husker

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 09:12 am
Let's have your Irish Recipes - ones that you have actually prepared - tell me about them - I'm looking close for a Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe - I'm out tonight to buy the fix'ns.

Also what about
Soda Bread
Potato Soup
Boxty

anything else you wish............
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,447 • Replies: 16
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 10:39 am
Please don't mention [size=8]soda bread[/size].
We'll never get Setanta back here, ever.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 10:44 am
Nothing like a grand Irish breakfast to get the heart pumping ....

http://www.foodireland.com/recipes/ICS_picture_breakfast.jpg
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 10:44 am
I love the stuff - when it's well made - LOL
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 10:47 am
As for Corned Beef and Cabbage - yeuch! I think I've had it once, made by my mother and we all laughed at the table when she served it. She just said, well it's what everyone THINKS we eat so I just thought we'd try it once!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 11:42 am
Heeven, too funny.

I've never had it either, don't no anyoner who ever had eaten it and had no idea it's what we of irish stock were supposed to be fed it until recently... who knew?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 11:58 am
My mom made corned beef and cabbage fairly often and I love it. I'll try to write out a recipe for you, husker.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 12:01 pm
corned beef and cabbage, love it (especially the gas that ensues) usually cook them little new potatos in it as well. be sure to add some pepper corns while cooking.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 12:33 pm
Place the meat in a deep pot and add water to cover (if there is a flavor packet included with the brisket, add it now). Bring to a boil, skimming the surface as necessary.

Reduce the heat to establish a slow simmer, cover and continue simmering until the meat is nearly fork tender, about 2 1/2 hours.

This is where my mom's method differs from most: at this point she would put the corned beef in the oven (fat side up) at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes on a rack to let the fat drip down. She swears that this crisps up the corned beef so it's not so rubbery. Let the meat stand for 10 minutes before you slice it.

Add cabbage, sliced potatos, (plus cut-up carrots, turnips, and onions if you want - oh, and rutabaga if you like that) to the cooking water and simmer until the vegetables are cooked (20-30 minutes). Drain well.

Serve with horseradish sauce or mustard for the beef and lots of butter for the vegetables.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 02:04 pm
Just home from the ofice - picked up a 6 lbs piece of meat, already have potatoes and cabbage on hand.

Making plan to make it fork-cut tender.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 02:41 pm
My fave is Steak & Kidney Pie - although that hails from the U.K., can't be deemed an Irish dish I s'pose.

Or second fave Shepherds Pie.

Ah sure a belt of a good stew brings me back too.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 02:50 pm
Just pulled the Corned Beef from the crockpot- man oh man it is delicious Razz
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 03:08 pm
How does the cabbage smell?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 04:03 pm
it's still cooking didn't have room for it, I'm taking it to special dinner tonight
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 05:19 pm
An Irish breakfast is about as tempting as Nike sneakers. Why do they insist in frying the eggs till theyre hard? They make the toast yesterday. Bacon is a salty piece of ham, and those pukey tomatoes and those carp bait pieces of hemmorhagic sausages.
BLAAAAGH.

A Pub lunch consists of something eaten just so everybody doesnt think youre an alcoholic.

The Irish like wonder bread and unidentifiable meat sammiches with nothing on it to kill the taste of the wonder bread.

Irish can NEVER make fun of anybody elses cuisine, well maybe anybody that eats grubs is ok to make fun of..
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:08 pm
Heeven, I like shepherds pie too. Never had steak & kidney pie, most Americans would gag at the thought. ("Eat a KIDNEY???") I'll try it tho, when I get a chance.

Ah, well. I like colcannon the way my mom made it (she learned from her mom, who was born here a couple years after her parents emigrated). Cabbage and potatoes and a bit of bacon if we had it. I don't know how authentic it is, mom also learned how to make egg noodles from her mother and that doesn't sound especially Irish!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 06:15 pm
why is it that the most popular foods in Ireland are in Chinese and Indian restaurants. A guy in town who knows a great deal about international foods than I, stated that the potato has been passed by rice and pasta as the major starch foods in Ireland.

Anyone evr have Ceon Groppe? Ill clue you in whats in it after youve had a chance to digest supper
0 Replies