, and their continuing struggle for acceptance in a hearing world. And it examines the amazing and beautiful visual language of the deaf--Sign--which has only in the past decade been recognized fully as a language--linguistically complete, rich, and as expressive as any spoken language.

I've referenced Seeing Voices a few times before, was intrigued by the Martha's Vineyard community (which he wrote about in the history portion of the book), and now there's an interest in re-creating that 'utopia'.

<ok, now i'm really talking to myself about this, i'll be all right soon>
0 Replies