who exists?

Mathos

Sun 11 Dec, 2005 01:02 pm
You'll be selling us maidens water mixed with dragons blood next Queenie.

That would be a beneficial tonic, but at what price?
0 Replies

freddemalte

Tue 1 Feb, 2011 04:00 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
Your idea of the world's nature is not impossible, but you could take a chance that others exist, so you will not have negative effects if you're wrong. /Fredrik
The Pentacle Queen

Tue 1 Feb, 2011 04:50 am
@freddemalte,
No I wouldn't. The effects would be exactly the same.

Ha. I wrote this thread seven years ago.
0 Replies

existential potential

Tue 1 Feb, 2011 04:59 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
where did you come from? your mothers body- your mother must exist for you to come out of her, therefore other people exist.

just because we cannot percieve the minds of others, does not mean we cannot reasonably beleive that they exist. people exhibit behaviour in the same way that we do, which suggests that they do have minds.
The Pentacle Queen

Tue 1 Feb, 2011 05:03 am
@existential potential,
I think my point all that time ago was that the world could be a projection of our own mind. Do the people in our dreams have minds? No, yet they still function in the 'sense' of our dreamscape. We have no way of proving either way, which is why I stopped pondering the question. I probably watched the matrix or something, I can't remember.
0 Replies

Old Goat

Tue 1 Feb, 2011 05:05 am
I have a quandry.

Recently, I annoyed myself with several posts I made and, despite giving myself several warnings, I carried on being annoying and in the end I used the ignore button on myself, hoping that it would solve the problem.
Since then, I can't seem to locate my posts anywhere.

Is it the fact that I no longer exist? Or should I just ignore it?

0 Replies

Old Goat

Tue 1 Feb, 2011 05:06 am
Who said that?
0 Replies

existential potential

Tue 1 Feb, 2011 05:13 am
@okietokie,
this sounds similar to a situaiton I can sometimes find myself in- thinking about nothing in particular, which leads me to contemplate on my own thought processes, which occasionally leads to a kind of insight into my usual way of thiniking. it can get so intense that I am sometimes able to understand myself in an entirely different way, and percieve things in new ways.

the only thing I find that prevents me from doing this more often is distraction, which causes me to escape everything for a while and forget. Nighttime seems to be one of the best times to think freely, without becoming distracted by anything.

"Night has a way with colours, it lets blaze the colour of the soul"
0 Replies

freddemalte

Wed 2 Feb, 2011 04:28 am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solipsism

;-)
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Wed 2 Feb, 2011 01:31 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Quote:
i have recently come to the conclusion, against my own will that i am the only person who exists. this may sound a little strange, but i have tried and i find it impossible to believe that there could be anyone else who exists apart from myself. I would like to know what other people think, and whether this is a regular belief, because at the moment my own thoughts are scaring my slightly, as if you believe that only you exist, then there is no way of coming to sensible conclusions over ethical and moral problems. There is no way to gauge right and wrong, good or bad if you take other people out of the equation, so how do i stop myself from becoming some kind of selfish monster???

We all are selfish monsters...and knowing and acknowledging that from the start is probably the best way to stop it... Wink
JLNobody

Wed 2 Feb, 2011 03:27 pm
Some of you already know that I am a monist; I FEEL that there is only one unitary World--and even if some physicists insists there are multiple universes, I see them as the possible components of a single set of universes.
Similar to the view of Hinduism and Buddhism, the World is multi-facited: Brahma (the totality or general ground of all partiular Atmans of which I am one. Brahma consists of an infinity of Atmans. When I meditate I see the content of experience as me, and I am them (tat tvam asi), as the real me, not the environment of the false me, or ego-self. The so-called objects of "my" experience are not things happening to a me; they ARE me.
Therefore, if I am everything and everything is me, does that make me a solipsist?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Wed 2 Feb, 2011 03:27 pm
Some of you already know that I am a monist; I FEEL that there is only one unitary World--and even if some physicists insists there are multiple universes, I see them as the possible components of a single set of universes.
Similar to the view of Hinduism and Buddhism, the World is multi-facited: Brahma (the totality or general ground of all partiular Atmans of which I am one. Brahma consists of an infinity of Atmans. When I meditate I see the content of experience as me, and I am them (tat tvam asi), as the real me, not the environment of the false me, or ego-self. The so-called objects of "my" experience are not things happening to a me; they ARE me.
Therefore, if I am everything and everything is me, does that make me a solipsist?
0 Replies

freddemalte

Sun 6 Feb, 2011 01:10 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Solipsism doesn't have anything to do with selfishness, because the you can live a solipsistic life without being a aware of it. For instance, you may be the only one who exist - but you can't se the difference form the opposite situation.
The Pentacle Queen

Sun 6 Feb, 2011 09:21 pm
@freddemalte,
freddemalte wrote:

Solipsism doesn't have anything to do with selfishness, because the you can live a solipsistic life without being a aware of it. For instance, you may be the only one who exist - but you can't se the difference form the opposite situation.

Very good.
0 Replies

onelife

Mon 11 Mar, 2013 03:29 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
I think we may share the same weird thoughts. Put simply. It only makes sense if
there is just one person in the universe. Once others are introduced then it becomes an enigma. I am an" uneducated academic" so I assume people much cleverer than me can help me out with this scary problem. It won't go away. I cannot resolve it.
Put another way. How come I am the centre of the universe - and so is every other being ?
imans

Mon 11 Mar, 2013 03:37 am
@onelife,
u r not the center of anything when obviously im not
it is amazin how u jump to act for urself jaleousy while there is nothing to b jaleous about, which reveal the liar u r and the freak evil print u force on ur reality of being

only worse would held such means as right pretense of being, any true right being know very well how there is nothing but objective existence

it is the only reason of males value as a symbol of being without havin a sense of being any

it is incredible how far truth is constantly killed to invent lies glory in all powrs

u cant kill the truth and u must know that u will, truth is truth the only present so past and futur not one nor someone moron
0 Replies

JLNobody

Mon 11 Mar, 2013 09:46 am
@onelife,
Does this make any sense to you?: You are the Universe. But more than that, at the same time you, I and everything else are centers of the Universe.
So I guess "solipsism" refers to a very crowded place.
imans

Mon 11 Mar, 2013 10:15 am
@JLNobody,
y r not the universe how dare u claim that neither do i nor anyone else

the universe is its fact relativity to objective existence realities freedom which is relative to true existence freedom superiority which is relative to truth existence freedom rights

the universe as any spacial life is only absolutely as any constant even in concept must b free first and a form cant b free but if absolute one thing reality, so form of freedom being living, which surely is the only way to true freedom superiority from life possibility for true existence reasons

and that is how the universe know already its reference being infinite superiority so never u nor anyone else
that is why ur god lie constantly and all gods bc whatever exist is never lookin at them

that is why mortal conditions of animals and humans are so far possessed for abuse, meanin to possess true existence rights instead of truth freedom, so gods could claim being superior as existence is only to true free superiority

it is too easy apparantly to make u believe anything, as if u invent ur beliefs to lean on any fake excuse to avoid the truth and steal objective rights, it is a freedom way too

while i prove how anything is never about anyone but just to absolute reality of existence facts and objective existence freedom, but u r here too to kill the truth for a misrable form excuse in shoutin then all kind of lies inventions
it is amazin how far u live by killin others rights
u cant b but out of else possession, which prove the liar u r and how far universe is never about u nor that u r a center of anything, when u must keep killin to pretend existing in ur mind
0 Replies

igm

Mon 11 Mar, 2013 10:17 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Does this make any sense to you?: You are the Universe. But more than that, at the same time you, I and everything else are centers of the Universe.
So I guess "solipsism" refers to a very crowded place.

I'v spotted a paradox or should I say 'koan'.
imans

Mon 11 Mar, 2013 10:39 am
@igm,
urself is not ur body, that is why all bodies will always b possessed by else superiority, while the idea is to free bodies from evil life, by only recognizin bodies condition being to truth freedom superiority, which is the exclusive right knowledge realisation of infinite superiority existence rights

that is why the issue is only individual freedom rights, when anyone must b consciously objective and itself constancy source in form being, while it would never b about u

so it is time for individual freedom rights recognition then u r only the relative constant effect of what u realize alone to b part of what u understand is objectively else

one of the major truth principles appear to b else and freedom

when u deal constantly with else existence then u cant b but true left u out so the freedom from all that could b the closest to ur true identity